Awnings and wind; take them down or don't put them up

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
We were once told if the wind is over 30mph or forecast to be, don't put a non seasonal awning up-we learnt that this was good advice when we went to North Berwick on the back end of Hurricane Brian and had to get our Suncamp air porch awning down at 2am-it would maybe have been ok but the noise of it flapping kept us awake anyway!
At the mo we are at Eye Kettleby site and have helped take 2 torn awnings down and assisted with taking a further 6 down-bit like flying a kite at some points-took 5 of us with one of them. I f it is a seasonal with storm straps fine but otherwise it's not worth damaging the awning or the van sides!

Reactions: Robert_374373903
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
it a good job our new awning is not up at present we have 50 mph winds and increasing i was told to put my car where awning goes to protect the caravan

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We were once told if the wind is over 30mph or forecast to be, don't put a non seasonal awning up-we learnt that this was good advice when we went to North Berwick on the back end of Hurricane Brian and had to get our Suncamp air porch awning down at 2am-it would maybe have been ok but the noise of it flapping kept us awake anyway!
At the mo we are at Eye Kettleby site and have helped take 2 torn awnings down and assisted with taking a further 6 down-bit like flying a kite at some points-took 5 of us with one of them. I f it is a seasonal with storm straps fine but otherwise it's not worth damaging the awning or the van sides!
i would agree with you last night 4 awning were took down and someone taking one down today he had about 6 people helping him

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
There’s awnings and awnings. Most seasonal are top drawer eg Isabella with carbon fibre poles and substantial canvas. Note how they are pegged at ground level, usually heavy duty long steel pegs. More so the storm straps are internal using 18” pegs secured to strong straps which attach to the frame internally. No seat belt things across the roof. My Kampa Rallye Air pro did blow over in high winds. It still resides in the loft. The Izzy is pretty well bullet proof.
But do not take an awning down in high winds. You risk damage to you and the caravan!

Reactions: PTA
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There’s awnings and awnings. Most seasonal are top drawer eg Isabella with carbon fibre poles and substantial canvas. Note how they are pegged at ground level, usually heavy duty long steel pegs. More so the storm straps are internal using 18” pegs secured to strong straps which attach to the frame internally. No seat belt things across the roof. My Kampa Rallye Air pro did blow over in high winds. It still resides in the loft. The Izzy is pretty well bullet proof.
But do not take an awning down in high winds. You risk damage to you and the caravan!

Agree with your post. My Magnum also had supplementary tie down points about 18 inches up from the ground and along both sides and front. They were very effective on their own or in conjunction with the internal ones that you described.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
It depends on how well they are put up and pegged down.
Dont let the wind get inside and turn the thing into a parachute. Double peg the corners. Have storm straps that attach to the frame and also keep the canvas down - the Isabella ones are excellent for that.
Any saggy roofs will let rain pool and drag the awning down. Water is very heavy.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I never had any issues with our Isabella full awning, even in gale force winds but our NR porch had aluminium poles and one was bent into a curve during a force 9.

As said, it's how well it's pegged and how taut the canvas is.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ground conditions can also have an effect. We’ve only ever had one awning give a problem and that was on hard standing at Freshwater East. But the pitch comprised a large percentage sand and not much grass around to hold secondary guys. Very wet heavy rain with gale winds. Up through night holding it down etc. Next day joined queue at nearby leisure shop for 12 inch large steel pegs.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Ground conditions can also have an effect. We’ve only ever had one awning give a problem and that was on hard standing at Freshwater East. But the pitch comprised a large percentage sand and not much grass around to hold secondary guys. Very wet heavy rain with gale winds. Up through night holding it down etc. Next day joined queue at nearby leisure shop for 12 inch large steel pegs.
Hi otherclive the 12 in Large steel pegs did they have a maker name then i can buy some when we get home . Thanks

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi otherclive the 12 in Large steel pegs did they have a maker name then i can buy some when we get home . Thanks
No makers name but similar dimensions to those in Buckman’s post. But I could never buy any with the outer scroll like those as they are made from reinforcing bar, and it holds too many painful memories for me 👎👎

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Still .with the subject but moving to the pegs. I carry two types one being knock in with hammer , the other screw in with socket spanner. At Horsley on the hardstanding the screw in will not work as the substance they use is not suitable . The knock in ones are more suitable and find that a rubber mallet was not any use so the old club hammer is used . However the pegs I have bent by not penetrating the hardstand is annoying.

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
We keep an eye on the weather forecast. If it’s going to gust over 45mph we take it down while still calm. Although it’s an Isabella I’d rather not risk it. It goes up and down really easily so it’s no great problem taking it down for 24 hours and popping it back up again.
The Kampa Air was a disaster in stormy weather , kept folding in on itself knocking over furniture and damaging the van, everything drenched with rainwater as well as condensation.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We keep an eye on the weather forecast. If it’s going to gust over 45mph we take it down while still calm. Although it’s an Isabella I’d rather not risk it. It goes up and down really easily so it’s no great problem taking it down for 24 hours and popping it back up again.
The Kampa Air was a disaster in stormy weather , kept folding in on itself knocking over furniture and damaging the van, everything drenched with rainwater as well as condensation.
Spot on. Exactly why my Kampa Rallye Air still resides in the loft.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Well after a severe hooley on Eye Kettleby lakes i can confirm what you are saying-all season awnings on the other side ie not the windward side survived as did some Kampa airs and some Outdoor Revolutions BUT everything else was either taken down or shredded-we formed a little team and 5 or 6 of us took 8 awnings down between us-2 were damaaged the rest we got down before damage-we then nipped round any absentee owners who were v grateful when they got back-sadly we should have acted earlier and saved the other 2 but you don't know till you start do you! I now know the ins and outs of quite a few awnings and feel we did our good deed! We moved the car in front of the van and had a fairly peaceful night!

Reactions: Beachball
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well after a severe hooley on Eye Kettleby lakes i can confirm what you are saying-all season awnings on the other side ie not the windward side survived as did some Kampa airs and some Outdoor Revolutions BUT everything else was either taken down or shredded-we formed a little team and 5 or 6 of us took 8 awnings down between us-2 were damaaged the rest we got down before damage-we then nipped round any absentee owners who were v grateful when they got back-sadly we should have acted earlier and saved the other 2 but you don't know till you start do you! I now know the ins and outs of quite a few awnings and feel we did our good deed! We moved the car in front of the van and had a fairly peaceful night!
Hi you could give me help to put up our Vango Awning now you have all of this Knowledge because i have watch two Video about it on Youtube

• Haha
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
It would be a pleasure; broke my foot last year and a kind 5th wheeler came over and helped swmbo put the awning up-we were so grateful-that's the thing about the caravan community-everyone seems so nice and helpful and always happy to return the favour.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
It would be a pleasure; broke my foot last year and a kind 5th wheeler came over and helped swmbo put the awning up-we were so grateful-that's the thing about the caravan community-everyone seems so nice and helpful and always happy to return the favour.
i to help a older couple when i was younger because been tall i came in handy and for my trouble would you like some homemade cake it was great

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts