Advice on route to Dordogne

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi all,

I would appreciate any and all advice on route and potential overnight stop on this summer's trip to the Dordogne.

We have already chosen our main destination, le port de limeuil, near Le Bugue but I am still a little unsure about the most suitable route there. We will be travelling in mid June and using the Tunnel. I have looked at a site, le bois du bardelet, near Gien on an Eastern route and also camping de chanteloup, north of Le Mans on a more Westerly approach.

I am not too bothered about avoiding toll roads, main priority being ease of journey and convenience.

As I said earlier all advice on route will be very welcome.

Thanks

Robert

G

Our preferred route to Le Bugue is from Calais to travel down the coast towards Abbeville, then on to Rouen. Follow the road south to Evreux, Dreux and on to Chartres. Then follow across country towards Orleans until you hit the motorway. Head south and keep going until you get to Brives where you cut west on the new motorway towards Perigeux. After only about 5 km you turn off on to the old road and follow signs for Sarlat and then cut over the hill to Le Bugue. As for site stops, we use one out side Abbeville and another at Vatan. These make relatively easy breaks in the trip.

I know the site at Limeuil and yes, it is on the river and very attractive. But there is not much else there and we prefer a site nearer to Le Bugue called Val de la Marquis run by Farid, Nicole and Antony. They are a very friendly and welcoming family and the site is very peaceful just a kilometer or so outside Le Bugue. You can bicylcle into town easily. Good clean facilities, snackbar and even a fishing pond on site. We know many Brits who visit there every year and we have been several times. Also easy to hop back to Sarlat for visits. However, the choice is yours.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Scotch Lad, re the bit about "across country" I'm assuming its not narrow country lanes? I'll be towing a twin axle Wyoming so no narrow twisty roads please.

I'm planning to arrive in France mid to late morning on a Sunday and drive till around tea time before stopping for the night, so an overnight stop somewhere about 5/6 hours driving from Calais would be o.k.

Anyone else any thoughts on route and stopover? Val A is generally good for this type of query

Thanks

Robert

G

No, the cross country bit is a A class road. It is just the fact that it is single lane each way, although they are dualling bits of it. It takes about 30-40 minutes from Chartres to the motorway, so nothing desperate. This is the common route for many people.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
No, the cross country bit is a A class road. It is just the fact that it is single lane each way, although they are dualling bits of it. It takes about 30-40 minutes from Chartres to the motorway, so nothing desperate. This is the common route for many people.
Thanks Scotch Lad

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I'd second the route recommended by Scotchlad - it's the most interesting route around that part of France (Northern France is not the most scenically interesting area) - and for the most part you can do it equally quickly on toll-free roads.

As far as stop-overs are concerned, we usually stay at Salbris, just off the N153 south of Orleans or there's a municipal site at Vierzon which is good for an overnight stay, though a little tight maybe for twin axles. (Salbris would be fine). There are several other municipal sites just off the N154 - and I've heard no bad reports about any of them.

Have a look at the website

http://users.telenet.be/leo.huybrechts/camp1.htm
which will help you choose a site within 15km of your chosen route.

We've also stayed at Bois du Bardelet for overnight stops when we did the 'East of Paris' route via the Francilienne, then Nemours, then Gien, and again it's fine and really a good site for overnighting, especially in mid-June when it would take Camping Cheques, so only

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
Rob T

If you plan to stay at Salbris don't do as I did on my first visit go left at the first roundabout off the motorway.narrow streets etc. Keep on the bye pass over the level crossing then a bridge and the next roundabout take a left, through the high street, over the river and right at the traffic lights, about 150 yards turn right site at the end of the street.

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I would agree with Scotch Lad on this. The long stretch of motor way is toll free and good running. You will do well with two stops, we did it (to Sarlat) with only one overnight but it was too much. Stopped twice on return. Have a good hol and safe journey.

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
David

I have booked to stay at salbris in August enroute to sarlat. When you say stay on the bypass does that mean go over the roundabout straight forward. Does the bypass have a number or is it signposted. Many Thanks for your help Mark

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
If you can make it as far as Orleans and beyond, the municipal in Bourges is a good stop. The walk into the small but attractive city centre is only 10-15 mins and its downhill going back!

If travelling in July or August the municipal in Mehun (just down the road from the massive Allouis LW radio transmitter masts, almost the geographic centre of France) is very pleasant if simple, and the town has the world famous Pillyvuyt porcelain/pottery tableware factory with a seconds shop where they sell pots by weight!

If you can't make it that far then the municipals in Tours or Angers are very acceptable although Angers is the nicer place.

If you go the west route make sure your journey doesn't clash with the Le Mans 24 hour race as the road you take is part of the circuit!!

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Mark,

Depends on your route - if you're coming south down the N20 (route nationale, not the autoroute), then just continue into the town, on that road, and the campsite will be signposted on your left - sharpish turn back on yourself.

If you're on the autoroute, then take junction 4, but take the D944 signposted to Bourges. One junction further on, on the D944 take the N20 north into Salbris, then straight back up into town, and the site will then be on your right, just over the bridge, and after the lake which you can see to your right.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Val A (and anyone else)

Would I need to prebook for an overnight at Salbris in mid June ( Sunday night)?

Thanks

Robert

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
If you can arrive at a reasonable time, in June, and on a Sunday, then I'd probably say no. We've not booked in the past - usually a Saturday night, but we do tend to arrive mid to late afternoon, rather than evening. The sites does start to fill up noticeably after about 5.00 - so if you're arriving after that time then I'd ring up in advance, perhaps early afternoon, to ask them to reserve a pitch for you. Confirm this a couple of hours later just so they know you are serious. They do speak good English - so don't worry about that.

I don't think you actually need to make an advance booking - because a lot of sites charge you an admin fee to do that, on top of your pitch fee. There are several other sites along that stretch, one at Nouan le Fuzelier, just a bit north, and a large municipal site at Vierzon just a bit south, plus another municipal at St Pierre le Moutier and several others - so there will always be alternatives, too.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Val A. I've had a very quick search on the internet for info on the site and have read several good recommendations for Camping de Sologne - I'm assuming that is the one you are talking about? The only negative thing I have came across, as far as I am concerned, is that on one website there is reference to caravans up to 5.5 metres excluding A frame, that would rule me out. I can't find any reference to that on the site's on webpage though, but then I can't find their phone number on it either!

I might drop them an email.

Thanks

Robert

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I shouldn't worry about that, I have been on this site 5 or 6 times and my van is 7 metres plus a Frame.

Camping De Sologne

Salbris

Tel 02 54 97 06 38

Steve W

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Us too - our caravan is much longer than that - and we've not had a problem. I really wouldn't worry. There have been some very long caravans there, when we've been.

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
Mark

You leave the A 71 at junction 4. you will need a credit card to pay tolls. If you have not used one of these before look for the button on the left with the British flag press that and all is revealed. the road you are on is the D keep on that to the N then left to Salbris. you cross the river and right at the lights. look for the signs. Booking in June is not normally required, the local phone is 0254970638

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Well that's the route and the overnight stop sorted. My thanks to all who have responded.

The bad news is that one of the replies has prompted a question about payment of toll fees but I'm going to start a new thread for that one. Hope you will be able to advise with that as well

Thanks

Robert

G

Have fun but do not get too tied up in trying to pre plan everything. It is a holiday remember. Our usual plan is to drive till about mid afternoon and then get the book out to see what is available. Do remember that after about 4pm the 'good' sites will fill up rapidly with lots of Dutch and dare I say it, a few Brits as well. So, if you leave it late then be prepared to get the pitch by the Loos.

Some of the sites mentioned are not manned during the day, you find your own pitch and pay when the warden appears.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts