Bike Carriers

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi

I'm looking for a bike carrier for 3 bikes to fit a 2007 BMW X5. I want one that fits on the rear of the car and which doesn't interfere with the tow hitch.

Anybody got one or know of one which might fit?

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
I decided that many germans, french and NL's can't be so wrong by putting a carrier (2 bikes) on the rear of the van so that's where mine is and it's never caused me a problem. I struggle to get the nose weight down anyway.

Now I'm going to take to the bunker to avoid all the flak.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I have a MAXXRAXX bike rack on my motor try this link might work www.MAXXRAXX.co.uk hope this helps great rack and you can lock it to the car.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
I have gone for roof mounted,had rear mounted but found had to remove the bikes when i needed stuff out of the boot plus when i arrived on site first things off were the bikes not much fun when raining and wanted to pitch the van quickly

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I decided that many germans, french and NL's can't be so wrong by putting a carrier (2 bikes) on the rear of the van so that's where mine is and it's never caused me a problem. I struggle to get the nose weight down anyway.

Now I'm going to take to the bunker to avoid all the flak.
Many of the continental caravan manufacturers add additional internal battens in the rear wall to accommodate the carrier fixings.

Most UK vans do not have this additional stiffening, and thus the wall or moulding may suffer impact and screw hole damage.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Many of the continental caravan manufacturers add additional internal battens in the rear wall to accommodate the carrier fixings.

Most UK vans do not have this additional stiffening, and thus the wall or moulding may suffer impact and screw hole damage.
Greetings,

My Swift (circa 2007) has the ability to carry bikes on the back.

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi, have a look at Witter tow bar cycle carriers ive never had a problem but shop about for the right price
Hi

Checked out the witter ZX89 which looked promising but apparently this doesn't fit detachable or swan neck towbars. Unfortunately the BMW X5 is a detachable swan neck!

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi.

I had roof mounted ... nightmare. Difficult to get bikes on. Never happy that they were secure. Then an incident with a carpark height restriction barrier meant the carrier was destined for the skip. I now have a MAXXRAXX. Fantastic. Strong, rugged, easy to fit, dead easy to load the bikes and bikes very secure and lockable. Totally confident in it. Very well priced. Take a look at the website. I would recommend them 110%.

Dave.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
A solution is to mount these type of front fork clamps onto a piece of 19 mm ply wood cut to just fit across the under-bed lockers.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Delta_Hitch_Pro_Fork_Mount/5360006702/
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Saris_Trap_TR1BLK/5360019005/
Obviously the front wheels are removed and I find it best with the pedals off and the bars loosened and turned to be inline. It's also easier with bikes in their rear first; that way you can access the clamps and bike can be "barrowed" in on the rear wheel. That way you can carefully control the bike to avoid contact getting them in or out.

The wheels can be tucked between the bikes.

Only done this with two bikes but it ought to work with three; I now use the system to hold our bikes in the car where again it works well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts