Alde Smart Control

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm very tempted to install one of these devices - despite the cost!
Has anyone fitted/used this accessory that allows you to control the heating via a mobile phone.
Mike

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mike_S said:
I'm very tempted to install one of these devices - despite the cost!
Has anyone fitted/used this accessory that allows you to control the heating via a mobile phone.
Mike

I think some of these Apps are "becasue we can" and not "because we need it" and personally I cannot see the need for it.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Had one fitted on our van as standard, a total waste of money to be honest, used it once or tried too but the van was in a bad signal area so never worked, never used again and disconnected it. The heating is left on low when out and then increased when back in.Never felt the need to reconnect and use it even though it came with the van.
Personally id save your money and buy something you would find much more useful.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Same as above for us . We have the option on ours on the system we have, but we just keep it on low if we go out and it takes no time to come up to the heat when we crank it up when we get back. Usually when we go away my phone is switched off for the weekend. Peace and no nuisance calls !

Craig

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Unlike others who have posted, I have had one fitted for quite a while now, and have certainly found it useful over the winter months. I’ve never had a problem with the signal wherever we’ve been (and that includes many out of the way CL/CS’s) - perhaps I’ve just been lucky?

We’ve used it either when we’re away, turning the heating down or off when we’ve gone out, and then turned it up/on an hour or so before we’ve gone back, or whilst not being used (we’re lucky in that we keep the caravan at home and on hook-up) to keep the inside above freezing for obvious reasons (despite taking all precautions and using a Floe unit etc., etc.).

So, personally I like it, but accept that it won’t be for everyone. Only you can decide really whether it’s worth the outlay.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Like MichaelE,
This came as standard on our van,it isn't a feature we use (it's never been activated).
Having thought about it we saw it as a gimmick only and of no use to us.Who wants to switch on lights/ heating etc remotely from a phone.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Oops !,
Didn't read the subject heading correctly,
Don't know anything about Alde smart system,our system is the Swift system that can control heating/lighting etc remotely.
I suppose function of the Alde system is similar to the Swift system in which case I still consider these systems as nothing more than gimmicks.

Jan 20, 2018
Visit site
We had given it thought and had the same response about no signal,but the other thing that was a good one, was fitting the batteries to the alde control pad.if the 12v cuttoff switch is pressed by accident, it does not loose the time and settings.Approx £3 plus batteries

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Wow i believe the cost is over £400 !!!! its different to the unit that was fitted in my Buccaneer . All is does is allow you too switch the unit on/off, increase temp and txt it to find out the temp in your van.It doesnt switch lights on or anything like that.
I dont think if you went out for a day in cold weather you would turn your heating off before you went out? You would leave on low to keep the chill off?
Sorry but i am struggling to find the value in it?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
At the end of the day it is a question of if you think the convenience is worth the cost. It may depend though on how you use the caravan as you are relying on a signal to work it. If you are mostly using remote sites without a signal or just using the caravan in summer than it is probably of little use otherwise it has its advantages but the cost is very high for what it does.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I am with Raywood on this, In winter we will probably go out at about 11am, and be back at maybe 3 pm, if I leave our heating on at say 17c then it will take maybe 5 minutes to get up to 20c. I am paying for electric hook up and use it , if the sites were to charge for what you use it may be different. And I do know a few that use a card for hookup, but I like a warm caravan. :p

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site
We have our Buccaneer on a winter seasonal pitch, and the Smart Control is brilliant for that. It means we can turn the heating on before we start out 3 hour drive and it is lovely and warm on arrival.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
dunskeig said:
We have our Buccaneer on a winter seasonal pitch, and the Smart Control is brilliant for that. It means we can turn the heating on before we start out 3 hour drive and it is lovely and warm on arrival.

Now that's different to going out for the day, I can see the use of it then.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
dunskeig said:
The difference is yours was fitted as standard to the van, you have to ask yourself if it didnt would you spend over £400 to be able to switch it on remotely?

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi Prof,
I'm with you on this one !.We have the capability to control caravan heating and lighting remotely but have never set up the system to do this.
Like you we don't see the need and consider it just a gimmick that looks good but in reality for us is useless and we'll never use it.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Totallly useless for me. Have one in the van and its never worked. Apparently it needs a firmware update. May ask them to do it at he next service, but even then, I doubt I will use it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts