A66 Route across Pennines?

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I have to take my van from Yorkshire to Carlisle next week and Google and my Sat Nav recommend the A66 from Scotch Corner to Penrith. This a new road to me and looks as if it could be pretty exposed in winter.

My outfit is a Kia Sportage towing a Bailey Pagaent Champage, both of which will be fairly lightly loaded as I am on my own.

I'd be grateful if anyone who knows this route could offer advice.

Dave C

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Where abouts in Yorkshire are you, i would go M62 - M61 - M6

From where i live its 152miles that way and 132miles via A66.

The A66 is a very exposed road, and soon gets shut this time of year due to the bad weather, the motorways will be still open.

Depends where abouts you are but that's the safe route at this time of year.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for your speedy responces,

I'll be starting from Yorkshire Caravans South of Doncaster.

Google shows the M6/M62 route adds about 40 miles.

Dave C

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
I live near Penrith and use the A66 everytime I travel South. It is 80% dual and if there is a problem, you would be directed to the A69. But don't worry, its a very pleasant drive.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi dave,

I used this road all the time summer and winter when at work it is a good road now it has been updated but still has a few sections that can be tricky especiaily during the winter, if the conditions are good there is no problem but it is prone to wintery showers over the top of the pike where the old cafe and filling station used to be, and the up and down twisty bit near the MOD firing range at warcop,

sproket is right though with the weather the way it is just now over the pennines. I would go M62/M6 via the A1 at ferrybridge it is a bit longer that way "37 miles from ferrybridge" but quicker due to being on the motorway all the time.

colin

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
No contest, A66 every time. It is a first class trunk road, used by all the north west hauliers.As Kitts grandad said, it is almost all dual carriageway now, so is no worse in snow than other A class roads.

Oh, and the scenery is wonderful!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dave I use this route quite often must admit during the summer months, its a very pretty route ,only time I have encountered any problems , is when the Romany Families horsy brigade use it to attend the famous horse fair at Appleby, with their very slow horse drawn buggies, The dual carriageways are a blessing when they are about.

Royston

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
hi all just a quick comment.....the m6 at shap fell can be very windy at times ive seen many hgvs blown over at shap in my time....and a friend of mine was blown over at heartshead moor services on the m62 a few years ago......so its a case of being carefull which ever way you go if its windy

hgv dave

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi Dave.

How did you get on on the A66 I plan to go that road in April. I also have a Bailey Pageant Champagne and my car is a Hyundai Santa Fe 2 ltr. It has been a few years since I travelled on the A66 but I remember it as being quite steep at some parts.I am fairly new to towing a caravan & my worst nightmare would be struggling to get up the hills. Unlike you I will be loaded up for a weeks holiday but at least I would have some idea if this route is suitable for me. (Heading for Harrowgate area)

Tom.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts