Advice please about towing with a RAV4

Jan 28, 2007
Visit site
After towing for many years with mainly estate cars...our present car being a Mondeo Estate 2003. I have never towed with a 4/4 but am now considering buying a 2006 or later RAV4 with 2.2 D4D engine 140bhp 6/speed manual transmission. I am finding it difficult getting in and out of our Mondeo as the seats are so low. I would appreciate any information and /or advice as I understand hitching and unhitching can be a problem due to the spare wheel mounted on the rear door. I would also be interested to hear from anyone about the general performance etc. with this model. Our caravan is a Bailey Bordeaux series 6, with mtplm of 1300kg. What consumption could I expect when towing? I'm trying to avoid buying a gas guzzler and the high V.E.D if at all possible.

My thanks to all in anticipation of your welcome advice

Maureen F

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
Hi Maureen

I looked at both the Rav4 and Honda CR-V and ended up going for the new shape CR-V 2.2 Diesel. It was the side opening rear door and the door mounted spare that put me off the Rav4. At least with the conventional hatchback style door on the CR-V you can load/unload in the rain and the boot doesn't get soaked. Boot space is quite similar to the Rav4 even with the spare in the boot floor.

Towing a Compass Corona (MTPLM 1300kg) I get 32-35mpg whilst towing (42+ when solo so far) which I think will improve as the engine beds in some more. I think the CR-V is in a group lower CO2 than the RAV4 also, which helps.

Having had the CR-V for 4 months now, I am sure I made the right decision.

Cheers

David

Oct 22, 2007
Visit site
I've got a '57 Rav4 2.2 D4D and tow a 1500kg Elddis with it with no problems. There's no problem hitching/unhitching with a wheel on the back the van has got a Winterhoff stabiliser and there's no fouling anywhere towing wise, done the Caravan Club course with it and didn't foul the wheel even doing the extreme angle reversing exercises. The opening door is well clear of the towball but when hitched it is restricted to partial opening, not a great problem as you've got the side doors for access.

SWNBO has a bit of back trouble and finds it a lot easier to just step straight in much better that saloon type motors.

It's exactly the same Co2 level as a CRV - 173g so the same band and they're better than a lot of other similar type Soft Roaders.

Fuel consumption is not too bad 32-34 around town and well into the 40s on a run. You can get slightly either side of 30ish when towing depending on the journey/terrain.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
Try a Ford C-Max 2.0TDci, cheaper than a RAV, Road tax is less, does 50-54mpg solo, 30mpg with a Bailey Pageant Provence (1420kg) on the back. Easy to get in and out of (even my 84 yaer old mum can manage it) - almost the best car we've ever had

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts