AL-KO hitch lock & how thieves are by-passing it.

May 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi All,

Re: AL-KO hitch lock & how thieves are by-passing it..

Not sure if you are aware. But I was shown a picture on what thieves are doing to by pass the hitch lock. They attach a tow hitch to a length of scaffolding pole, G clamp it to the tow bar just behind the towing coupling joint and tow your caravan away to somewhere, to remove the hitch lock. Unable to post picture, but happy to PM to someone if they want to attach.

Cheers

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
alphapets said:
http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/124914-al-ko-hitch-lock-how-thieves-are-by-passing-it/?p=1491078

pic there

Must get one, handy if I forget my key.

If they want it badly enough then they will find a way to take it. It's why I have insurance.

May 15, 2016
Visit site
Insurance is good, however my intention was to highlight the security issue, as insurance premiums will increase with the extra thefts. Plus you still have the excess to pay.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
This has been one way they dealt with them for years, other ways include an a frame to fit over the towing hitch and even a length of chain. Unless it is an insurance requirement I would not waste money on a hitchlock although you can use it to secure the caravan to the car at services.

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
Our insurance insists that a hitchlock is fitted at all times except when on the move, as well as a minimum of one wheellock. we have 2 and a rather large. chain from the chassis to a very immovable object.

And our insurance renewal came today its gone up as expected...............by a whole 20p!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mogwyth said:
Our insurance insists that a hitchlock is fitted at all times except when on the move, as well as a minimum of one wheellock. we have 2 and a rather large. chain from the chassis to a very immovable object.

And our insurance renewal came today its gone up as expected...............by a whole 20p!

:p If I were you i'd complain after all did you ask for an increase? :cheer:

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Mogwyth said:

That is absolutely disgusting. I would complain to the insurance ombudsman. Oh and shop around for a better deal. :p

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts