A Fortnight on is it working???

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Feb 24, 2007
Visit site
Did your team win? (if you didn't change your team to non smokers) tactics needed lol Liz
Actually we one our first game of the season , now second from bottom ... no thats being pessimistic , we are 7th from the top . Optimism is a good thing , got to be as we are in cornwall for last two weeks of aug. and i reckon weather will be good. Lol !!

Feb 24, 2007
Visit site
FYI. Allen I do not smoke. I decided to stop smoking. smoking ban had nothing to do with it as it happen in April in wales.

I made a choice, was not forced to make a choice, and will not be forced to do something.

I see you had the choice to either stay home or go out. Smokers now don't have that choice They have to go outside.

Where is the democracy as i did not see any balot on smoking in public places and as for misguided mps being led by the nose but the new fashion of non smoking and going green, I refer to an Article in the paper a few weeks ago , when one was caught having a *** with his son in tow!

It must of been quite upsetting to beheld as a virtual prison due to everyone in the country smoking around you? Funny that as now only 30% now smoke or Admit to it!
Hi Diane .... i am going to vote for you in next election .... well said !!

Oct 17, 2006
Visit site
Actually we one our first game of the season , now second from bottom ... no thats being pessimistic , we are 7th from the top . Optimism is a good thing , got to be as we are in cornwall for last two weeks of aug. and i reckon weather will be good. Lol !!
Weather should be ok in August down here in Cornwall, I heard they are moving all dartboards outside in future lol Liz

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Regarding smoking in pubs - correct me if I am wrong but in many cases there was a "Smoke Room" and a lounge where those who did not smoke could go and enjoy a pint or what ever in a smoke free environment. I do smoke on the rare occassion and enjoy a cigar with a glass of whisky whilst sitting in the evening air outside my caravan. I have never smoked in a pub/restaurant/cafe out of my own choice and respect for the non smoker - I have never been told that I cannot smoke here or there as that would definately annoy me and I would just speak my mind and then tell them what to do with their establishment. However I must agree with previous postings that we are as a majority being dictated to by the minority and it appears that the powers to be are being influenced by this minoritry. They have had their way with the smoking fraternity and now will concentrate on other things such as gas guzzlers, animal testing, road improvement schemes or God knows what. Surely the rank and file majority should unite and send these so called do gooding (good word that) dictaters off to a remote island where they can enjoy themselves and moan to each other and not tell me what I can or cannot do with my life.

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
I LOVE PUBS - AND WOULDN'T BE WITHOUT THEM AT ANY PRICE (PARTICULARLY NOW THEY'RE NOW SMOKE FREE)...

BUT:

...since it's becoming clear that there are now more people polluting the clean air OUTSIDE pubs than there are people INSIDE them, then there's just no alternative...smoking will have to be banned outside them too...!!!

...and since alcohol causes just as many problems as smoke, then that should also be banned in pubs...

...and since people have the nerve to use polluting cars to go to pubs, then they'll have to go...

...so that makes for the perfect pub doesn't it?

...Doesn't it? Oh dear, I fear something's disappeared up my own a**se, but that's not a a bad thing either - it'll block further undesirable carbon emissions...all sorted then...

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi all.

where have you all been hiding this last 4 or 5 weeks you know who you are??

there was I making myself all unpopular and a target to be shot at(figure of speech not a sarcastic remark) apparently trying to defend the right to smoke and put across the point of view that although the smoking ban was inevitable whether we like it or not it was another freedom lost in a long line of freedoms eroded away by political correctness and the jubilant anti smoking conributors would probably find themselves on the recieving end of the next big issue to be banned or the one after that and the short sightedness and tunnell vison of thier victory would be short lived.

apart from the odd contributor who like me thought that it was a step too far, us few who have consistantly argued that it is another nail in the coffin of personal choice and freedoms were falling on deaf ears.

all this time throughout all the various treads there have been on the subject there was me thinking that us few were the only ones who could see a problem and patteren emerging.

however from the recent postings it appears that in fact quite a few on this forum do smoke or agreed with us but either did not post saying so or acctually posted the opposite view.

the smoking ban is realy just a trick a diversion if you like and the more that people see it as such and look at the bigger picture the more one can see what is going on divide and conquer erode and eliminate our freedoms one by one today or rather this month it is my freedom to smoke or not.

before that it was fox hunting remember that issue the majority wanted it banned and it was, before that shooting another minority sport banned can any one else see the pattern or is it just me.

who will be next what do you do that might be banned in the future drive a big engined vehicle, go fishing,use a motorbike or a boat go rabbit hunting with a shotgun use a caravan??.

the people who have had to suffer already at the hands of the PC brigade are also less likley to object when someone elses minority sport or pastime gets looked at under the spotlight thats where the divide and conquer bit comes in you did not help me when in need so hard luck to you now?.

am I annoyed at the smoking ban bloody right I am but it's my fault because I was not out there in the street demonstrating with the fox hunters and the small bore rifle shooters wether I agreed with them or not and will I be out there when the next minority comes up for a ban er well no because thats the way it is isn't it??.

so enjoy your smoke free pub while they are still open and what liberties you have left for now and start worrying about how you are going to tow a 20ft van down to dorset with an elecric car.

colin

Oct 17, 2006
Visit site
hi all.

where have you all been hiding this last 4 or 5 weeks you know who you are??

there was I making myself all unpopular and a target to be shot at(figure of speech not a sarcastic remark) apparently trying to defend the right to smoke and put across the point of view that although the smoking ban was inevitable whether we like it or not it was another freedom lost in a long line of freedoms eroded away by political correctness and the jubilant anti smoking conributors would probably find themselves on the recieving end of the next big issue to be banned or the one after that and the short sightedness and tunnell vison of thier victory would be short lived.

apart from the odd contributor who like me thought that it was a step too far, us few who have consistantly argued that it is another nail in the coffin of personal choice and freedoms were falling on deaf ears.

all this time throughout all the various treads there have been on the subject there was me thinking that us few were the only ones who could see a problem and patteren emerging.

however from the recent postings it appears that in fact quite a few on this forum do smoke or agreed with us but either did not post saying so or acctually posted the opposite view.

the smoking ban is realy just a trick a diversion if you like and the more that people see it as such and look at the bigger picture the more one can see what is going on divide and conquer erode and eliminate our freedoms one by one today or rather this month it is my freedom to smoke or not.

before that it was fox hunting remember that issue the majority wanted it banned and it was, before that shooting another minority sport banned can any one else see the pattern or is it just me.

who will be next what do you do that might be banned in the future drive a big engined vehicle, go fishing,use a motorbike or a boat go rabbit hunting with a shotgun use a caravan??.

the people who have had to suffer already at the hands of the PC brigade are also less likley to object when someone elses minority sport or pastime gets looked at under the spotlight thats where the divide and conquer bit comes in you did not help me when in need so hard luck to you now?.

am I annoyed at the smoking ban bloody right I am but it's my fault because I was not out there in the street demonstrating with the fox hunters and the small bore rifle shooters wether I agreed with them or not and will I be out there when the next minority comes up for a ban er well no because thats the way it is isn't it??.

so enjoy your smoke free pub while they are still open and what liberties you have left for now and start worrying about how you are going to tow a 20ft van down to dorset with an elecric car.

colin
100% in agreement. Blimey it's all gone quiet now. Liz

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Colin (yorkshire) you are right. I forgot about the fox hunting brigade and there are a minority faction who are trying to prevent line fishing as they see it as cruel to the fish having a hook in its mouth. There are also the eco warriors in south Wales trying to block the new gas line from Milford Haven to Gloucester as well as trying to block new road layouts. What about that girl in London who is going about putting annoying stickers on 4x4 vehicles, the anti animal testing brigade who object to drugs being tested on animals. Without these tests and research where would medicines be these days? These "head bangers" unfortunately feel they have a right to protest - fair enough go ahead and protest, but us civil members of society should get together and prottest at these idiots. As Lord B. previously pointed out that the head of these minority organisations are generally foreigners and, without causing offence, females. It would appear in the letters pages of the Daily Mail that protest letters are generally from female readers WHY? All you female readers/contributers to this forum please do not be offended by my comments but it is something I have noticed over the past 18 months or so.

May 29, 2007
Visit site
Colin, as for the women thing , your are right. Reason there aint that many men out there who will tell it how it is!

Right as for fox hunting they may have banned it , but my family has and still are , been a member of the 200year old south pembrokeshire hunt. I have a lovely pic of one of my daughters and her four friends and thier horses taken on boxing morning.

The thing is most blokes don't realise whats gonna happen until they wake up one morning and it bites them on the bum!

I have to agree with Colin-Yorkshire as many of you people have not stepped in when he has taken a lot of crap for not verbally supporting the smoking ban. Hell i don,t smoke anymore but it still effects me, as my staff do. If i have unhappy staff, i have unhappy customers. Simple.

Give em hell Colin!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
As somebody who has no strong feelings about smoking in pubs either way I cant help wondering what would happen if every smoker just ignored the ban. It worked with the poll tax anyway.

I am a regular pub user but my lungs are bu**ered up anyhow so I say each to their own,they should have introduced smoke rooms like they had in the old days. Everything that is British, hunting,shooting, fishing, pubs as we know them is being killed off so maybe smokers ought to stand for local councils and then they could bring in byelaws to allow smokers pubs. I gave up smoking long ago and when I've found a pub to be too smoky I've just gone to a different one. Pubs have never been the same since they got rid of the spitoons though :0)

Oct 17, 2006
Visit site
Colin (yorkshire) you are right. I forgot about the fox hunting brigade and there are a minority faction who are trying to prevent line fishing as they see it as cruel to the fish having a hook in its mouth. There are also the eco warriors in south Wales trying to block the new gas line from Milford Haven to Gloucester as well as trying to block new road layouts. What about that girl in London who is going about putting annoying stickers on 4x4 vehicles, the anti animal testing brigade who object to drugs being tested on animals. Without these tests and research where would medicines be these days? These "head bangers" unfortunately feel they have a right to protest - fair enough go ahead and protest, but us civil members of society should get together and prottest at these idiots. As Lord B. previously pointed out that the head of these minority organisations are generally foreigners and, without causing offence, females. It would appear in the letters pages of the Daily Mail that protest letters are generally from female readers WHY? All you female readers/contributers to this forum please do not be offended by my comments but it is something I have noticed over the past 18 months or so.
I was reading away your post with interest, agreeing on some points what you say, until I came to the last couple of lines.Colin watch this space.Liz hehehe

Oct 17, 2006
Visit site
I still cannot grasp why they had to ban smoking in pubs in it's entirity, like the old days they had a saloon and public bar, they could have given us smokers a "smokers bar", like somesone else mentioned. I am sure even non smokers would not object to that, I would not even object to a "spitoon", I have seen worse.

Although I do not go out to pubs/clubs very often nowadays through choice, but I am very concerned about going out Saturday in a club for my Daughters birthday, and apparently going out the side door into a Large cage erected for the smokers, nice thought but really!! are us smokers now animals. Liz

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The next thing which the do gooders will have a go at is horse racing and greyhound racing. If a horse was to fall in the grand national and break its leg who is to blame? The horse, the jockey or the course marshals for the fences being too big. The horse will have to be put down - did the horse die from its own faults or the fault of a human being? Greyhound racing has attracted a lot of publicity recently with the actress (can't remember her name) lecturing about the cruelties of the sport and the way the dog is treated.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
from colin(bridgend)

It would appear in the letters pages of the Daily Mail that protest letters are generally from female readers WHY?

I can answer that colin, because they were released from suffrage. Roll on the days when they again walk ten paces behind us carrying the shopping.

Oct 17, 2006
Visit site
from colin(bridgend)

It would appear in the letters pages of the Daily Mail that protest letters are generally from female readers WHY?

I can answer that colin, because they were released from suffrage. Roll on the days when they again walk ten paces behind us carrying the shopping.
hehehe, Yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir. On your bike!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Allen send her out every other night but just don't give her any money. This way it won't cost you a penny as she will have to sit there alone and without a drink/meal/whatever.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
We took my daughter/son-in-law and their tribe out for dinner yesterday to our local pub. My daughters comment was how nice it was to sit and eat without the stink of smoke wafting past our noses. I had to agree with her. From the amount of people in there I could find no evidence of people not using the place because of the ban, the pub was full. That also goes for another local which is always full with very few standing outside under the giant umbrellas smoking.

The only reason I can think of why some pubs now have few punters is because they were struggling before the ban and would probably have closed anyway. The pubs that will suffer badly are those in run down areas where those who cannot really afford to smoke or get blathered every night go. Maybe that could be a good thing in the long run and will help these people to give up on the weed and demon drink and spend the money on their children and give them a better life. Maybe they can then find the time to get steralised because they breed faster than rabbits. OK I know it will hardly happen but I can dream. Jeremy Kyle rules :O) hehheh!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lord B, As an one time fruit machine engineer I still keep in contact with some of the landlords. There is no doubt that the eating house type pubs are reaping the benefit of families going into these types of pub, however there is a number of urban pubs (usually the smller types without gardens) who are now struggling and in one case closed already. Even as a non smoker I wonder how the older traditional town centre pubs etc will survive?

Marc

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
well.well.

lord B what a turnaround.

you posed 7th of july......... and allowing children into pubs. A parent cannot as much as lay a finger on their child but they are allowed to take them into bars which up until now was full of smoke. They are allowed to witness drunken behaviour that goes with booze like profanity and fighting.

and then

28 Jul 2007 12:50 PM We took my daughter/son-in-law and their tribe out for dinner yesterday to our local pub. My daughters comment was how nice it was to sit and eat without the stink of smoke wafting past our noses. I had to agree with her. From the amount of people in there I could find no evidence of people not using the place because of the ban, the pub was full. That also goes for another local which is always full with very few standing outside under the giant umbrellas smoking.

naughty. naughty double standards your lordship.I suppose it is just what we need to keep your pubs going??.

ban the adults (smoking ones) and let the kiddies in even worse??.

so glad I don't go into pubs.

colin

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Hehheh! tyke colin, you are nit picking now :OP

As you full well know there are bars AND there are bars. Living in a select area (obviously, a man of my stature and standing)the landlord wouldn't let in any old riff raff, the types that frequent the back street pubs.... hehheh! What I was pleased about was the fact that the children in that pub were ALL well behaved.

I used to drink at a small pub, I was a regular and played in the pubs phat, crib, darts and quoits teams (never liked skittles) and to see kids in the bar of this place now is sad, quite simply it was a drinking pub, not a place for kids to hang out. It's many years now since I frequented the place but I do recall the language could be a bit choice and fisticuffs broke out ocassionally. These are the pubs that I made a comment about that they are struggling anyway, full of regular drinkers who by their very lifestyle smoke. Now they aren't allowed to so the pubs will fold if their customer base doesn't change and stop smoking. I have more chance of kissing the Popes derriere than that happening.

As an aside, but on topic, Her Ladyship and I were invited to a friends birthday yesterday, a BBQ, and out of the 30+ people there only one smoked. I think that speaks volumes.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lord B. you have been caught out - double standards eh what what!!!!!! Next thing you will be taking well behaved dogs into the pub. Most unhygenic in my opinion regarding food hygene. At least children will not **** their leg up in the middle of the room to have a piddle or maybe even worse, or go sniffing around looking for titbits.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts