Best time of year to purchase touring caravan

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
Hello, I have never owned a caravan and I'm looking to purchase a one or two year old caravan, when is the best time of year to buy with discounts?

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
During the winter, but I wouldn't buy my first van from a dealer. Look out for (locally if possible), an elderly couple who are giving up caravanning, either for health reasons, or age.
Two reasons why I recommend this, one because it will fairly certainly have been looked after, and two, you might well get the kit to go with it, an awning perhaps, or chairs and picnic table. You might just fall in lucky and get the whole kit and kaboodle, and believe me, that would save you a whole bundle of money! From a dealer you'd probably get just the bare van.Yes, you'd get a bit of warranty, but I'd personally rather have the goodies!
Good luck in your search, whatever you decide, and keep us informed, please.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I agree with the above. Winter is fine for buying from a dealer we find just around Xmas into early new year for cars or caravan. If you buy private look for a good service history with invoices. If possible insist on a damp check before finalising the purchase. Although if the last service damp check was good and less than 6 months previous you are unlikely to get any real major problems arising in that time. Damp is not easy to spot by visual means. It's not like damp in your house. If you can spot and smell it walk away as its serious. You could arrange one yourself via a mobile fitter if the sellers are reluctant. But if the van has service history they should also have all the damp check readings too. Also check tyre age. It's recommended that tyres are changed at 5 years old and certainly no later than 7 years old absolute max.
The Caravan and MH Club magazine and web site have good members adverts as do the C&CC too. If the seller is a member and has been caravanning for some years and there's a good chance you will pick up a good van and kit. I sold everything in Spring 2014 including the tow car. And the then 9 year old caravan has been used regularly since then without and problems. Good luck.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If buying a nearly new caravan don't assume you automatically get the manufacturer warranty, you have to ask for it direct to manufacturer. I found this out the hard way.

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
I brought our first van from a dealer. This was so we had a full 12 month warranty and some peace of mind if things went wrong. The van we got had one owner and was new from the dealer we brought it from. It had a full history and had been looked after which has paod dividends now we've traded it in.

We had a look at a van that a couple were selling. It has all the accessories but it had a fridge fault .... not something I wanted to have to sort out so we left alone.

There are benefits in both dealer and private sales so I'd look at both options and decide what suits you.

Good luck!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I used to teach guitar at a local college and one of the questions I was often asked was "what guitar should I get?" My answer applies equally to guitars and caravans!

I'd always recommend looking for a second hand guitar for two main reasons. The first is you are likely to find the guitar you want for a lower cost, or you may be able to afford a better guitar for the same money.

And secondly, If you find you don't like it and you want to sell it, the loss you may suffer will be bigger if had bought it new, and you may almost break even if it was second hand to you. In some case instruments can actually appreciate in value!

So I think a secondhand first purchase is a great idea.
Firstly it will obviously be cheaper for the reasons above but also in the case of caravans it's most likely to have any teething troubles sorted out. If its only two years old, it should be possible to have the remainder of the manufacturers warranty reassigned to you, though that is something you must do, it doesn't happen automatically.

Whether to buy from a dealer or privately is open to debate. The same caravan will be more expensive from a dealer, but you will get more enforceable cover through the Consumer Rights Act, but as others have said a private seller may let it go for less, and with a range of the useful/desirable extra's.

As you are new to caravanning, I would strongly recommend having a caravanning friend or member of the family check the van over with you or even employing a mobile caravan engineer to visit and do a condition report especially for a private sale. This may prevent an expensive mistake. In theory you should not need to do that for a dealer sale, but it can give peace of mind to know an expert you employ has given it the thumbs up.

Can I add a word or two of caution, Please check your driving licence to establish what you are allowed to drive. If you passed your test after After December 1996 there are tighter limits.

And also do check the full specifications of the car and caravan for compatibility.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
In October 2015 we purchased a brand new 2014 model year caravan with a good discount from the local dealer, also got a good PX price for my 9.5 year old Sprite Alpine. For us a very good deal, just have a good look around.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Whatto and welcome to the forum. :cheer:

I have to concur that unless you are absolutely sure you want to join the caravan lifestyle buying a nearly new 'van is a little risky. If you go for a good quality older 'van which is in good condition then it's unlikely to lose too much money if you decide to sell on next season.

If you're after a good deal on something new but reduced by £2-4K then now is the time to buy. Dealers are currently trying to get rid of 2017 and even some left over 2016 models in order to make room for the 2018 demo vehicles next month onwards.

December/January will see a good stock of second hand vans being traded in for the new season vans. People who have ordered at the Lawns and NEC shows will start getting their vans around that time.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do agree that it is better to start with a second hand caravan to see how you get on with it. If you like it then you can trade up later.
Buying privately or from a dealer is a choice which has pros and cons either way as the Prof says. If you know someone who caravans then you might be as well taking them along when buying as they should have a better knowledge of what to look for. My feeling is that for first time buyers a dealer is a better bet even if it does cost a bit more.
If buying second hand though make sure you have a recent damp test available and all maintainance records. If there is still a manufacturers warranty get copies and notify the manufacturer to keep this valid.
If buying privately get the chassis number and check this with HPI and the NCC to make sure it is not stolen or on HP and make sure they demonstrate that everything works.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Raywood said:
I do agree that it is better to start with a second hand caravan to see how you get on with it. If you like it then you can trade up later.
Buying privately or from a dealer is a choice which has pros and cons either way as the Prof says. If you know someone who caravans then you might be as well taking them along when buying as they should have a better knowledge of what to look for. My feeling is that for first time buyers a dealer is a better bet even if it does cost a bit more.
If buying second hand though make sure you have a recent damp test available and all maintainance records. If there is still a manufacturers warranty get copies and notify the manufacturer to keep this valid.
If buying privately get the chassis number and check this with HPI and the NCC to make sure it is not stolen or on HP and make sure they demonstrate that everything works.

On such a modern van as the sort you are thinking of buying check the CRIS database, look at the sellers CRIS documents and check the windows for the CRIS stencils.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts