Bailey Pageant Sancerre

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi.
Do any members here own one of the above models?
Would be grateful for any of your comments please.
Wife is adamant that she wants to return to a fixed bed with end washroom and the size,weight,layout and equipment sounds very good.
Not sure if we could afford new,but used is defintly an option.
Many thanks.
Adrian.

adrian, we bought one of these new in september last year and think it is fantastic. we tow with a 06 hyundia tucson with no problems. if there is a small problem it is a teeny weey one with access to the under seats in lounge as you have to lift the seat, there is no pull down door, but not a real problem as we store things not need often, spare throws for dog, iron etc. we have used the van loads this year approx 70 nights and still love it. we have no hesitation in recommending this van. we have not seen many second hand ones though so you might have a search good luck!!
christine and wilf

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Christine.Thanks for the reply.
A couple of things I was wondering about are the handles to open the cabinets.Ive read that they seem a little flimsy and the overall lighting isnt very bright.
Also,can you access the storage area under the fixed bed from the outside,or is that a "wet locker"?
I agree,I havent seen many second hand ones for sale so maybe people who have bought them are pleased with them, so not many back on the market.
Adrian.

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi Adrian We have a Bailey Senator California 2009 which is the same size and layout as a Sancerre ie fixed bed, rear end washroom etc. It is better equipped than a Sancerre and so weighs a bit more. Sorry, ours is not for sale - we love it too much!!
Mike

Aug 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi Adrian,
We have had our Sancerre for almost 12 months now, overal we really enjoy using the van although we have had a couples of things wrong with it the first being two of the blinds don't operate as they should and secondly the water pump for the toilet flush froze and split the casing which I got replaced on warranty, I was told it was a common problem not just effecting Bailey's, even though I had drained the system down there was still a small amount of water sitting at the bottom of the pump causing it to split, this year I will remove it and store in the garage. Another thing to consider is the weight of the table which may be a problem to the less able, now thats the negitives now the positives theres a good size wardrobe and plenty of storage for what ever you need, theres four of us and its not a problem, we use the shower and find it excellent the bed and the seating are comfy and the general standard of equipment is good, as for the lighting we have found it to be adequate personnaly I don't want to be sat under a 500 watt spot light. The bed has a huge area under it which can also be accessed from outside we use this area for chairs hook up cable etc. As the other poster said it would have been nice to have a drop down doors under the front seating but there are always little things in any van that you own where you think why did they do that or why they didnt do this.
Just one thing puzzels me with the Sancarre and thats the draw sized hole above the fire, what this is supposed to be used for is anyones guess if anyone has any good idea's please let me know.
So there you have it only you can decide if the layout is for you and if it is I'm sure you find it to be an excellent tourer.
If you have any more questions just help and I will try to reply.
Cheerio
Muggler

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We also love the California
When I was in North Staffs Caravans last week they had a second hand VGC California for sale
No flimsy handles but I have replaced the ones above and to the side of the bed with B & Q handles that you can grip better(hand goes through) when steadying yourself getting in and out of bed

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The weight of the table was only a problem for us when getting it into the loft
We never use the supplied van tables as they are always on the heavy side
We use the flip over front chest table as there is just 2 of us and the table storage space is used for 2 camping tables that we use outside or in the awning

Aug 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi John
I must agree with you the senator is a lovely van and would have perfered it to the Pageant but couldn't afford the extra spondulas saying that we are very pleased the pageant.
Could you you please explain how you have fitted a grill above the fire it does get hot and it seems a shame to let that heat go to waste heating nothing.
Thanks Muggler.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thank you for the replies.Most helpful.
I didnt think the Sancerre had a front chest where you could use the "pull over" top.(unless its an option).

I thought i had read a review where a stand alone table could be used instead.
If this is true,i suppose once you deduct the weight for the chest,the stand alone table wouldnt be that heavy.
Just one other point.....The Sancerre is fitted with ATC....would I have to alter or change anything on the towing car?
Adrian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I had to purchase the chest as an extra and in fact Googled it and got one from someone close to home for £100
If the van is wired to standard the ATC will work OK
I had my car wired at the Ford dealer and it was just the standard wiring and it works OK
It makes an alarming sound at first as the brakes go on/off on hook up but you get used to that
So far in a couple of thousand miles I have only felt it once when going round a roundabout with panache(too fast)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I removed the top and then the shelf and using PVCU vent soffit board that I already had sprayed it Ford Cordoba Beige
You will see what a good match it is to the original vent
That is because I sprayed them both !!
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p84/johng_016/fire.jpg

My friend had the same problem with inside the wardrobe getting too hot so we did the same job on his
I have on previous vans using smaller grills as sold in caravan shops fitted a computer fan to draw out the heat

Aug 26, 2008
Visit site
Thanks john for the extra info, by looking at the photo you have done a nice job it doesn't look out of place at all. I will have look at mine and try and do something similar over the winter.
Adrian I think you will find the chest is an option on the Sancerre. If there just two of you in the van this could be a good option instead of lugging the table out every time you want a bite to eat. just be mindful it could effect your noseweight , I carry very little in the front locker other than the gas bottle and few other odds and sods most things like the hook up cable etc go under the bed to enable me to get a 75kg noseweight.
Regarding your electrics on the car if you have already got a twin electric set up you will need the adaptor to go from your twin electrics off the car to the 13 pin plug on the caravan, if you haven't got a tow bar yet ask your installer put a 13 pin electrics on the car it shouldn't cost anymore to do it.
Thanks
Muggler.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts