A new caravan?

Oct 4, 2006
Visit site
Last June we bought a new touring caravan. In October, when we put the caravan into Winter storage, we noticed a faint pink stain to the side shower room wallboard. As the caravan had just been returned from having its shower tray replaced under warranty we thought this was some kind of stain from the repair. However, when we checked the caravan in February this year we found extensive bubbling of the shower room wallboard. Further investigation showed that there was a weld repair to the external aluminium panel at the top of the shower window. It looks as if the cut for the window was made too large and then welded. The weld has split and caused water to penetrate.

Is this acceptable in a new caravan?

The manufacturer has offered to repair the caravan by bonding a new top half of the side of the caravan, a repair that wouldc ost approximately £2,500.

Is this acceptable in a new caravan?

To make matters worse there is also signs of damp below the front nearside window.

We bought new to avoid the stress of having a damp caravan out of warranty

Have we bought a new caravan?

How should we respond to an offer to repair the caravan?

I would appreciate any comments/suggestions.

Apr 2, 2009
Visit site
You have our sympathy our caravan a Swit was three years old last May but we could not find a replacement and quite frankly we had so much hassle when we bought it new we thought better the devil you know. We visited the caravan show in Manchester left a while then the sun started to shine so we took the plunge did a deal only to be told our caravan which was serviced and a damp check done every year the back was all damp and in fact the readings were high in many places. We have been back to Swift knowing that the warranty is now 6 years but ours was only 3 we are still waiting. We are of the opinion if you pay

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Roy, sorry to hear your plight. You need to reject the caravan outright. It is not accepable that a weld repair was done on a brand new van in the first place. You have rights under the sale of goods act. Google sale of goods quick facts.

DO NOT SETTLE FOR A REPAIR

This is absolutly shocking and should be delt with now. If your in the cc or cc&c contact their legal dept to fid out what to do. If your not in either club you can contact me privatly if you wish or I know dustydog will be along shortly with his advice as well

Good luck with this and remember you are in the right and the dealer/manufacture are in the wrong

Kevin

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
kevins correct you need to google sales of goods act quick facts.

Seems to me this caravan was sold to you with an inherant fault.

the fact sheet will help you alot. it did me and i got a replacement first then i rejected the 2nd van because of serious faults and got my money back. fight them.

jo-anne

TRENDING THREADS