Autumn is here,

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Cardiff Christmas market. Trying out the Cardiff Caravan site, (in the city) this time. Will report back.
Mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Mel said:
Cardiff Christmas market. Trying out the Cardiff Caravan site, (in the city) this time. Will report back.
Mel
Beautiful city Cardiff. I spent four happy years living down in Grangetown on the banks if the Taff. Look forward to being there at the end of November to watch the “World Cup winners” take the BAA BAAs to task :)

Question; with Cardiff having a nice Christmas Market how come Bath gets flooded with Taffs at that time of year?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We have near to us in RMK, Rural Milton Keynes, a nice site https://www.willowscaravanpark.com/
Not far from Huntingdon.
We are looking for places for maybe for a week , near to pubs, with dog walks.
Bring them on folks.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Still clinging on to a faint hope of one more trip this year and Hawes it would be for us. Stunning little village, early December all lit up for Christmas, and pubs to die for. Foaming pints of Old Pec in front of a roaring fire. If not that, then Castleton for same reasons.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thingy said:
Still clinging on to a faint hope of one more trip this year and Hawes it would be for us. Stunning little village, early December all lit up for Christmas, and pubs to die for. Foaming pints of Old Pec in front of a roaring fire. If not that, then Castleton for same reasons.

I will Check out a Hawes, forgot about, Castleton , is great. Lovely place, a steady tow to get there for us 3 hrs. Thank you.
Hutch.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Same for us, Hawes about 3 hours but Castleton only an hour. Hawes, if you havent been is great. Surrounded by some of Britains most stunning scenery, the CC site is a very easy walk into the village, under 5 minutes. Its got that time forgot feeling. Its All Creatures great and Small Country and the Drovers Arms from the series is pretty much as was back then. (Kings Arms at Askrigg). You have Castle Bolton, Wensleydale creamery, Hawdraw Falls, Aysgarth Falls and some of the best walking anywhere. Not to be mised is a run up to Tan Hill, Britains Highest Pub, but take your thermals.

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Mel, if Christmas markets are your thing Lincoln is worth a visit. The market is only held over one weekend, and it's huge and dominates everything but you can escape and find a nice pub (of which there are plenty) or maintain your sanity by drinking the mulled wine that seems to be available on every other stall. Camper UK Leisure Park run minibuses to and from the site.

We've also been to the one in Bath, which runs for most of November and December (I think) and is less overpowering than Lincoln, but that just gives you more time to enjoy the city which is beautiful. I may have written about it ...

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
SamandRose said:
Mel, if Christmas markets are your thing Lincoln is worth a visit. The market is only held over one weekend, and it's huge and dominates everything but you can escape and find a nice pub (of which there are plenty) or maintain your sanity by drinking the mulled wine that seems to be available on every other stall. Camper UK Leisure Park run minibuses to and from the site.

We've also been to the one in Bath, which runs for most of November and December (I think) and is less overpowering than Lincoln, but that just gives you more time to enjoy the city which is beautiful. I may have written about it ...

Thank you. I do like a good Christmas market.Yes, we have been to Lincoln market. Quite some years ago. It was rammed with people. Couldn’t get near many stalls. Perhaps now there are more Christmas markets, it is less rammed? I remember buying my 6 year old foster son a helium balloon there and seriously impressing on him the need to not let go or take it off his wrist, where I had tied it. He had “previous” on letting go of balloons after agitating for one ( the joys of fostering). Anyway he held onto it all the way back to the campsite, where the damn balloon came off it’s string and floated away, leaving the string still attached to his wrist.Took me hours to calm down the ensuing meltdown ( more of the joys of fostering :cheer: )

Considering taking the van to a German market, but not this year.
Mel

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Mel said:
SamandRose said:

Thank you. I do like a good Christmas market.Yes, we have been to Lincoln market. Quite some years ago. It was rammed with people. Couldn’t get near many stalls. Perhaps now there are more Christmas markets, it is less rammed? I remember buying my 6 year old foster son a helium balloon there and seriously impressing on him the need to not let go or take it off his wrist, where I had tied it. He had “previous” on letting go of balloons after agitating for one ( the joys of fostering). Anyway he held onto it all the way back to the campsite, where the damn balloon came off it’s string and floated away, leaving the string still attached to his wrist.Took me hours to calm down the ensuing meltdown ( more of the joys of fostering :cheer: )

Considering taking the van to a German market, but not this year.
Mel

A very good one in Lille, and plenty of Caravan sites open all year round, very near the city.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Just back from Chester Fairoaks. My wife just likes it for the shopping as Christmas draws near. Hope to visit family at Whitewater Park later.

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Live 3 mins from Castleton site and they are turning the Christmas lights on mid November so even prettier! We like Beech Croft Farm and Clover Fields both near Buxton.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
jallin said:
Live 3 mins from Castleton site and they are turning the Christmas lights on mid November so even prettier! We like Beech Croft Farm and Clover Fields both near Buxton.

Went to Clover fields last year. In the snow. Interesting tow back. ;) Dog ran on the ice covered pond and fell in. She wasn’t impressed, but we thought the site was lovely. Keep meaning to go back.
Mel

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Such a great site mel and a lovely family who run it. If you have a dog look at beech croft farm as they have a brilliant dog field and are right on a walking trail. Nice pubs in chelmorten. Love caravanning in autumn!

BryonySymes

Administrator
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
With all this talk of Christmas, does anyone know of any sites that do their own festive displays/events? We're doing a feature about it in the next issue...

Thanks,

B

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Bryony
It's been a long held pipe dream of mine to spend at least part of the festive season away in our caravan on a site with a decent restaurant nearby, where we can enjoy a Christmas dinner without the trouble of having to buy, cook and serve the food and the added bonus of no washing up afterwards.
Sadly, my pipe dream has to remain just that, because at least one of my three grown up sons always joins us for Christmas dinner at our house, sometimes we get all three plus my daughter in law and often the current girlfriends of the other two.
We love to see them and Christmas is for families, but for us it can be hard work at times, so we often daydream about getting away from it all just for once.
I see that the Camping and Caravanning Club has published a list of their sites which are open over the Christmas holiday period, and I'm sure that there will be many more commercially run holiday parks plus the C&MHC sites which will be open.
There used to be one C&CC district association in the Worcestershire area which held a Christmas rally complete with a large marquee in which a New Years Eve black tie dinner / dance was held but I don't have any details for 2019.
Blackmore C&CC site are holding a Black and Gold themed New Years Eve party which could tempt me as a life long supporter of Wolverhampton Wanderers football club who, as any football supporter will know, play in old gold and black strips. :lol:

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I live in Stow on the Wold and am not far from the Moreton In Marsh site. It's open all year round and I have seen festivally decorated caravans on site over the holiday period.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts