A bit of a turn around?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
For the past couple of years we have mainly used commercial sites as they offered better value than the CAMC however this seems to have changed. Two of the commercial sites that we have used previously in addition to increasing their price for a pitch have now added awnings as "extras". We can accept the cost of the pitch increasing, but the extra charge for the awning sticks in my throat even though the commercial site may have a shop or bar on site.

On checking prices for nearby CAMC sites it was a bigger surprise as they are now nearly on average £6 cheaper per night than the commercial sites whereas previously the commercial sites were definitely cheaper than CAMC and offered more facilities. This is for fully serviced pitches. Maybe the CAMC is listening to members?

We do like a site with a bar for refreshments as you can meet others and have a chin wag however the cost difference could be a factor in us using CAMC sites again especially if staying for 7 or more nights on a site.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
For the past couple of years we have mainly used commercial sites as they offered better value than the CAMC however this seems to have changed. Two of the commercial sites that we have used previously in addition to increasing their price for a pitch have now added awnings as "extras". We can accept the cost of the pitch increasing, but the extra charge for the awning sticks in my throat even though the commercial site may have a shop or bar on site.

On checking prices for nearby CAMC sites it was a bigger surprise as they are now nearly on average £6 cheaper per night than the commercial sites whereas previously the commercial sites were definitely cheaper than CAMC and offered more facilities. This is for fully serviced pitches. Maybe the CAMC is listening to members?

We do like a site with a bar for refreshments as you can meet others and have a chin wag however the cost difference could be a factor in us using CAMC sites again especially if staying for 7 or more nights on a site.
I've never understood why a site with a bar needs to charge more for the pitch - surely the costs involved in operating the bar are covered by bar takings?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do agree that there is no reason why a bar should mean it costs more as the bar should be a profit maker on its own and if anything mean a cheaper pitch. I can see the point if you get things like a free swimming pool but anything that makes money no.
Most club sites have a bar within easy walking distance, which to us means less noise, as you do not get this when the bar shuts.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I've never understood why a site with a bar needs to charge more for the pitch - surely the costs involved in operating the bar are covered by bar takings?
Not sure where you got that idea as I said they had added awning as an extra and not a bar?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I do agree that there is no reason why a bar should mean it costs more as the bar should be a profit maker on its own and if anything mean a cheaper pitch. I can see the point if you get things like a free swimming pool but anything that makes money no.
Most club sites have a bar within easy walking distance, which to us means less noise, as you do not get this when the bar shuts.
Excluding the awnings the pitch cost is about the same as the CAMC. Not sure why some think that because there is a bar area the cost for the pitch is more?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As with all sites, vote with your custom. If you consider it to be too expensive find somewhere else.
Perhaps people have misunderstood my original post. It is not about so much about expense, but rather adding an "extra" like charges for using an awning. Why should an awning incur an extra charge on a hard standing?

After all most people using a caravan use an awning and whether or not you use an awning you are still paying the same for the same size pitch.

Reactions: Brasso530
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Not sure where you got that idea as I said they had added awning as an extra and not a bar?
Sites often use the presence of a bar as justification for a high basic price.

As far as extras go, it doesn't really matter - what's important is that all the charge elements can be seen at time of booking - so that the total cost per night is obvious.

There's a gradual move towards metered electric rather than include it in the pitch price but as long as you can see all the costs involved it doesn't matter.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Perhaps people have misunderstood my original post. It is not about so much about expense, but rather adding an "extra" like charges for using an awning. Why should an awning incur an extra charge on a hard standing?

After all most people using a caravan use an awning and whether or not you use an awning you are still paying the same for the same size pitch.
If your point is about what was previously included but now is an extra charge then it is about cost!

Look at it another way, if cost wasn't the issue why did you feel it necessary to make the point?

Whichever way you look at it it comes down to cost or perceived value.

Ultimately as a customer there is nothing stopping you from asking the site to justify their tariffs, However the site does not have to accede to the request, but some might.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If your point is about what was previously included but now is an extra charge then it is about cost!

Look at it another way, if cost wasn't the issue why did you feel it necessary to make the point?

Whichever way you look at it it comes down to cost or perceived value.

Ultimately as a customer there is nothing stopping you from asking the site to justify their tariffs, However the site does not have to accede to the request, but some might.
Whatever makes you happy! :ROFLMAO:

May 7, 2012
Visit site

On a hard standing I can see the point. With grass pitches people do sometimes use unsuitable mats and ruin the pitch, causing a loss there. Even then I am not sure the extra charged is justifiable but it does have some merit.

TRENDING THREADS