Another newbie needing towing weight advice sorry!

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I don’t think that MTPLMs are the issue here. It’s more the gross train weight that’s the limiting factor.
The gross train weight is the problem, but if the caravan is so close to it Max. weight, as  Standard and Brity has overloaded the caravan by mistake. At least if they go for a weight upgrade, the upgrade , might help. ,

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The gross train weight is the problem, but if the caravan is so close to it Max. weight, as  Standard and Brity has overloaded the caravan by mistake. At least if they go for a weight upgrade, the upgrade , might help. ,
A weight upgrade for the caravan makes the gross train weight more of an issue as even less is available for the loaded van.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I you are not going to be able to use the caravan's max weight limit anyway what's the point of a weight upgrade?
So. They. Don't overload the caravan. illegally.
If you lightly load the Tow vehicle, at least the caravan can be loaded by maybe 30 kg more.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Without MTPLM upgrade the caravan will have no useable payload when they tow it with lightly loaded van or upgrade vans.
Using LiFeP04 battery will save 15kg.

I got the impression that the OP was intended to load the van with material for the exhibitions and that the payload margin of the caravan was not of importance, so the van will probably not be lightly loaded.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I got the impression that the OP was intended to load the van with material for the exhibitions and that the payload margin of the caravan was not of importance, so the van will probably not be lightly loaded.
But if you have a weight upgrade on the caravan, because of the extras, ie, Aircon, 4wd motor mover,, at least with the minimum kitchen items, they would still be legal for weight limits in the caravan.
Also when coming to selling on the caravan, it would be helpful.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Love these threads about weight as they go on and on forever totally confusing the original poster. Luckily for us the eight upgrade was totally free and not even the cost of a stamp! LOL! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

If it was free it probably wasn’t a proper upgrade at all but only brought the details on the label by the door in line with what was already displayed on the statutory weight plate.

Reactions: RogerL
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If it was free it probably wasn’t a proper upgrade at all but only brought the details on the label by the door in line with what was already displayed on the statutory weight plate.
My last two payload upgrades from Bailey ( new caravan) and Swift ( pre owned caravan) were both paid for, but neither involved any physical changes to the caravans. I received a new sticky label for near to the door and a letter confirming the payload upgrade and new MTPLM which equalled tThe weight shown on the statutory plate. The upgrades just about compensated for fitting a mover.

Not sure if when ordering a new British caravan you can upgrade payload with technical changes. IE a higher rated axle and tyres. Certainly when we were considering a Knaus the UK brochure offered a range of payload upgrades some of which were so substantial that I’m sure a axle and tyre change was required

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yep for most mains stream UK built caravans as there is no other way for a weight upgrade. It is just a label change.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Yep for most mains stream UK built caravans as there is no other way for a weight upgrade. It is just a label change.

That’s why I have always said the cheapest way to upgrade if the manufacturer wants to charge for it is to remove the label by the door altogether so long as the statutory plate (usually in the front locker) is still present. It seems a cunning way of UK manufacturers to draw money out of the customer’s pocket without actually doing anything other than pulling wool over the customer‘s eyes.

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Logically, MTPLM cannot be changed without a physical change - the wording say it all, Maximum Technically Permitted Laden Mass - so it can't be altered without some physical change.

It makes me wonder whether caravan makers actually understand anything about technical things!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts