Alde thermostat location

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Does anyone know the position of the sensor for the thermostat for Alde heating and how to improve its accuracy.

We love the system, but the accuracy of the controls isn't great. We've had the heating set to 22, and the van's 18.

Alternatively the vans 24 and the heating set to 20, (that might just be due to overrun whilst the radiators cool down though)

Just wondering if this can be improved by an extra sensor or something.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The first thing is to make sure the settings are correct for your van. Just having the wrong pump selected makes it behave poorly.

Then set any offset temperature as per instructions. Then, add a remote temp sensor if you want. I did this. I tried to get it to the front centre of the van. My biggest problem was hiding the wire.

The remote sensor did improve things, but the biggest improvement was made getting the settings right which were set incorrectly by the manufacturer.

When all was right, the heating was great.

John

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I suffered the same issue at about 3C error. There is a facility within the settings of the control panel to correct the displayed temp against the absolute temp by several degrees.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That is not a problem if you read the Alde owner's manual. If you go into settings there is an "Off set" adjustment and you can adjust it as much as +5C or -5C. There is no fault. Ours is spot on now.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Thanks all. Now I know where the sensor is it's all clear.

The control panel is under the cupboards by the cooker, right above the plug for the kettle. So it's obviously getting heat from there, both the cooker and kettle, which explains its erratic behaviour.

We have adjusted the offset by 2 degrees, but obviously that doesn't solve the intermittent heat from other sources.

So we'll either live with it or get a remote sensor.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
You don't mention what make and model of caravan you have. This may help as others may have the same model and know whether a remote sensor is already fitted. On my Coachman, the sensor is located above the door in the plastic moulding which houses the master power switch, pump, lighting, awning light switches and display for the battery condition, inside and outside temperatures etc.
The sensor is a black plastic mushroom-shaped thing measuring about 25mm in diameter with slots in the head.
In the Alde control panel, I found three sensor settings, "Panel", which appears to be what you are using, "Lounge", which gets it's readings from the sensor above the door and "Bedroom".
However, unbeknown to me at the time, there isn't a sensor in the bedroom and when I set it to that, it got so hot inside the caravan I had to turn it down manually because it wasn't getting a signal from a sensor.
The "Panel" setting was useless as already mentioned because it was affected by the heat from the fridge and TV.
In the Alde Control Panel there is also a menu which allows you to hide options that aren't available. Once I'd worked out that there was no bedroom sensor, I removed that option.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks all. Now I know where the sensor is it's all clear.

The control panel is under the cupboards by the cooker, right above the plug for the kettle. So it's obviously getting heat from there, both the cooker and kettle, which explains its erratic behaviour.

We have adjusted the offset by 2 degrees, but obviously that doesn't solve the intermittent heat from other sources.

So we'll either live with it or get a remote sensor.
Prise off the cover for the ALDE display and make sure that the channel is clear. I think it is on the bottom right of the cover.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For information it's a 2021 Bailey Unicorn Cabrera.

Mounting by the cooker seems a rather daft idea!
Sadly its just another example of the caravan manufacture failing to to understand the needs of the customer and their lack of of understanding about the dynamics of heating systems. Its a real shame because it prevents the heating system from being able to show how well it really can work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hutch and RogerL
Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Fully agree, our last two vans had the panel mounted by the door and a simple offset had it working fine.

Reckon it's moved as its a shorter wiring run and so slightly cheaper.

TRENDING THREADS