A different Angle!

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
20150714_221110_zpsa4zl1zxk.jpg

This is a recent photo of my outfit taken mid English Channel on a DFDS ferry.
I have a smallish caravan MTPLM of 1150kgs and a fairly hefty 4x4 towing it with a towing ratio of around 60%

The view gives an insight that as a caravanner you do not often see!

What struck me was how small the tow car looks in relation to the caravan and some of the other vehicles.
I can't help thinking of that lot hurtling down a motorway at 50+ mph and my family sitting in my tow car.
It rather highlights the importance of all the safety issues connected with towing a caravan.

Take Care out there.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you Gaffer for the picture. It does show very graphically why caravans should be considered as difficult trailers.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
Did you miss the motor bike? Bit smaller than your car still!

No Peter I did'nt and you will know how defensive you have to be to survive on one!

I was very impressed with the way the crew strapped the motorcycle to the deck.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Was your lightweight Swift Tied down to save it bouncing off deck ;)

.......what are you like Alan :p

No it wasn't...... it has to get very rough before they do that and the ship is stabilized.

Those artics on the other hand are parked out in the open because they all have hazardous cargoes......they are tightly chained to the deck for safety reasons.
They are out there in that position because it would be easier to deal with a fire or spillage and safer for the ship.

Not my choice to park next to them :huh:

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
Dustydog said:
Was your lightweight Swift Tied down to save it bouncing off deck ;)

.......what are you like Alan :p

No it wasn't...... it has to get very rough before they do that and the ship is stabilized.

Those artics on the other hand are parked out in the open because they all have hazardous cargoes......they are tightly chained to the deck for safety reasons.
They are out there in that position because it would be easier to deal with a fire or spillage and safer for the ship.

Not my choice to park next to them :huh:

Was the coach next to you carrying hazardous humans????? :lol: :p

Nice picture though.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for a timely reminder of how vulnerable we could all be when towing,Bill, and also for a reminder for me to clean the roof of our caravan next week when the rain stops :)

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Parksy said:
also for a reminder for me to clean the roof of our caravan next week when the rain stops :)

Did all of mine including the roof with some Showroom shine last week, the van is now on site till early September so hopefully I will see how good it really is you can tell when it needs doing again when the rain stops beading. ....

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
Is that timely reminder because Bill's is clean or dirty?
It's definitely cleaner than mine is at the moment Gabs G, although it's inside a barn the birds can fly in and out and the caravan roof is obviously a tempting target for them :S

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts