Adblue question

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
This link gives a guideline to expected Adblue consumption. Arguably if yours is so low are you sure the sensors and adblue injectors are working correctly.
Main agents (who I have been using for 30+ years and have an excellent relationship with) service it, so I would anticipate any faults being picked up by their computer when my car gets plugged in. Its a 2.2 litre 4 cylinder.
Can't see them missing an opportunity to get more money out of me if they can.
It recently passed its MOT emissions test with the figures being at the very bottom end of the allowances which tends to suggest everything is working as it should..
Having said that I do drive with an exceedingly light right foot (If that has any influence on Adblue consumption)

The site the link goes to doesn't list my car, and only shows 2023 versions of CX5 and CX60

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Having said that I do drive with an exceedingly light right foot (If that has any influence on Adblue consumption)
Yes it will - to some extent Adblue consumption is proportional to diesel consumption but it's not linear so more throttle, eg when towing or "driving like you stole it", will use disproportionally more Adblue

Reactions: Mr Plodd
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My problem is finding a service station that disperses the Adblue. The only one I know of is about 14 miles away.
Imo Adblue is no different to topping up your windscreen washer bottle. You’ll be fleeced at a garage.
Buy 10/20 litres on line as above and use the battery powered liquid pump also mentioned above. So simpleđź‘Ť

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Imo Adblue is no different to topping up your windscreen washer bottle. You’ll be fleeced at a garage.
Buy 10/20 litres on line as above and use the battery powered liquid pump also mentioned above. So simpleđź‘Ť
Some garages have Adblue on a pump, primarily for HGVs who use 100s of litres at a time, but can be used by car owners - much cheaper than forecourt containers of Adblue and cheaper than online unless you buy a 1000 litre container on a pallet, which some businesses do.

Reactions: JTQ
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Some garages have Adblue on a pump, primarily for HGVs who use 100s of litres at a time, but can be used by car owners - much cheaper than forecourt containers of Adblue and cheaper than online unless you buy a 1000 litre container on a pallet, which some businesses do.
🙉

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
What would one expect to pay per litre at a garage as the link for the 10L container indicates that it will be ÂŁ1.89 per litre? I don't think I will need more than about 5 - 10 litres before the next service.

I also spoke with the Jeep garage who agreed it was an oversight and that they will top up the tank for free at the next service in May 2024. As they are 65 miles away it is not worth the trip at the moment.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I read the forecourt Adblue pumps are too high a flow for our cars.
LINK
Last bit
Where the Adblue pump is that I know of there is no way an HGV could enter that forecourt In Blackpole therefore it is specifically for vans and cars. The pump is on the right had side of the forecourt.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Where the Adblue pump is that I know of there is no way an HGV could enter that forecourt In Blackpole therefore it is specifically for vans and cars. The pump is on the right had side of the forecourt.
Why don't you just buy some from Amazon, good prices.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I bought from Europarts and paid ÂŁ16.99 for 10L. Just need the pump now. Someone mentioned a small cheap electric pump on Amazon or maybe just a funnel?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I bought from Europarts and paid ÂŁ16.99 for 10L. Just need the pump now. Someone mentioned a small cheap electric pump on Amazon or maybe just a funnel?
I use this type of thing. Works great on windscreen washers fluid now bought in 20 litre containers and of course Adblue in its 10 or 20 litre container

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
You buy windscreen washer fluid in 20 litre containers? That would last me for ever, I only use about 4 litres/year of the Prestone concentrate.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Between us we managed to top up the Adblue as found a funnel under kitchen sink and area where I rarely venture.

Strangely although they are next to one another, we cannot use the funnel for adding diesel to the diesel tank due to the angle that it goes in. However Jeep supply the correct funnel with the car to compensate for the angle in case you run out of fuel.

However the link to that pump that DD posted has been bookmarked as always topping up the windscreen wash. Probably at least 3 times a year. The joys of street parking in the countryside. :LOL:

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
They would be at full flow - but if you use the lever like a throttle it can be slowed down.

Thanks, I was only quoting a website's comment, it is something I have not yet needed to undertake.
However, if I did I think the first "try" would be somewhat experimental, to top up a container, seeing if I could control things as you said. Would save getting everywhere, or at least the car's paintwork.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks, I was only quoting a website's comment, it is something I have not yet needed to undertake.
However, if I did I think the first "try" is to top up a container, seeing if I could control things as you said. Would save getting everywhere, or at least the car's paintwork.
I don't think it will damage the paintwork on the car should you accidentally spill some on the paintwork?

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
See post 20 if you are needing to buy Adblue. 20 l delivered for ÂŁ17.29. Arrived in 2 days. They do sell smaller sizes.

Just an aside. I must have been dreaming when I ordered 20 l. Previous top-ups were all 10 l.

When it arrived it was clear that lifting a 20 l plastic drum and carefully pouring into a hole of around 3cms diameter was going to be impossible. Job done with a jug and a pouring spout left from a 10 l top up.

However, I have not checked the handbook but our car is a 2020 Santa Fe and I was amazed at just how much it took. Since being warned of the need I had traveled around 120 miles only so a good bit was still swilling around in the tank.

The 20 l plastic drum has around 3 to 4 inches left in it. I reckon that amounts to maybe 4 liters. That being the case I was able to add 16 + liters to a tank already holding maybe in excess of 1 liter. Amazed at how big the tank must be.

Only downside is that now I'm driving around with an extra 20 kilos which can't be good if consumption is a concern.

Will be away with the van over Christmas so expect to pop the remaining stuff into the car after that tow. Not expecting to need more for quite some time.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
You buy windscreen washer fluid in 20 litre containers? That would last me for ever, I only use about 4 litres/year of the Prestone concentrate.
We have two cars running the M4 and M5 regularly. Filling both cars this afternoon used up 6+ litres

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Too much hassle and surprisingly hard to find!
I buy this. Cheap as chips
What temperature protection does it go down too. I tend to use Prestone, Halfords, or Sonax concentrate which I can then use to mix it for summer or winter use.They all protect to around -20deg C. But I progressively strengthen the mix so for winter it’s at -10deg c. Cannot envisage using it neat.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
What temperature protection does it go down too. I tend to use Prestone, Halfords, or Sonax concentrate which I can then use to mix it for summer or winter use.They all protect to around -20deg C. But I progressively strengthen the mix so for winter it’s at -10deg c. Cannot envisage using it neat.
It is suitable for -14c neat for winter and dilute 1:9 for summer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts