ALKO Jack Brackets

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Hi Folks,

Just out of curiosity, how do the jack brackets work?

We had motor movers fitted to all our twn axle tyres, and I thought this was just parts removed which were in the way :ROFLMAO:

Then I noticed someone selling these on Facebook, with a description ALKO Jack Backets

So am I right in saying these should also always be in the caravan if I have a puncture?

1699776792275.png

Attachments

• 1699776792275.png
    1699776792275.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I think you will find that these were fitted back to back with the smaller inside the chassis bolted through the dedicated holes. I googled ‘Alko side lift Jack instructions’ and top of the list was a Practical Caravan article.

Reactions: Paullus1959
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Those are the brackets used by the Alko side-lift jack - it would seem they've been removed, or never fitted, because they're in the way of your rear mover - there's no point taking them on caravanning trips, they can't be used - if you get a puncture you'd need to use a trolley jack so best to have a breakdown policy that will deal with that.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you do have a puncture and a member of Mayday or RAC Arrival they probably would use a trolley jack to lift the caravan to change the wheel. This is what they did when we had a blowout on a previous caravan. With our current caravan no need for jacks.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Those are the brackets used by the Alko side-lift jack - it would seem they've been removed, or never fitted, because they're in the way of your rear mover - there's no point taking them on caravanning trips, they can't be used - if you get a puncture you'd need to use a trolley jack so best to have a breakdown policy that will deal with that.
Still worth practising at home and seeing what tools you need. Bottle jack may do job. Alternatively tire plugs and or puncture repair in can(sealant).
While roadside assist would be my first point of call, pays to be self reliant especially if help is hours away and you need to be somewhere ontime eg catch a ferry.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
So am I right in saying these should also always be in the caravan if I have a puncture?
These should be fitted back to back on either side of the chassis rails and will be a permanent fixture. The bolt holes are already punched into the two chassis rails a metre or so behind the axle. The Alko lifting jack fits into the opening on the end of the bracket, and when the jack is lifted, it takes up the chassis with it.

I have them fitted on my van, however, instead of using an Alko jack, I use an electric jack.

20220926_145842.jpg

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Nearly always with a twin axle van the rear wheels block access to the Alko jacking point especially with motor movers fitted.
Jaydugs photo shows the unreinforced type of jacking point , that had a tendency to bend whilst lifting the van.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Did not Alko redesign the higher load brackets away from the L shape, but left the lower load brackets L shaped. I never had a TA and all of my caravans that used Alko side lift used the lower rated load brackets. Fortunately I only ever had to jack the caravans up when at home or in storage, where it could be a more controlled process.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Did not Alko redesign the higher load brackets away from the L shape, but left the lower load brackets L shaped. I never had a TA and all of my caravans that used Alko side lift used the lower rated load brackets. Fortunately I only ever had to jack the caravans up when at home or in storage, where it could be a more controlled process.
They got it badly wrong. The side lift Jack was incapable of lifting a thing. The brackets were all pretty straight from memory. After some years the current design, akin to Purple Line , were introduced. The originals weren’t jacking brackets in the truest sense , more so they were chassis stiffeners, hence their straight shape.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Good reason to make sure that you have a good breakdown policy. On our Lunar the motor mover was fitted to the rear wheels and when we had a blow out the technician used a hydraulic jack on the rear axle to lift the caravan. I don't think the Lock n Level on the front wheel would have raised it enough?

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
Jaydugs photo shows the unreinforced type of jacking point , that had a tendency to bend whilst lifting the van.
When selecting jacking brackets it is important to select the correct type for the weight of the caravan. I would suspect that where the bending of the bracket has occurred, the wrong bracket has been fitted in the first place. As for brackets being described as ‘original design’, the same design shown in my picture is still in production – but only for use on caravans with a wheel load of 800 kg. If the correct bracket is fitted, it does the job as it’s supposed to. Mine have been in use for more than 12 years – but then my caravan is only 1200Kgs.

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/c...pads/al-ko-replacement-jack-bracket-kit-800kg

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When selecting jacking brackets it is important to select the correct type for the weight of the caravan. I would suspect that where the bending of the bracket has occurred, the wrong bracket has been fitted in the first place. As for brackets being described as ‘original design’, the same design shown in my picture is still in production – but only for use on caravans with a wheel load of 800 kg. If the correct bracket is fitted, it does the job as it’s supposed to. Mine have been in use for more than 12 years – but then my caravan is only 1200Kgs.

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/c...pads/al-ko-replacement-jack-bracket-kit-800kg
Wether the design shown is still in production , it still shows the "Original" design which has been updated/ uprated for heavier caravans, especially for the ones shown in Saxo' photographs.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
Wether the design shown is still in production , it still shows the "Original" design which has been updated/ uprated for heavier caravans, especially for the ones shown in Saxo' photographs.

Alko caravan chassis with pre-punched holes for the fitting of jacking brackets were introduced in 1991. A glance at Alko’s current website shows that the 800 kg jacking bracket, first introduced in the 1990s is still in production looking exactly the same as when it was first designed.

But then 25 to 30 years ago, caravans were much lighter. Within my own Avondale’s range dated from the 2000’s, an 8mtr shipping length, 6-berth, twin axle Argente caravan had an MTPLM of only 1600Kgs so it could be fitted with an Alko jacking bracket.

It’s only in more recent years that Alko has added to the range because the MTPLM’s of caravans have increased, so now in addition to the 800Kgs bracket, there is a 1000Kgs bracket.

It is an addition to the range. Not an updated/modified/upgraded version of a failed previous design. Providing an Alko bracket is fitted within its specification and used according to recommendations, it is, and always has been, a reliable means of lifting a caravan.

https://ukshop.alko-tech.com/replacement-jack-bracket-kit-800kg-1554982

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My last van I fitted the L shaped brackets as their load rating at 800kg was well within the caravans MTPLM. It was L shaped ones that i fitted to a 2005 Bordeaux but prior to that it was a bottle jack under the axle.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts