Abi Monza 1400ct over-haul

Dec 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys newbie here (sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place)
I recently acquired a 1970's/80's Abu monza 1400ct and I knew it would be a complete strip out and overhaul job.

I bought it for £70 which I thought was a steal and still do and have been trawling through posts since trying to get the just of how to tackle this and here is my plan.
1) get a cover over her

2)strip out to the bare shell (timbert frame - what's left of it)

3) repair / replace where necessary ( again I think there will be repairs throughout as all corners have been affected by damp)

4) reseal all windows and awning rails

5) re-board, I am thinking of using just 3.6mm ply to save costs and then just painting this with a quality paint / primer. I know wall board is preferred but is there any real reason not to use ordinary ply? the boards will be connected with the plastic D strip things

6) make new furniture, same layout as original

7 ) go get my pension ( I am currently 23)

my main questions are,
when doing the frame I won't be taking the sides off so everything will be done from the inside and bonding this to the ally body using sikaflex is this right?

I am wanting to save costs so will standard ply be OK for the sides?

the current wall insulation is thin polystyrene, will try his suffice when rebuilding.

what's the best way to tackle it, sections at a time I'm thinking so the van doesn't collapse

I will be modifying it to electric only and having a sparky look over it before I commission her

I'm sure I will have more and more questions on this journey and hope you can all follow me.

Also I'm looking at keeping my spend below £800 (will be tackling it all myself) and i know it may not be worth it but me and my Mrs are getting married in April and this is will be my gift to her

sorry for the large post but I would be very great full for your help and support on this epic build

thanks

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi Briggsi, first off welcome to the forum, you will get all the answer's to your question's on here.

First of all Click Here have a good look through to give you an idea.

One thing in your post is about the adhesive for bonding etc, make sure it is solvent free as you will be replacing polystyrene which melts with solvent based adhesive's. Also think you will need a more liquid glue as sikaflex may be too thick to bond the frame to the exterior of the van, when I did my repair the van had aluminium sides which was then stapled through the aluminium into the frame, hence one reason for removing the exterior awning rail, the other was to make sure it went back with a water tight bond.

Keep asking the questions and good luck.

Dec 5, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Gagakev.
great post by the way, I had already seen that and found it to be very helpful thank you.

is there an adhesive you would recommend as all I have heard about really for this type of thing is sikaflex as it will flex with the wood and aluminium providing a stronger bond .

also in regards to resealing the awning rails, you out the mastic tape on the rails along with a bead of cartridge mastic and also the cartridge mastic on the joint?

cheers

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
briggsi said:
Thanks Gagakev.
great post by the way, I had already seen that and found it to be very helpful thank you.

is there an adhesive you would recommend as all I have heard about really for this type of thing is sikaflex as it will flex with the wood and aluminium providing a stronger bond .
My old cells are not what they used to be :blush: Cant remember what I used, speak to the glue people or Damien one of the mods may pop in and will give you the correct answer
also in regards to resealing the awning rails, you out the mastic tape on the rails along with a bead of cartridge mastic and also the cartridge mastic on the joint?
I went way over the top on that one!!! Sikaflex/Soudal/similar will be fine

cheers

TRENDING THREADS