Another Tow Car/Solo Car Question

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 12, 2024
Visit site
I tow a swift 550 single axle max weight 1495 with a 2.0d 180bhp Ford Kuga with a powershift gear box it tows the caravan much better than my manual 2012 2.0 xtrail 170bhp. Kuga’s are probably the least expensive main stream SUV . The powershift gearbox was sorted out after around 2015 I believe. I have had three Kuga’s not had any problems at all. All 2.0 diesels, 2x 180 1x150bhp. I think they offer good value. 40+ mpg solo 27 towing last time out .

I think I’ve narrowed it down to either this Kuga model or a similar Sportage. Both appear to come with the mod cons I would desire for my largely solo driving.

A decent spec Tiguan is slightly out of my budget used, as I’m trading in I don’t want to add much more on than my current car value.

Kuga appears to be heavier which might work out for slightly future proofing. Albeit some used websites had the same mpg as the Sorento did at a similar price and higher spec which surely can’t be right given the sheer weight.

I know you say 40mpg solo, is that urban or motorway? The specs for mpg on the Sportage and Kuga appear to vary, I’m looking between 2017/2019 models to get similar to what I have now.

JB1

Aug 4, 2022
Visit site
I think I’ve narrowed it down to either this Kuga model or a similar Sportage. Both appear to come with the mod cons I would desire for my largely solo driving.

A decent spec Tiguan is slightly out of my budget used, as I’m trading in I don’t want to add much more on than my current car value.

Kuga appears to be heavier which might work out for slightly future proofing. Albeit some used websites had the same mpg as the Sorento did at a similar price and higher spec which surely can’t be right given the sheer weight.

I know you say 40mpg solo, is that urban or motorway? The specs for mpg on the Sportage and Kuga appear to vary, I’m looking between 2017/2019 models to get similar to what I have now.
Re MPG I barely do any real town driving , mostly country lanes A and B roads and Milton Keynes, plus Mway journey every 5 weeks 300 miles . I don’t do a lot of miles in the car per year, I am no boy racer but don’t drive slowly either the on board mpg is always around 40mpg goes up on a run . My manual Kuga’s were a bit better on fuel. If your going powershift route the gearbox must be serviced with proper proof. Around 36k or 3 or 4 years depending on the service schedule. Don’t buy one if you doubt the service history same as a VAG with the DSG gear box. As long as they are serviced they are fine. Lots of low mileage Kuga’s around Vegnale with some extras are a good spec and value. Good luck with your search. Sportage should still have warranty but a bit underpowered I found when I hired one on holiday.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts