best/cheapest route to get to the atlantic coast?

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
hi - im going to venture abroad with the van for the first this summer
just not sure how to go about it ?
whether to drive / ferry or ferry to mid france ?

any hints or tips or places to look for the best deals on ferries?

thanks for any help

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
We usually visit the Vendee region and go by Brittany Ferries from Portsmouth to Caen. We use Camping Cheques (off peak dates only) and get three free with a ferry booking. Caen to the Atlantic coast is a reasonably easy drive of approx 250 miles on decent roads (mostly the A84 toll free m way) I've always been put off the St Malo crossing on cost considerations plus long crossing time. However, that's just me being a bit tight. Caravans go free on the crossing that I use. The total cost of ferry, and 15 nights on site last June came to about 400 ish quid, but this year will probably be a bit more, I haven't priced it up yet.
Enjoy doing your research, and I'm sure you will get many more helpful replies. Just take your time when you get off the boat and don't panic!

Happy Christmas and happy caravanning!

Regards Derek

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Depends a lot on where you're travelling from in UK and how far south you heading.
I did Condor Ferries Portsmouth - Cherbourg summer 2009 - at less than £200 it was very good value being about £300 cheaper than a Brittany Ferries crossing, booked through Alan Rogers Travel. This service was only available on Summer Sundays May to Sept and geared for the caravan market. Summer 2010 I used Tesco deals for the tunnel but am using Norfolkline deal with Caravan Club this coming year - £74 return Dover - Dunkirk.
All the best
Carwyn

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
The Alan Rogers organisation, via Camping Cheques (www.campingcheque.co.uk) are offering 'Caravans go Free' on certain selected Brittany Ferries sailings, and are definitely worth looking at for a quote for ferry crossings generally. You have to buy three Camping Cheques (cost £42.00) to qualify, but you may be able to use these if you're going on the appropriate dates, and if not then you can always sell them on forums like this one, or use them for a long-weekend in Britain.
Otherwise, if you're taking a caravan, then generally Norfolk Lines work out cheapest - we paid just £58.00 for a return crossing for car and caravan, using the code which they issued at the NEC Caravan Show in October. They tend to repeat this at the caravan show in February, so it may be worth waiting until then if you want a really cheap crossing. The Caravan Club and the Caravanning and Camping Club also offer cheap ferries to members, on some crossings and some dates.

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
thanks for all of your kind help and messages -
i just dont understand how my prices are working out to 600 pounds?
is this purely because im going in August or do they offer special deals from time to time?
im prob looking at going from portsmouth - north france not bothered which port but looking for a good deal , and at the moment all the prices just seem to be over £500 just for the crossing?

any thoughts or ideas for me on this?

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
thanks for all of your kind help and messages -
i just dont understand how my prices are working out to 600 pounds?
is this purely because im going in August or do they offer special deals from time to time?
im prob looking at going from portsmouth - north france not bothered which port but looking for a good deal , and at the moment all the prices just seem to be over £500 just for the crossing?

any thoughts or ideas for me on this?

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi Carl (or Thelma65!)
It probably is all in the timing. Just as a 'test' I checked the Alan Rogers/Camping Cheque website which I mentioned above, and using the details of a 5 metre car, caravan between 6 and 7 metres, two adults, going out on the 7th August from Portsmouth to Caen at 14.45 and coming back on the 21st from Caen to Portsmouth at 8.30, the quote came in at £514.85 (that's including 3 Camping Cheques worth £42.00).
Trying dates of outward 21st August, and back on 5th September (the Caravans go Free offer is available after the 21st August), the quote is £312.35 including the Camping Cheques, again worth £42.00 - saving more than £200!
There are many of us on here who holiday, now, outside peak season, knowing that you can make real savings - not just on ferry crossings, but also on campsite fees too. Even those with children can often squeeze two weeks in at the end of August/beginning of September to benefit from the lower prices at that time. The camping/caravanning season in France is very short - and most of the French have gone home by the 15th August, so after that many sites start to reduce their prices, or accept an ACSI card or Camping Cheques or similar, so you can also benefit from these. If you use an ACSI or Camping Cheques sites then they also often do special offers such as 14 nights for 11 Camping Cheques - which brings the price down to around £11.00 per night, which includes pitch fee for car and caravan (or tent or motorhome), an awning, two adults, and electrici hook-up - and on a few sites even a private bathroom on your pitch if there are any available!
There are also lots of other smaller sites where you can get a pitch at a reasonable price - depending on the area you're heading for.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts