Arles-Provence

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
After much consideration we have decided to base ourselves somewhere in the region of Arles for our visit to Provence in September. It looks fairly central for Avignon, Marseilles,Montpellier, La Carmargue and the Luberon.

Any recommendations , especially for a quiet caravan site in pleasant surrounds would be most welcome.We are not bothered about on site facilities butwould like to be within walking distance of bars or restaurants if possible.

Thanks in anticipation

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi Rioja

We love this area of France and have been visiting for 12 years!!

We base ourselves in St Remy De Provence, its a bit of a drive to Arles but great for touring the region.

we use Camping Monplaiser, easy walk to the lovely, lively town, nice a calm with a small pool but little else, apart from very good showers/toilet block.

Its a must to get booked now though as September is a really busy time on site.

The webb site for St Remy is very good if you take a look, just put in the town name in the search eng.

Hope this helps, but there are lots of good sites in the area.

Regards Madeleine

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for the tip Madeleine, we will look into it . We had been considering Camping Le Pins at Fontvieille which is pretty near. Do you know anything about it ?

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Ahhhhhhhhhhh! The Italian Rugby team is based at St Remy for the World Cup during September. I guess it could be very busy !

Matches are being played in Montpellier and Marseilles.

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi Rioja

dont know the camp site, but the town is nice with a couple of decent eating place, not as big as St Remy though.

The Scottish football team were based at St Remy during the world cup in France so I guess its very popular with sporting events, never really seen any evidence myself but the waiters in town said it creates a great atmosphere!

Theres the festival of Rice on in Arles in Sept thats really good (sounds a bit strange I know, but the French like to have festivals for everything,its very Spanish.

Regards

Madeleine

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Thank you both for your replies.

Evans of Sprot....what time of year did you go ?

Madeleine... we have booked 12 nights at Monplaiser. Thanks for the recommendation...it sounds just right !!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you both for your replies.

Evans of Sprot....what time of year did you go ?

Madeleine... we have booked 12 nights at Monplaiser. Thanks for the recommendation...it sounds just right !!
It was around Pentecost when I visited the town, cos I saw the F

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Thanks Graham but too late for us !!

Madeleine, another question if I may. Do you need different electric connections to the ones we use here for Monplaiser ?

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Graham but too late for us !!

Madeleine, another question if I may. Do you need different electric connections to the ones we use here for Monplaiser ?
Hi Rioja

Yes you need the small French connection that fits their boxes.

Have you looked on the camp site webb? its good fun looking round the site. Also there are lots of lovely eating places in town, try Le Gaulois in town for good hearty provencale food, lunch time is really good value, La Gousse d{pipe delimiter}ail is great with a jazz night mid week (booking ess) you pass this when walking into town (on the right), but my fav is in town 8 rue de la commune called La Serre its down one of the tiny streets , lovely food all cooked to order by the small crew, sometimes the owner cookes. Its a bit more pricey at about 25e for the 3 courses but well worth it, only thing is, (this is for Mrs Rioja if there is one) wear your sun glasse as you wont be able to take your eyes off Serge the owner, he was the talk of the camping last year!!.

Hope you have a wonderful time.

Regards Madeleine

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi Rioja

Yes you need the small French connection that fits their boxes.

Have you looked on the camp site webb? its good fun looking round the site. Also there are lots of lovely eating places in town, try Le Gaulois in town for good hearty provencale food, lunch time is really good value, La Gousse d{pipe delimiter}ail is great with a jazz night mid week (booking ess) you pass this when walking into town (on the right), but my fav is in town 8 rue de la commune called La Serre its down one of the tiny streets , lovely food all cooked to order by the small crew, sometimes the owner cookes. Its a bit more pricey at about 25e for the 3 courses but well worth it, only thing is, (this is for Mrs Rioja if there is one) wear your sun glasse as you wont be able to take your eyes off Serge the owner, he was the talk of the camping last year!!.

Hope you have a wonderful time.

Regards Madeleine
Thanks for the valuable info Madeleine. I only just picked up the fact there was a reply.

Yes there is currently a Mrs Rioja. The last night we are there is my birthday so I shall be looking for a place to celebrate.

As it's my treat , do you know anywhere that I'd need sun glasses for !!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts