Bike Carriers for rear of Caravan

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
Hi Steven

I would seriously consider NOT doing this. Hanging a couple of bikes on the back of a caravan is a seriously dumb thing to do for stability. It is almost inviting an accident at speed.

It is OK on the back of a motorhome where it will not affect stability, but is really bad news for a caravan.

If you want an explanation, all car/caravan combinations will have a critical speed at which they become unstable (uncontrollable snaking). Thankfully (due to the 85% rule and good loading advice) the ctitical speed for most car/caravan combinations is above the towing speed limit. The more weight is loaded behind the caravan axle the lower this speed becomes. he further behind the axle, the lower it comes still. 10kg 2m behind the axle will cause a greater reduction in critical speed than 20kg 1m behind the axle. Hange say 30kg of carrier and a couple of bikes 3m behind the axle and there is a very good chance that you will reduce the critical speed below the towing speed limit. Then any small disturbance (passing car/truck/white van etc) is going to induce a snake. Yes a stabiliser will help to reduce the severity of the snake, but will not prevent one from happening, it may just mean you are travelling faster when it does happen.

It is far better to put bikes up on a roof rack where they are loaded centrally between the front and rear axles.

Ask yourself a question - when did you last see a caravan with bikes mounted on the back of it? (Except in the Fia*$a catalogue)

There my few pennys worth.

David

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Its potentially dangerous particularly with single axle caravans in that it increases the moment of inertia to yaw about the axle.

Put in more understandable language the van becomes a heavier pendulum, responding slower but more violently to swings induced by lorries passing and side wind disturbances. Heavy weight should be placed as close to the axle not as far away as possible like on the back.

Some continentals get away with it but this is due to the much longer drawbar lengths and placing the axle further back that is UK practice.

Best left to motorhomes

Jun 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi Stephen that not a very good idea it would make for poor stability, why not opt for a roof rack mounted option or even put the bike in the middle of the van over the axle secured of course.Or another option is if you have a van with a long a frame up front you could put it there ive seen it done but ide rather not do this as it would play havoc with the noseweight and may impair your turning circle i suspect. However i reckon the first 2 options are the best. hopes this helps luke

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts