Are these damp readings acceptable?

Nov 27, 2018
Visit site
Hello,

Bit of a carry on from a further post http://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/technical/57135-broken-seal-should-i-be-worried

I did some damp readings, the area I suspected is actually one of the lowest! But I did get readings of between 20-25% on the roof, the rest was between 5-15% is this normal for a 10 yo van? It has been pretty wet lately. The van is pretty well ventilated and used a couple of weeks ago.

You’re advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Unless you are using a professional moisture meter I would always be a little suspicious of readings taken in a caravan. There are several reasons why the readings can be difficult to make consistently and accurately.

However, accurate readings in the range 5 to 20% would represent normal. and nothing to worry about.

20 to 30% might be the result of recent caravan usage where breathing and heating of water may temporarily raise the level.

Anything above 30 especially after its been laid up for a few days, and that is beginning to look suspicious.

Nov 27, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I would like to get it professionally checked, but thought I’d have a poke around my self first.

The readings were pretty consistent, nearly the whole roof read at 20. I was hoping that’s just enternal moisture from cooking/breathing/wet dogs.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
joefreegard said:
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I would like to get it professionally checked, but thought I’d have a poke around my self first.

The readings were pretty consistent, nearly the whole roof read at 20. I was hoping that’s just enternal moisture from cooking/breathing/wet dogs.

It's also a rather damp time of year so I would expect the readings so be a little higher, but taking that into account they don't seem too high. I would be more worried about a big variation.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Interestingly our 10 year old used van had readings of 20% to 25% at various places.
It was still under warranty, and the warranty company have agreed to repairs.
Got to say I am chuffed at that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts