A Fortnight on is it working???

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
This last couple of weeks has been brilliant,I can now go for a pint and enjoy it.My local has seen an increase in his trade as more people have the freedom to socialize in a cleaner atmosphere,we have also joined our local British Legion which is now smoke free,and can now enjoy the benefits of belonging to such an organization that was denied to us before the ban.

And well done to the people who are trying to stop smoking,keep it up the benefits are well worth it.

Sep 14, 2006
Visit site
What will happen to the factory that makes pub ashtrays ? What will happen to the paint brushes they used to clean the ashtrays with ? What will happen to the *** machines in pubs ? What will happen to the bloke that used to fill the *** machine up ? What will happen to those bricks on the bar filled up with matches ?

G

One can only say, congratulations to England for being a year at least behind the rest of the UK. I suppose better late than never.

Last summer I visited England and was of course surprised that smoking was tolerated in so many places when at home it was banned. Usually I decided not to spend any money in these places so they lost out. Now they have seen sense I may change my mind on my next trip and spend a lot of money. Healthwise the benefits to staff and customers will soon be shown, as has happened here.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
What will happen to the factory that makes pub ashtrays ? What will happen to the paint brushes they used to clean the ashtrays with ? What will happen to the *** machines in pubs ? What will happen to the bloke that used to fill the *** machine up ? What will happen to those bricks on the bar filled up with matches ?
Danny don't worry about the ashtray manufactuers, the paint brush manufactuers or the *** machine manufacturers. They will soon find alternative employment, China has a booming economy now. Besides the Chinese have never cared about our unemployed :O)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Now that they have got rid of one unhealthy pastime (smoking) from pubs in the name of health can we expect alchohol to be banned next. :0)

Marc.

May 29, 2007
Visit site
I was told a very sad thing the other day. As you know in the valley towns of South Wales, working mens clubs are very big.Now they have banned smoking a lot of the old Gents have stopped going. One old Gent is the 80 year old uncle of a friend if mine and she was telling me how he now sits on his own for hours, because his mates have either passed away or stopped going to the club because they can no longer enjoy a pint with a *** like they used to.

I think this is so sad that the selfish people of this country have decided to yet again impose thier will on these people who fought for us so that we have the choice to smoke or not smoke. So we have the choice to go to a non smoking area or smoking area.

I think that they could have maybe planned a little better by say makeing one area smoke free and the other for smokers, so that guys like uncle fred could enjoy thier pints with his mates with the little time he has left.

And i am still off the fags! 3 Weeks now

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I was told a very sad thing the other day. As you know in the valley towns of South Wales, working mens clubs are very big.Now they have banned smoking a lot of the old Gents have stopped going. One old Gent is the 80 year old uncle of a friend if mine and she was telling me how he now sits on his own for hours, because his mates have either passed away or stopped going to the club because they can no longer enjoy a pint with a *** like they used to.

I think this is so sad that the selfish people of this country have decided to yet again impose thier will on these people who fought for us so that we have the choice to smoke or not smoke. So we have the choice to go to a non smoking area or smoking area.

I think that they could have maybe planned a little better by say makeing one area smoke free and the other for smokers, so that guys like uncle fred could enjoy thier pints with his mates with the little time he has left.

They have provided smoking areas at the pubs around here - giant umbrellas with tables and ashtrays outside. I haven't seen one person using them though.

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Scotch lad

I agree,we should have done it years ago.But now the 80 year olds who fought for britain and who do not smoke can enjoy a smoke free pint with their mates.All we have to do now is cure the problem of binge drinking and the violence that goes with it.But I think the Irish then the Scots will lead the way on that issue.

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

The factory could be converted to a ' Smokers Antique Market'.The paint brushes could be sold at the said market as antiques.The *** machines could also be sold there (very collectable)or sold as a mail order item foe use at home.The bloke who used to fill up the *** m/cs could work at the market.The bricks could also be sold as antiques or sold to reclaimed yards.All cigarette related items could be sold there.

Result !!!!!!

Patman

G

Unfortunately, I have to very sadly agree on the issue of binge drinking. It is very prevalent here and nothing seems to able to be done. The idea, supposedly, was to allow people to enjoy themselves without the rushing at 10pm to get a lot of booze down the throat. Unfortunately, all that has happened is the younger ones, with no sense, have taken it upon themselves to use it as an excuse to behave atrociously. Personally, I would use water cannon, but then again I am an old b......d.

One silver lining tho'. Our new Executive (SNP) has decided that no longer can being drunk count as an excuse for bad behaviour in Court. Not that I ever knew it did, but evidently tis so. Now you will be penalised for the crime with no excuses allowed. Next question. Where do we put all the prisoners tho'?

Feb 24, 2007
Visit site
What a load of tosh !!

Come to my social club and see the poor turnout since they banned smoking.

Better still , what about the pub where there were three sitting at the bar and around 15 outside ... a lot of them are non-smokers they only came out to sample the chat as it was dead in the bar ... true story my friend .

Aug 12, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Scotch Lad. Last summer was the first time we had been away with our van since the introduction of the smoking ban here in Scotland. Since we are both life-long non-smokers we used to avoid pubs because of the awful smoky atmosphere but when we went to the local pub in Garlieston it was smoke free and a pleasure to be in. We ate there four times in 10 days which we never would have before the ban. The food was great which helped!

A

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Remember the days when if you were paralytic and unable to stand you were arrested and charged with being drunk and incapable? You were then put in the cells until you sobered up then attended court the same morning. That stopped because a person choked on their own vomit in a cell. Now they are left wherever they fall if they aren't spotted or scooped up by an ambulance after some caring person, who doesn't even bother to check the person out, dials 999. From my experience of 30 years only about 10% of 999 calls were genuine 999s. Ambulances have to respond using full emergency procedure, putting themselves and others at risk, just to find a drunk when they arrive. Because of the risk of litigation the crew have to take the drunk somewhere. The only place they can take them, a place they aren't wanted, is the Casualty Unit. Hence Casualty Units are full of drunks and take up the nursing staffs time. The nurses/doctors are also at the receiving end of the drunks verbal and physical abuse. Remember this when you or your family have to go to Casualty Outpatients and have to wait for a few hours before being seen. Don't blame the Health Service, blame the people who take their money until they get paralytic and blame the government for now giving them more hours to get into this state. Was there anyone in the country, except the politicians, who believed that by lengthening the licencing laws it would lead to less p!$$heads on the streets?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

yes he fought for freedom, he had the freedom to smoke inside for 80 years i as a none smoker i did not have the right to stay smoke free if i wanted to i had to go outside now after 200 years the smokers have to go outside or they have the freedom to give up, smoking my turn to sit inside after 200 years dont you think thats fair

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi all

is the ban working was the question depends on your point of veiw is the answer if your a non smoker the answer probably would be yes you can now go into any pub any where and get a seat because there is plenty of room and can order food and get quick service because the kitchens are not busy any more.

like wise off licences are doing a roaring trade on can and bottled beer, sales at our local shop has gone up 100 fold they now have got pallets of the stuff instead of the one shelf it had before, my local wmc has placed a advert in the window asking for new members who can play darts,snooker,pool and dominoes as there is no longer enough players to field a team for the local pub league.

perhaps if the weather changes and it ever stops raining more people may be tempted out but I doubt it once they get used to stopping in,and what about the winter brrrrr???.

allen says they have joined the local british legion good for them but how many have left in digust and dont forget what the british legion was set up for, the benifit of ex sevice men and their families who gave their lives to protect our freedoms.

also because of country lass a resteraunt sold extra meals through her custom that they would not have got, but how many meals were lost over the same period through smokers going to mcdonalds instead??

like I said it depends on your point of view? personnaly I have not found any difference since the ban because.

I am teetotal and do not go into pubs.

I do not use trains,buses or taxis

I do not work in a enclosed enviroment

and now that I can no longer smoke in the cab of my lorry have gained extra breaks during my shift when I can stop get out and have a smoke.THANKS FOR THAT: yes realy thanks?.

bye for now

colin

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
What has being p!$$ed out of your head and going to hospital got to do with not being able to smoke in pubs ?
Because it's in relation to what allen and SL commented about in their posts. Read the whole thread because I'm too *&%$*" tired to copy/paste it for you at this time of night ;O) or have you got selective reading? hehheh!

May 29, 2007
Visit site
No actually lee i don't. I think uncle Fred has infact earned his right to smoke where he pleases. And as for giving up, his doctor has told him that at his age the shock to his system will kill him. I just think that for all the uncle freds of this country they should make allowances.

REASON= There is not that many left and as you said you waited 200 years so whats a couple more. No offence meant by this but you have come across as quite aggressive. I am the one who has just given up smoking here!

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Neither Uncle Fred nor anyonelse has a *right* to inflict carcinogenous smoke on their fellow citizens. The fact that he fought for his country is completely irrelavent, although I am just as grateful to Fred as I am to my own 83 year father who put his life on the line too as a Hurricane pilot-but doesn't smoke.

This legislation has brought out the same arguments about rights that the seat belt rules did when intoduced. I don't think too many people would argue against that now, and it will be the same with non smoking

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Both my mother and my father used to smoke although I cannot remember them actually smoking so they must have stopped when I was at a young age. They stopped so that I and my to be born brother and sister were brought up in a smoke free home. My father joined the South Staffs as a regular in 1937 and fought throughout the war being demobbed in 1946. He was transferred to the Reconnaissance Corp and later the 1st Airborne being parachuted into Norway when it was liberated and was awarded an illuminated scroll by King Olav. Like Uncle Fred, he too fought for our rights, and that included those who didn't want to pollute their or their families lungs. Like chris, I will be eternally grateful for those who fought for our freedoms and for those who sacrificed their lives we will never be able to repay them. The law, apart from allowing people to drink and eat in a pollution free atmostphere, also has it's benefits, it gives people like colin-yorkshire more breaks without having to strike for them :O) I'm not too sure of the answer for Uncle Fred though :O(

May 29, 2007
Visit site
Well TBH your lordship, With the way the laws going poor uncle Fred will only able to smoke in two places. 1/ All the bars in Westminster, as the goverment excluded these so it Mps and lords could smoke, And one place up north as they forgot to add it to the bill when they passed it.

All we can do, as i said before, is feel sad for the uncle Freds of this country.

3 Weeks and still off the fags!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Well done Diane, keep it up. Even now I could smoke a *** but thankfully the craving leaves you so it's easy not to relent. The downside when I stopped was I could actually taste my food. Instead of eating to smoke because that was one of the times I actually enjoyed a *** I now eat to enjoy my food. It tastes so much better and that's the problem :O( From always being slim the pounds piled on. I must admit I never felt any fitter but at least I'm not deteriorating as I would have if I had continued to smoke. Finacially I didn't notice any different but obviously there was. Ourselves and kids had material things and better holidays because I no longer helped fill the taxmans coffers.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
in reply to chris."right to inflict carcinogenous smoke"

Clearly you do not tow a caravan, nay clearly you do not

drive!

because by the same silly token what right does ANYBODY have

to pump out any carcingens into the atmosphere.!!!

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi all

the way I understand it diane is the palace of westmnister is not actually exepmt from the ban, according to my old mate (a real lord)it was supposed to be smoke free years ago exept mps and lords just simply ignore the rules and carry on smoking and because of the constitution (thanks to oliver crowell) inside the palace of westminster all mps and lords are in a sanctuary and therefore cannot be prosicuted or arrested. co-insidently thats why the lord chancellor lives inside the palace (another piece of useless information)as for the place up north were is it I want to go.

well well lord B so you dont feel the benefit health wise and now and again want a smoke ;o now thats a turn up for the books what what.

although I have actually heard this before and thats why ex smokers are the worst kind of anti's not because they are insensed by the smoke but because they want to grab it out of your hand and smoke it themselves. ho ho,.

I was talking to an old buddy of mine about the smoking ban to ask what he thought of it being a ex smoker who gave up 20 odd years ago he said he was glad something had been done about it as there was less temptation about now, why I asked when was the last time he wanted a smoke he said YESTERDAY I said what yesterday and he said yup and every day for the last 23years??.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Latest fun with the smoking ban in our area is that the local council has informed a publican that if he continues to allow the use of the "smokers shelter" in the beer garden after ten PM then he may lose his licence because of the potential noise problems. It is only potential as the neighbours have not complained yet !.

Marc

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts