Adblue question

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
To address your opening concern, buy it but don't add it but carry it when the read out is down to 2000 miles range remaining.
That way what is in the tank will soon be fresh.
Using that plan you only need buy a small amount, enough that whatever happens you get to the service, and what you buy will not be overly wasted.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
To address your opening concern, buy it but don't add it but carry it when the read out is down to 2000 miles range remaining.
That way what is in the tank will soon be fresh.
Using that plan you only need buy a small amount, enough that whatever happens you get to the service, and what you buy will not be overly wasted.
As long as it's not the stupid design of filler in my VW Touareg which needs the boot floor lifting, not very convenient in the middle of a touring holiday.

Adblue shelf life is temperature dependent - in the UK climate it's good for at least 18 months, more like 2 years as it doesn't degrade as much in winter.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
As long as it's not the stupid design of filler in my VW Touareg which needs the boot floor lifting, not very convenient in the middle of a touring holiday.

Adblue shelf life is temperature dependent - in the UK climate it's good for at least 18 months, more like 2 years as it doesn't degrade as much in winter.
Same design as our old Tiguan, absolute nightmare so I always topped up before we went away.
AdBlue also deteriorates with UV exposure, so beware when you buy off a petrol station forecourt

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site

I have the same VW. The hardest part is lifting out the heavy spare wheel . Later models incorporate the filler next to the diesel filler.
https://shop.statuscarcare.com/product-category/adblue/#quick-view One pound more than last year.
I use one of these to fill the Adblue. A battery diy fuel pump eBay or Amazon

1699897069040.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6781.jpeg
    IMG_6781.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I have the same VW. The hardest part is lifting out the heavy spare wheel . Later models incorporate the filler next to the diesel filler.
I use the VW filling hose which can be attached to the adblue tank through the spokes of the spare wheel but the other end only fits securely on the VW 10 litre adblue container, which I bought one of and retained the empty container - the fitting leaks on the generic 10 litre containers - it's slow to fill which is arm-aching as the container needs to be held up above the tank

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I use the VW filling hose which can be attached to the adblue tank through the spokes of the spare wheel but the other end only fits securely on the VW 10 litre adblue container, which I bought one of and retained the empty container - the fitting leaks on the generic 10 litre containers - it's slow to fill which is arm-aching as the container needs to be held up above the tank
Try one of the portable pumps. A lifesaver and no lifting/ holding the 10 litre container

Reactions: RogerL
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Same design as our old Tiguan, absolute nightmare so I always topped up before we went away.
AdBlue also deteriorates with UV exposure, so beware when you buy off a petrol station forecourt
Surely, the container are designed that they would block UV exposure. ie, the plastics used.
Badly designed other wise. I cannot believe people are getting so worked up over refilling AdBlue when the vehicle gives such a long warning before requiring refilling. And also the cost. How much screenwash do you use in say 5000 miles at say £5 for 5 litres.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Surely, the container are designed that they would block UV exposure. ie, the plastics used.
Badly designed other wise. I cannot believe people are getting so worked up over refilling AdBlue when the vehicle gives such a long warning before requiring refilling. And also the cost. How much screenwash do you use in say 5000 miles at say £5 for 5 litres.
The "long" warning is dramatically reduced when towing in my experience so the 1,500 mile countdown can reach zero in as little as 500 miles - my annual Scottish trip is typically 550 each way, those going south to the Continent will be much more.

Reactions: Bluetonic

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Never had it drained or topped up during 4 services.

That to me seems odd, and something I would be probing into as Adblue is a consumable, so gets used up.
If in four services, that's I expect a 5 year period you have covered sub 15>20 K miles its understandable, but if not it is hard to understand.
Has the vehicle got any onboard method to check the Adblue range, where you could check what is happening to explain this odd situation?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That to me seems odd, and something I would be probing into as Adblue is a consumable, so gets used up.
If in four services, that's I expect a 5 year period you have covered sub 15>20 K miles its understandable, but if not it is hard to understand.
Has the vehicle got any onboard method to check the Adblue range, where you could check what is happening to explain this odd situation?
Perhaps Xtrailman tops it up himself.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
They top up the windscreen washer and charge you even when it is full. The latter is not important, but I would think that topping up the Adblue at a service is important?
Depends perhaps on where it is serviced. If it’s a local garage he may tell them not to top it up. I used to do that for screen wash when cars went into local independent. No doubt all will be revealed in the course of time.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Maybe Xtrailman petrol Tiguan doesn’t need Adblue🤪🤪

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Maybe Xtrailman petrol Tiguan doesn’t need Adblue🤪🤪
Not familiar with the car, but I assumed that a AWD DSG 190ps SEL Tiguan was diesel as it had the "D" in DSG? I automatically assume that anything with a "D" in the designation would be diesel? Duh!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Not familiar with the car, but I assumed that a AWD DSG 190ps SEL Tiguan was diesel as it had the "D" in DSG? I automatically assume that anything with a "D" in the designation would be diesel? Duh!
Direct Shift Gearbox = DSG.
Live and Learn🤪

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I am amazed at the rate some of you are saying your cars consume adblue. My Mazda 6 barely sips the stuff! Around 8-10 litres in about 8000 miles. I can check the level via one of the dash readout screens, only topped it up once so far, and it was still at 60% full. I have found B&Q to be the cheapest source.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I am amazed at the rate some of you are saying your cars consume adblue. My Mazda 6 barely sips the stuff! Around 8-10 litres in about 8000 miles. I can check the level via one of the dash readout screens, only topped it up once so far, and it was still at 60% full. I have found B&Q to be the cheapest source.
I’d expect the Touaregs and Santa Fe’s to use more. Larger engines and maybe older than your C6?
This link gives a guideline to expected Adblue consumption. Arguably if yours is so low are you sure the sensors and Adblue injectors are working correctly?🤔

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I’d expect the Touaregs and Santa Fe’s to use more. Larger engines and maybe older than your C6?
This link gives a guideline to expected Adblue consumption. Arguably if yours is so low are you sure the sensors and Adblue injectors are working correctly?🤔
That link give Adblue consumption for Mazda CX-5 as double that of a Touareg!

Some car brands have been guilty of electronic cheating to reduce their Adblue consumption at the expense of illegally increased NOx - my Touareg was subject to a voluntary Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) in response to court action in the EU, I had the TSB done but Adblue hasn't increased since so I've no idea just how guilty VW/Audi were. I'm not aware of any brand producing evidence to show their cars were all legitimate.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts