Battery Advice

Feb 3, 2021
Visit site
Hi, all i bought this battery brand new last month used it on one weekend away, when i went to remove the battery i noticed this on top could anyone tell me if its leaking please. see pics below
Many Thanks in advance
Phill20210701_091154(1).jpg20210701_094142.jpg

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
From the photos , it just looks like the cables are rubbing inside the battery compartment, is there any fluid and is it a sealded battery.

Feb 3, 2021
Visit site
From the photos , it just looks like the cables are rubbing inside the battery compartment, is there any fluid and is it a sealded battery.
Hi, Thanks for the reply I checked the cable's they didn't seem to be rubbing on the edge of the sticker thier seems to be a bit of bubbling, it's a sealed battery.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Unusual for the cables to do that unless the battery box was dirty as you installed the battery. On the right hand side of the NCC sticker it almost looks like overheating marks. Dies that rub off or is it on the surface ? Even sealed batteries vent and will discharge a measure of contents if overcharged. Perhaps you can provide further description of the marks, powdery stuff.

What charger doesyour caravan have, and are there solar panel fitted?

Feb 3, 2021
Visit site
Unusual for the cables to do that unless the battery box was dirty as you installed the battery. On the right hand side of the NCC sticker it almost looks like overheating marks. Dies that rub off or is it on the surface ? Even sealed batteries vent and will discharge a measure of contents if overcharged. Perhaps you can provide further description of the marks, powdery stuff.

What charger doesyour caravan have, and are there solar panel fitted?
Hi, it's a sealed unit and marks on top do not rub off I have the ESM 4 system I have checked the battery today and its showing 12.77 , the reason for asking this question was if there's something wrong with it I would try to return it.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Difficult then to tell if the marks don't rub off they could be caused by cable rub, or perhaps the battery did overheat/overpressure. Its a new battery and despite being marketed as "sealed' they have to be vented. Did you remove the two vent plugs that would have been fitted if it came by internet or you transported it from the seller. Keeping the little vent plugs in would lead to overpressure and venting under pressure whilst charging.

Feb 3, 2021
Visit site
Difficult then to tell if the marks don't rub off they could be caused by cable rub, or perhaps the battery did overheat/overpressure. Its a new battery and despite being marketed as "sealed' they have to be vented. Did you remove the two vent plugs that would have been fitted if it came by internet or you transported it from the seller. Keeping the little vent plugs in would lead to overpressure and venting under pressure whilst charging.
Hi, there is a small black venting tube one side and a blank the other side this is how came when I bought it .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Is the blank a small removable plug? Could the venting tube have become restricted after you installed it in the battery box?

Aug 17, 2019
Visit site
Just come back from 2 week hoilday in brixham with devon da had a bit of trouble with my battery the battery is about 6years old never had any problem before bit while on hoilday the unit showing how good the battery is was always on amber the solar panel reg was showing green to say the panel was working but the battery indicator light was showing flashing green then soon went to amber then flashing red ?? Forgot my meter but just got home tested and only showing 11.3v and its been wallto wall sun today does anybody think it could be solar panel or battery thats on its way out

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Thats an interesting one OC, vent plugs???
My last battery and the newer one both being Numax I cant recall removing any vent plugs or being instructed to do so.
Where would they be located on the battery, I need to check next time on
with the van.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thats an interesting one OC, vent plugs???
My last battery and the newer one both being Numax I cant recall removing any vent plugs or being instructed to do so.
Where would they be located on the battery, I need to check next time on
with the van.
Draw an imaginary line down the Center and they are normally at the end in the center if the side just below the top surface. But the OPs had a piece of tube inserted into one vent. Presumably by the seller. Any I’ve bought on line for car or caravan had small red plastic plugs though.

8F5AC737-BDC7-4DA5-9A35-6E58E2873831.jpegBC961749-4159-4AFD-B078-BF89BD7F8A05.png
Part 30 shows the location. The opposite side shows a venting tube at 40. It’s a MB arrangement not caravan

Last edited:
Reactions: Gagakev
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Draw an imaginary line down the Center and they are normally at the end in the center if the side just below the top surface. But the OPs had a piece of tube inserted into one vent. Presumably by the seller. Any I’ve bought on line for car or caravan had small red plastic plugs though.

View attachment 1876View attachment 1877
Part 30 shows the location. The opposite side shows a venting tube at 40. It’s a MB arrangement not caravan
Thanks OC will check next time I see the van,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts