Bailey Olympus 534 v Sterling Europa 550

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Looking at a deal for either of the above with my present van as trade-in. At first have been offered £7000 against Olympus but £9600 against Europa even though the Olympus is £1000 cheaper. Will obviously attempt a better deal against the Olympus but what do others think about the individual vans.
Personally at the moment I tend to favour the Bailey except for the price. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

MikeH

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi Mike We've got the 534.Generally very pleased with it and its a lovely van to live in.The bed is great if you get a 50mm topper but hard without it.We like the minimalist look inside - others would call it spartan but its personal preference.There have been a few silly faults where Bailey have not developed it properly and cut corners to save literally pennies.I have resolved these myself.Again the body shape splits opinion.I can forgive the odd front shape but the "bumpers" seem to be made from recycled yoghurt pots - they are embarrasingly poor.Bailey recognise this as they have been modified but they should never have made it into production IMO.
Beware the noseweight.I struggle to get 80kg and carry nothing but 1 Calorlite bottle in the front whilst towing.Everything else goes over the axle or under the bed.You have to be carefull not to put anything of significant weight too far back under the bed or it becomes twitchy.
Overall though,we're pleased with the van.

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi Mike,
The true value of your old van is the same for both. What the dealer is actually saying is that they are more desperate to sell off the Europa. To that end they are knocking off an extra £2600 off the price.
I would still go for the van you prefer, the cost to change to the Olympus will be more, but due to its popularity, should hold its value better when you come to resell.

Hope that helps
smiley-smile.gif

Tango

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Just to let you know, have ordered the bailey olympus. Deals very similar after taking into account the replacing of motor mover and further negotiating.
thanks
mikeH

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts