ALKO JACKING POINT BRACKET.

Jul 29, 2022
Visit site
Just a observation; our Coachman 560 came with a set of Alko brackets fitted so bought a Alko jack then decided to do a dry run and check all was well.

I first noticed that when the spare wheel carrier is pulled right out it clashes with the nearside jack point bracket meaning you have to wiggle the carrier awkwardly sideways to avoid the bracket.

Also the spare wheel would not clear the underside of the 'van meaning it has to be jacked up first.

Another thing I noticed was that Alko now put a retaining nut secured to a bit of threaded stud that pokes through one of the spare wheel slots alongside the familiar large centre mushroom nut that holds the spare wheel securely in the carrier.

It was a bit of a fight but I'm pleased I sorted this out in the safety of the storage yard and not on the side of a busy road.

Finally I have made room under the rear near side french bed where I have placed the spare wheel covered and padded out to prevent damage.
Regards. ST.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You’ve put your mark on precisely what makes the Alko spare wheel carrier so difficult to maintain and use. You could run the caravan up a ramp to give more clearance to remove the spare wheel. But on my last two caravans which had the Alko fitment I removed it and carried the spare wheel inside the caravan. Just as you have decided to do. Far more convenient and safer too, particularly if you are touring abroad where you don’t want to be trying to remove the spare wheel when you are on the side of moving traffic.

Reactions: Slowtow

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
You’ve put your mark on precisely what makes the Alko spare wheel carrier so difficult to maintain and use. You could run the caravan up a ramp to give more clearance to remove the spare wheel. But on my last two caravans which had the Alko fitment I removed it and carried the spare wheel inside the caravan. Just as you have decided to do. Far more convenient and safer too, particularly if you are touring abroad where you don’t want to be trying to remove the spare wheel when you are on the side of moving traffic.

Similar, I contemplated getting one years ago but dismissed the idea, I also vowed to make use of our breakdown service if we ever got a flat on the caravan and let them deal with it.

Jul 29, 2022
Visit site
Re. Towing abroad. That's a good point as we're planning on going down to southern Spain look at properties in next year or two doubling up as holiday.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Reactions: toad a caravan

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The designs were changed some years ago. The higher load design is now no longer an L shape. See below :

My originals were straight. When one collapsed it became L shaped. Was there another version? Looking at your link I am confident the Purple lines triangular blocks are more substantial. Do you know which part the Jack goes under? Not clear from the pics. Also note Al ko say only use their Jack. Mines still in the loft , absolute rubbish. A three tier hydraulic bottle Jack works for me. Quick , strong and very easy to use. Courtesy of an old Kia Sorento mk1. Did you see the Al-ko price🙉🙉

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My originals were straight. When one collapsed it became L shaped. Was there another version? Looking at your link I am confident the Purple lines triangular blocks are more substantial. Do you know which part the Jack goes under? Not clear from the pics. Also note Al ko say only use their Jack. Mines still in the loft , absolute rubbish. A three tier hydraulic bottle Jack works for me. Quick , strong and very easy to use. Courtesy of an old Kia Sorento mk1. Did you see the Al-ko price🙉🙉
IMG_3464.jpegYes there are two designs of Alko bracket. The lower weight ones are L shaped (800kg each). The higher capacity ones are as above at 1000 kg capacity. But aren’t L shaped whereas there were older designs of 1000 kg brackets that were L shaped.

PS yes I do know which part the Alko Jack goes into. See above

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
View attachment 6716Yes there are two designs of Alko bracket. The lower weight ones are L shaped (800kg each). The higher capacity ones are as above at 1000 kg capacity. But aren’t L shaped whereas there were older designs of 1000 kg brackets that were L shaped.

PS yes I do know which part the Alko Jack goes into. See above
What a terrible design at £150 approx for two. Basically you couldn’t easily use a bottle Jack.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What a terrible design at £150 approx for two. Basically you couldn’t easily use a bottle Jack.
That’s right they are specifically for interfacing with the Alko side lift jack. For years I carried a 2 tonne hydraulic trolley jack. But they aren’t ideal as being so big ground conditions might make using it very difficult, so I also carried a bottle jack too. Then. I moved to the Alko side lift jack, the 800kg version. Didn’t have to use it in anger as if I was lifting the caravan at home or in storage the trolley jack was used. If users require to regularly lift the van on site for lining up the wheel locks then I wouldn’t use the side lift jack.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just a observation; our Coachman 560 came with a set of Alko brackets fitted so bought a Alko jack then decided to do a dry run and check all was well.

I first noticed that when the spare wheel carrier is pulled right out it clashes with the nearside jack point bracket meaning you have to wiggle the carrier awkwardly sideways to avoid the bracket.

Also the spare wheel would not clear the underside of the 'van meaning it has to be jacked up first.

Another thing I noticed was that Alko now put a retaining nut secured to a bit of threaded stud that pokes through one of the spare wheel slots alongside the familiar large centre mushroom nut that holds the spare wheel securely in the carrier.

It was a bit of a fight but I'm pleased I sorted this out in the safety of the storage yard and not on the side of a busy road.

Finally I have made room under the rear near side french bed where I have placed the spare wheel covered and padded out to prevent damage.
Regards. ST.
I think you will find that the Alko carrier on the Coachman 560 will chafe the tyre in the chassis. I put my wheel under the bed and removed the carrier, saves 6kg.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our spare wheel carrier on our 2018 Alko chassis is a doddle to access. Simply lift the retaining latch and the wheel drops down.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Our spare wheel carrier on our 2018 Alko chassis is a doddle to access. Simply lift the retaining latch and the wheel drops down.
We had similar on an Alko chassis on a 1996 Coachman many years ago, the wheel was in a "cage" that simply hinged down once the latch was released, no telescopic tubes etc to battle with.

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
I have a BPW chassis so brackets are not really an option. I carry a heavy duty (3 ton) scissor jack with a ratchet handle this lowers really flat and I find that it is really versatile and easy to store and it also has an extending wheelbrace in the bag.
I have used it a couple of times, under the axle of course and have been very pleased with it.
No brackets to fit and no jack seals to fail and only needs a couple of inch clearance.

Al co seem OK when they manage to get it right but ours is only a 2 berth 1350 kg van so for me it seems a bit overkill anyway

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I find it strange, when most advice is not to jack your caravan on the chassis, but that's exactly where Alkos jacking points are.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I find it strange, when most advice is not to jack your caravan on the chassis, but that's exactly where Alkos jacking points are.
It's because their design spreads the load from the jack, if a jack is just placed on the underside of the chassis member it will cause significant distortion. Personally I use a trolley jack under the axle tube but that involves a bit of groveling around to get the pad in the right place so fitting some proper jacking points would be a good idea, I just whince at the cost!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
It's because their design spreads the load from the jack, if a jack is just placed on the underside of the chassis member it will cause significant distortion. Personally I use a trolley jack under the axle tube but that involves a bit of groveling around to get the pad in the right place so fitting some proper jacking points would be a good idea, I just whince at the cost!
When you read Alkos instructions for changing a wheel, using their jack it says place the nose wheel as low as possible, If you do this then the jack does Not engage square to the jacking pad. The van really needs to be level. Preferably still hitched to the car.

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hutch I may have shown you the oem Al-ko stiffeners plates. Absolutely dangerous as we all know. Hence the radical redesign which is still very questionable in my opinion.? Purple line were I believe the first to offer a substantial piece of kit which stiffened both faces of the chassis at the jacking point.
My AWS chap never jacks on the chassis. He uses an air bag jack under the axles.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hutch I may have shown you the oem Al-ko stiffeners plates. Absolutely dangerous as we all know. Hence the radical redesign which is still very questionable in my opinion.? Purple line were I believe the first to offer a substantial piece of kit which stiffened both faces of the chassis at the jacking point.
My AWS chap never jacks on the chassis. He uses an air bag jack under the axles.
The Alko jacking points on my 2013 Coachman are identical to the Kojack system that I bought for my 2010 Coachman, which had the dodgy type. My AWS man uses a trolly jack under the Alko point. I am happy with that not twisting the chassis beams.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts