Biofuel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I read this week that a House of Lords report suggests that more than a million acres of agricultural land reserved for wildlife, including threatened species, in Britain should be converted to crops to help meet targets for biofuel. I think this is terrible. Are we really so desperate for a few more gallons (sorry litres) of the stuff? Time we got our priorities right I think. Jim.

G

If it's agriculutural land, it probably means that some nutty EU quota has produce that should be grown here being trucked across Europe or flown in from Africa so it's unused now.

The local florist near here as two huge Dutch lorries delivering there twice a week from Glass City. So apart from bio fuel if the Dutch can grow flowers all year round under glass why are a few of our fields not roofed over to save on trucking from Europe.

As our fuel is shipped from far away, grow some here!

We need the fuel to run our vehicles so yes we are desperate for the stuff as we can be held ransome to the Opec cartel and any price blip they decide on when some fruit cake hiding in a cave wants to waste a few more souls.

Also with people doing garden make overs building patios and using decking and gravel and paving as they are to lazy to cut grass or get their handies a bit grubby weeding what makes you thing they are that interested about nature any way.

A lot talk green issues but many are probably doing so under their patio heaters whinging about the neighbours new 4 x 4 with the local wild life and birds and bees deprived of half the previous garden as it's covered in concrete products, imported decking and coloured gravel as they are to busy at the weekends driving to the Gym for keep fit sessions followed by a choccie topped latte and a lazy re ale Sunday lunch on a pub patio under another patio heater.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jim

Well done for drawing our attention to this. Some time ago I read a report from Friends of the Earth that the projected requirement for vegetable oil for bio fuel was such that many third world countries would destroy their indigenous habitat to grow the biomass to be converted to "Eco-friendly" fuel so that we in the EU can meet the Bio-fuel targets we have set ourselves.

The Friends of the Earth report indicates that the destruction of habitats will be a disaster for wildlife.

And all because we must be "greener" in the EU seemingly at the expense of the rest of the planet.

Sheer lunacy.

G

Whilst I do a bit of family duty as the NHS no longer has the funding I feel entitled to Steve W.

The post above mentions agricultural land, not open country side.

If it's open agricultural land why should a Bio fuel crop make much of a difference than the previous crops.

Surely agriculture refers to farming and crops.

My comment may sound a little flippant Steve W but there are to many preaching about saving the countryside and retaining park land and green spaces etc whilst they sit in concrete and aggregate urban garden waste land devoid of birds, bees and butterflies etc.

Steve, if green belt innitiatives to save the planet go side by side with urban gardens being concreted over more and more I think drivel sits on others plates not mine.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi euro, the item specifically said this is agricultural land which had been reserved for wildlife. If, as you say, people are concreteing over their gardens then this is another loss for wildlife and makes it even more important to protect what is left. Jim.

G

So one minute people are moaning that farms are closing and we are inporting to much food.

Then MILLIONS of acres were set aside some time ago for wildlife !

Something smells fishy with that one.

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
Most Bio road fuels will come from Wheat and sugar beet in this country. The UK is light years behind the rest of the EU and USA . The problem is not the lack of land more the lack of wheat and sugar. remember the USA feeds most of the third world, if this food is now used for fuel, instead of food someone will be going hungry.

David from Suffolk

G

Jim why would I come on here if I didn't like WILDLIFE ?

I just have doubts about people in Westminster setting aside agrcicultural land.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi David, I see that they have now developed GM modified cotton which has edible seeds (cotton seeds are poisonous to humans and are usually fed to animals). They estimate that this could feed 500million people worldwide. Jim.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts