85% debate continuation

Page 16 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To think about todays safety compared with that time I just wonder how we done it.

There are two things that influenced what could and could not be done back then.
First of all, the H&S legislation was not even in existance, it came, eventually in 1974 after being shelved in 1970.

Secondly, there is nothing stopping an owner working on his own caravan gas system as long as the van is only used by him, which still sands today, however, since 1974 any gas work must comply with the regulations and the person doing the work must be "competent"

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our first caravan was a sprite pulled by Ford Cortina 1500cc in 1964. Travelled all over uk, remember at Malaig had a problem going up the hill near bye. The purpose of my thread is that we had no idea of weight ratios. I done my own tow bar fitting plus electrics and gas work underneath when it had a problem. To think about todays safety compared with that time I just wonder how we done it.

Ditto +1

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There are two things that influenced what could and could not be done back then.
First of all, the H&S legislation was not even in existance, it came, eventually in 1974 after being shelved in 1970.

Secondly, there is nothing stopping an owner working on his own caravan gas system as long as the van is only used by him, which still sands today, however, since 1974 any gas work must comply with the regulations and the person doing the work must be "competent"

Agree but dont forget that when the legislation was introduced it was the Health and Safety at Work Act which at that time did not encompass the wider ranging aspects of H&S that have been introduced since then many of which are external to the H&S Act.

Reactions: Damian
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
First had a caravan in 1978. Not much spare cash so everything was diy. Fitted a tow bar to a Triumph Vitesse. Dead easy as was the wiring. No computers or chips etc. Lighting was gas mantle and hot water at the sink by a very small gas boiler. Porta potti in a toilet tent. Something always broke and got fixed on the hoof. How times have changed . But still used a Scott Stabiliser.

Reactions: otherclive
Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi all,

The 85% figure again!

Think the Prof has written the equivalent to "War and Peace" on this matter over the years.
It's a shame you don't get paid by the word!

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Never enough for me-fascinating to me given our experiences; if i could I'd do a research project on it !!! Any way just to add to the mix, reading the Practical Caravan mag review of the Mitsubishi twin cab, it is rated to tow just over 3000kg twin or single axle but 3500kg triple axle-proof to me that the posters on this forum that say the manufacturer tests far more than the statutory gradient test to get to their towing rating, are correct! (not that I doubted them anyway but am sure some do).

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Their problem is that what they mean is irrelevant it is what the legal meaning is that counts. The courts would normally use the common meaning but hear it could mean the all up weight at the time of the loss or the unladen weight. My guess is the all up weight but it is not clear and the MIRO could be used. Basically I think most solicitors if asked for advice, would say it is almost unenforceable.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
I have the solution..................

I am going to market a kit for caravaners which will enable them to adjust their towing ratios down to 85%.
The kit consists of heavy duty balloons and a cylinder of compressed helium.
The balloons are filled with the gas and placed inside the caravan whilst towing.
The number of balloons required will depend on how low you want the ratio to be.
There will be a no smoking rule during the filling of the balloons......or should that be
"no smoking advice "?

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I have the solution..................

I am going to market a kit for caravaners which will enable them to adjust their towing ratios down to 85%.
The kit consists of heavy duty balloons and a cylinder of compressed helium.
The balloons are filled with the gas and placed inside the caravan whilst towing.
The number of balloons required will depend on how low you want the ratio to be.
There will be a no smoking rule during the filling of the balloons......or should that be
"no smoking advice "?
I think you should be ok smoking around Helium (ignoring for a moment all the medical advice about smoking) as it is not flammable. Now, if you were to use another lighter than air gas, such as hydrogen, then that would be a totally different matter...........

• Love
Reactions: JezzerB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts