Anyone been away yet?

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Just wondered if anyone has been away this year. We're not going away till Easter. Will be watching the royal wedding. Really looking forward to it.

- That's if the tv is still in one piece, one of the dogs is insistent on knocking if off the stand. Grrrr.

Lisa

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
LMH said:
Hi

Just wondered if anyone has been away this year. We're not going away till Easter. Will be watching the royal wedding. Really looking forward to it.

- That's if the tv is still in one piece, one of the dogs is insistent on knocking if off the stand. Grrrr.

Lisa
Come on Lisa ,
What happened to all those weekends at Chatsworth and Rowntree Park you booked?? LOL!
smiley-laughing.gif

Yes we've been away to Cornwall and Devon. More coming up soon. Can't wait.
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
...........went down to Malaga in Spain for 30 days in February/March.......3000 towing miles and an 'arm and a leg' for diesel but wall to wall sunshine.
smiley-cool.gif

Next trip the reader rally at Stowford Farm Meadows in Devon...............
smiley-laughing.gif

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We went on a 5 day C&CC district association meet in February and a couple of rallies since and our next proper 'away' trip will be for 10 nights on 25 th April Easter Bank Holiday Monday when we go down to Stowford to take advantage of the £5 a day pitches before the readers rally.

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
“Just wondered if anyone has been away this year.”
Just can’t get my head round this type of post, there is no way that it can be a serious comment. Is it meant to be a joke? More than 25% of the year already has already passed by!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Lisa. We did weekends at Chatsworth, Newport (S Wales), Carsington so far, nothing for a few months now as new grandchild imminent. Wish we could do longer breaks than weekends, but hey ho, lucky to be in a job. enjoy your up coming break.
mel

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
We just came back this evening from our second trip with the caravan. The first was a week up the Rhine as far as Koblenz. The second was a fortnight up north.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
The other Dave said:
Just can’t get my head round this type of post, there is no way that it can be a serious comment. Is it meant to be a joke? More than 25% of the year already has already passed by!

So have you been away yet Dave??

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi Lisa,
we have been twice, only really local though as we have been trying the new van.
Away over the Easter, extended stay at Stowford, might bump into Parksy and Gafferbill at some stage.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
havent done so many trips as previous years , mainly due to the fact that we were in Australia for a month November - December , but we have had 4 nights at a CL called Cynhordy west Wales in February ,and tommorow we are going to Dolbryn near Newcastle Emlyn until Friday , next after that is the readers rally at Stowford

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The other Dave said:

Not, it's not a joke actually. It's a serious question.
smiley-sealed.gif
Don't come on here and get arsey with me Mr.

I thought it was a perfectly reasonable question and given the replies (bar yours of course), they've all been positive and informative.

I guess you caravan all year round then. Well, hey ho. Where have you been then? oh great explorer.
smiley-cool.gif
I bet you're a right barrel of laughs, calculating the percentage of free pitches at this time of the year, due to people like me who don't venture out till Arpil. (Due to working committments).
smiley-surprised.gif

Lisa

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mel said:
Hi Lisa. We did weekends at Chatsworth, Newport (S Wales), Carsington so far, nothing for a few months now as new grandchild imminent. Wish we could do longer breaks than weekends, but hey ho, lucky to be in a job. enjoy your up coming break.
mel

Congratulations on your forthcoming (is that the right word?) grandchild.

I know what you mean about the job situation.

Nice to speak.

Lisa xxx

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lisa, been away a few times this year, Chatsworth at the new year, a few weekends over at a site near Newark where we store our caravan, and returned last w/e from Skegness sands where we spent 5 enjoyable nights, but looks like this year will see us spending more time at our storage site due to the ever increasing price of fuel
smiley-frown.gif

Allan & Gill.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
cookieones said:
Hi Lisa, been away a few times this year, Chatsworth at the new year, a few weekends over at a site near Newark where we store our caravan, and returned last w/e from Skegness sands where we spent 5 enjoyable nights, but looks like this year will see us spending more time at our storage site due to the ever increasing price of fuel
smiley-frown.gif

Allan & Gill.

I'm not far from you then.

I know what you mean about the cost of fuel. We keep ours about 90 miles away which is handy for long weekends away etc. Really looking forward to the Easter break, having two weeks off work.

The only downside is, if we're going long distance (Cornwall for instance), it means travelling across the night before to collect it, then that's an extra 360 miles without the 300 miles to Cornwall. Was fine when diesel was at an acceptable price.
smiley-cool.gif
But it's no great problem to be honest.

Lisa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are over on the Nott`s, Derbyshire border Lisa, so takes us around 45 mins to get to Newark, the up side is very handy for the east coast and we are very close to the A1, but like you a bit of a bind if we are going south, but great just to phone the site up and they pull it out of storage and drop it on the pitch of our choice if it is available
smiley-smile.gif
But like everyone else a little concerned on the job front, and have a feeling I could be in line for an early bath! Would be a bit of a fly in the ointment as I have only just over four years to go to retirement, but as they say thats life
smiley-wink.gif

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
We've just had our fourth outing of the year Lisa.

Just persuaded the OH that's it's senseless taking the caravan home for three nights over the Easter/Wedding Bank holidays, so I've just extended our existing bookings - that will be an eleven night break!
smiley-smile.gif

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
We went to Knaresboro a couple weeks ago to the caravan club site. Site is really nice and central for area. We were really dissapointed with the price of the fish and chips in the on site Bar/restaurant. They cost £7:25p per portion. They are only £4:30p two mile down road. A complaint sent to the CC has gone unanswered still after three weeks.
Hopefully going to try a new site down York next week, its called "The Lapwing" I think near Huntington. Would of gone to York caravan park but they have gone adult only. Pity.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
cookieones said:
smiley-frown.gif

Allan & Gill.
Don't despair.
smiley-cry.gif

You can beat the fuel cost increase
smiley-cool.gif

There are two threads on here about reducing your fuel consumtion and staying closer to home. I am sure there are more ideas on that front.
Lower speed and better anticipation of the road ahead works wonders.
smiley-smile.gif

This year we are going to stay away longer at one site than ever before.The site is giving us a long stay discount and what we save on fuel at home goes towards the pitch fee. Our food and bar bill remains fairly constant too.

Also looking at using more CLs than before.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Went to Blackshaw Moore boxing day until 2nd of Jan, would have done a few more but Grin low and Blackshaw Moore close down from Jan until mid March, managed a trip to Lose hill last weekend of Feb, would have done a few more but at last the wife retired at the end of March and needed to make sure of a good transition of her work, so her patients weren’t inconvenienced. Off to Grin low this Thursday for long weekend followed by two weeks at Blackshaw Moore at Easter and to Penrhos Anglesey in May before our daughters wedding in June, Now the wife is fully retired expect to caravan at least two or three time a month through the year as well has our ten day stretches four times a year now we don't have work commitments. This year we intend to to try and caravan within a 150 to 175 mile radius until the fuel crisis improves. Was looking to take a trip to Norway sometime in the future, but it may not be for sometime yet.
Hope all enjoy this new caravan season now its in full swing.
NigelH

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
This is the CL we stayed on last week in the Cotswolds between Burford and Witney.
It was a farm site with nice owners. A small wood at the end where you could walk and eventually it led down to the bank of the River Windrush. There was an easier way by going through the farm yard. If wet you can walk your dog along the farms tarmacced drive which was about half a mile long with grass verges. Hard standings with EHU.
The river walk led to Minster Lovell.

cl2.jpg

cl4.jpg

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
The "season" never starts and finishes for us. We caravan all the year through, come rain or shine. In fact we prefer it this time of year....nice and quiet, no squwakin' kids running all over the place, LOVELY
Seems we're in a minority though....why dont you 'van right through the year Lisa ???

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
brightmore said:
The "season" never starts and finishes for us. We caravan all the year through, come rain or shine. In fact we prefer it this time of year....nice and quiet, no squwakin' kids running all over the place, LOVELY
Seems we're in a minority though....why dont you 'van right through the year Lisa ???

Hi

The last time we went away was when we got snowed in at the end of November last year.

We prefer to caravan from April onwards, just prefer the lighter nights and (hopefully) warmer weather.

Lisa

TRENDING THREADS