battery charger not working

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Can anyone help me? I have a Fleetwood Garland 148, 1989 model. I have just realised the battery charger is not working. I put a new 12v battery in but it became flat quite quickly. Could anyone tell me in lay mans terms what to do please?

Thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lisa,

Save yourself a lot of money and find a good auto electrician(mobile) to have a look at it,does sound maybe you have an earthing problem.

The auto electrian will put it right very quickly and of course safely.Happy Caravanning Good Luck.Jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
MOST IMPORTANT if you are concerned or feel that you do not have skill to fault find on electrical equipment then seek help from someone who knows. 3 steps to check; first is there mains voltage at the 240v AC side of the charger, check the mains supply fuse, the supply switch is on, if ok check if mains is getting to the charger by using multimeter. two if mains is at the charger switch on and check the output with the multimeter should be 13 - 14v DC. (some chargers have a output fuse - check) if ok check at the batt for 13-14v DC. if all these 3 steps are ok then the charger should work.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
lisa, are you sure the charger is duff? to make sure remove the battery and conect the van up to the mains like you would on site. if none of your 12volt equipment works then your charger is at fault.if they do work then the charger is fine because the flip side of the charger 'filling up' your battery is that it also reduces 240v to 12v. also my dealer said that on avondales the charging unit hardly ever goes wrong, while on baileys they say they have changed around 14 this year. best of luck, dave.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for your advice. I've found an auto electrician (recommended by someone else). When he comes out to look at the prob, I'll ask him to show me what he is looking for etc and how he is going to rectify it.

Many thanks.

Lisa

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts