Adblue question

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If taking the vehicle to a franchised dealer for servicing, would you expect them to drain the old Adblue out of the tank and replace new fresh Adblue. The vehicle has done approximately 8000 miles since purchase and prior to purchase the Adblue tank was topped up. At present I think there is about 30-40% left. My concern is crystallisation. Thanks for any input.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I've not heard of dealers draining Adblue tanks to refill it with fresh - my Touareg is similar weight and engine size, consuming about a litre every 400 miles - if your Jeep is comparable you'll have used about 20 litres since purchase - how big is the tank?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Adblue tanks do not need draining anymore than you would drain the fuel tank.
Yes, at any service I expect the mechanic to top up the Adblue. I do my own usually just before a long trip. Like Roger’s my Touareg is about the same consumption.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I've not heard of dealers draining Adblue tanks to refill it with fresh - my Touareg is similar weight and engine size, consuming about a litre every 400 miles - if your Jeep is comparable you'll have used about 20 litres since purchase - how big is the tank?
Googling shows the tank to be about 30ltrs?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Just got ask from my Ford Dealer today about the Adblue what mileage have you done roughly 2,200 miles because i have a small problem with car so it having a diagnostic check on Monday .

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Adblue tanks do not need draining anymore than you would drain the fuel tank.
Yes, at any service I expect the mechanic to top up the Adblue. I do my own usually just before a long trip. Like Roger’s my Touareg is about the same consumption.
My adblue tank has never been topped up during servicing!

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Top it up at your local fuel station - Morrisons for example. A fraction of the price your dealer will charge and it takes less than five minutes.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My adblue tank has never been topped up during servicing!
Shocking! But I only use a local chap who’s brilliant. I assume all other cars have the same warnings as the Touareg

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
After Googling Crystallization of AdBlue it seems it. Is more to do with the engine not being hot enough rather than the AdBlue in the cars supply tank.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Shocking! But I only use a local chap who’s brilliant. I assume all other cars have the same warnings as the Touareg
I don't expect any of the routine consumables to be topped up during servicing as I do that during weekly/monthly checks. I've had the 1,500 mile countdown warning a couple of times, once just after leaving a campsite on the way home and was horrified that the countdown was reducing by 100 miles for each 40 actually driven - which just goes to show how much NOx is created by towing on diesels without Adblue.

Reactions: Dustydog

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
If taking the vehicle to a franchised dealer for servicing, would you expect them to drain the old Adblue out of the tank and replace new fresh Adblue. The vehicle has done approximately 8000 miles since purchase and prior to purchase the Adblue tank was topped up. At present I think there is about 30-40% left. My concern is crystallisation. Thanks for any input.

Probably best here to instruct them not to top it up, and just keep an eye on the readout of the range of Adblue, assuming if like our vehicle that info can be called up. That ensures the aging stuff gets used,
My LR dealers and my friendly local non franchised LR service man, have always topped the Adblue up.
They both have also always topped up screen wash; post servicing I would not expect the vehicle to be handed back still needing such services.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The garage I use top up adblue, washers and any consumables.
They also check and reset tyre pressures, 😉
Resetting the tyre pressure is the one thing done by my local VW dealer - it's annoying as I run slightly higher than standard pressures to minimise the blistering on winter and all-season tyres - so I have to pump them up again when I get the car back.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Resetting the tyre pressure is the one thing done by my local VW dealer - it's annoying as I run slightly higher than standard pressures to minimise the blistering on winter and all-season tyres - so I have to pump them up again when I get the car back.
Why not tell them not to reset tyre pressures. ?

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
I wont use dealers, this was by an Indie. I noticed because mine were set high for towing the van and they forgot to reset the TPS and it went off on my way home.
Reset them this morning as the van is on the back ready for tomorrow.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Why not tell them not to reset tyre pressures. ?
They aren't good at following instructions! That's why I'm giving up on VW service plans, despite the 25% discount and getting my local trusted independent to do the future servicing - it won't be any cheaper as I'll supply OE parts for them but I know they'll do each item on my list.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Dragged out the servicing schedule for the Jeep and it states that the Adblue has to be refilled at every service. The last time that they Adblue was topped up was in August 2022. It was not topped up at the last service in May 2023 although the is part of the service charge. Next service is in May 2024. To get the dealership to top it up is a 140 mile round trip so not worth it. I think I request a reduction in my next service bill as the Jeep will be due to a major service in its 6th year and that will not be cheap!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/38528419...86&ssuid=&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=EMAIL

If you can wait 5 days then 20 litres for £17.29 delivered. Just ordered one for the Santa Fe. Last fill was just before 3,000 mile Europe Trip Aug/Sept/early Oct.

Halfords asking £27.99 locally.
Thanks and having braved the rain I dragged out the manufacturer's servicing schedule. As part of the service they were supposed to top up the tank as it is included in the price.

Annual service in May is supposed to be at 12000 miles, but at the time the vehicle had done less than 5500 miles. Vehicle was purchased in Aug '22 when the tank was topped up so probably not much Adblue had been used and they decided it was not worth the bother? Now at over 8000 miles still 36% full. We have not done much towing in the past year.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/38528419...86&ssuid=&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=EMAIL

If you can wait 5 days then 20 litres for £17.29 delivered. Just ordered one for the Santa Fe. Last fill was just before 3,000 mile Europe Trip Aug/Sept/early Oct.

Halfords asking £27.99 locally.

Edit. Not certain container has pipe to help when pouring but I've saved the one from my last top-up!
That's is an excellent price, I paid over £24 for the same item just 3 months ago - I can confirm there's no filling pipe included - I decanted some into a 10 litre Adblue container I had and used that with the VW/Audi specific filling pipe.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That's is an excellent price, I paid over £24 for the same item just 3 months ago - I can confirm there's no filling pipe included - I decanted some into a 10 litre Adblue container I had and used that with the VW/Audi specific filling pipe.
I agree it is an excellent, but taking into consideration my mileage and that the vehicle is due to a service in May next year, I think if I top it up 10l should be sufficient as they will top up the Adblue as part of the service cost.

As it is a 30l tank and after 8000 miles it is down to 36%. Not sure if I have got the maths right, but this indicates I am using about 1 litre of Adblue for 400 miles. In the period between 5th Dec and 17th May we only did 2200 miles so the remaining Adblue should see us through to the next service in May 2024 if my maths is correct. To be on the safe side maybe add 5ltr Adblue in case mileage escalates.

From home to the nearest place that we know of that sells Adblue is a 28 mile round trip. Will wait until we need to pass that way again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts