Blue Badge Crackdown

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Measures intended to crack down on the abuse of the disabled drivers Blue Badge parking permit come into force on 1st January 2012.
The measures include the introduction of a new electronically printed badge which is 'as secure as a banknote' according to Norman Baker, government minister for transport. The new badge will replace the old handwritten one and is designed to be impossible to forge.

Genuine disabled drivers will be able to apply for the new badge online from Directgov or from their local authority and the new badge will cost up to £10.

Applicants may be asked to undergo an assessment to determine eligibility and there is to be a general tightening up of enforcement and eligibility in order to cut down on fraud which costs the UK an estimated £46 million per year.

The most common fraud is imo the use of a genuinely held blue badge by an ineligible family member, I regularly see fit young people bounding out of cars after using the blue badge in disabled parking spaces when no disabled person is present in the car.
It's obvious that they have borrowed the badge and have no right to use it.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I was shopping at Tesco Shirley South Birmingham just before Christmas. The number of disabled bays astounded me. Are we really a country of so many disabled people
smiley-undecided.gif
As a boy I remember those horrible pale blue 3 wheelers for the disabled .There weren't that many. The real joke was it was easier to park in a non disabled bay and closer to the door!
smiley-laughing.gif

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:
I was shopping at Tesco Shirley South Birmingham just before Christmas. The number of disabled bays astounded me. Are we really a country of so many disabled people
smiley-undecided.gif
As a boy I remember those horrible pale blue 3 wheelers for the disabled .There weren't that many. The real joke was it was easier to park in a non disabled bay and closer to the door!
smiley-laughing.gif
There are three different general levels of disability - those with the most serious disability will be on the higher Disability Living Allowance and can use the Motability Scheme which is the modern "equivalent" of the old blue 3-wheelers - those with moderate disability get the lower Disability Living Allowance - while those with less disability get no allowance but are entitled to the Blue Badge like the two DLA groups because their mobility is restricted in some significant way.
My experience, as a Blue Badge holder, is that supermarkets don't provide enough spaces as they're virtually always full - unlike Parent & Toddler spaces in which there's usually space.
I guess I'm going to be assessed by pen-pushers when my badge comes up for renewal, rather than being evidence-based support from my GP who has access to my full medical records - no wonder the fee's going up!!

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Simonson, aged 65, was spotted using a photocopy of a permit issued to Sir Paul McCartney’s ex-wife whilst on a shopping trip in his Smart car six months after he had left her employment. He was ordered to pay a total of £660 – including a £175 fine – by Enfield magistrates.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2080088/Outrage-fold-rise-disabled-parking-fees-crack-Blue-Badge-fraud.html#ixzz1i0hcO0jV
What amazed me was why Heather Mills had a blue badge , she appeared on dancing on ice and the American version of come dancing , a lot of able bodied people would have job doing that , and how many more are there out there

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
About time they cracked down on Blue Badge offenders and hopefully the fines will be in excess fo at least £500! Also should be higher fines for people who park in disabled bays although they do not have a BB.
If I am in a supermarket car park and the disabled bays are full, I use a parent one which is betetr than opening your door and damaging the car next to you because the supermarket car park bay is so narrow.
If I get a "ticket", I just bin it as it is only an invoice inviting me to pay and holds no legal authority unless issued by the council. Certainly is not a fine as only a magistrate can impose a fine.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Surfer said:
If I get a "ticket", I just bin it as it is only an invoice inviting me to pay and holds no legal authority unless issued by the council. Certainly is not a fine as only a magistrate can impose a fine.
Sadly that's also what many drivers would do if they got a "ticket" for parking in a Disabled space without a Blue Badge.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have a relative who has the Blue Badge to drive her special needs son around. He lives independantly with his own carer some 20 miles away. Her partnner also has a blue badge but still manages two rounds of golf per week but moans like hell if the disabled bays in the local pub are full! Yes we do have more 'disabled' per head of population than other EU countries just like Britons backs and necks are three times weaker than most other EU countries based on whiplash insurance claims in like for like accidents in similar cars. We are a 'want it to be paid by someone else society' which diminishes those who really need support. Sorry about the text size format problems somewhere.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
RogerL said:
Surfer said:
Sadly that's also what many drivers would do if they got a "ticket" for parking in a Disabled space without a Blue Badge.
Sadly there is no such thing as Disabled Parking Space on private land so people will abuse it.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Surfer said:
Sadly there is no such thing as Disabled Parking Space on private land so people will abuse it.
They have to exist to meet planning requirements for new developments.
Supermarkets could clamp offending vehicles in Disabled spaces if they wanted to, but it's not a criminal offence.

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
RogerL said:
In France the Police will nick people without Blue Badges parked in Supermarket disabled spaces & also check that the badge holder is in the car, the fine is about 240€.
I was done for parking in the USA many years ago & the fine was $15 but there was a tick box on the form for 'Parking in a disabled space' with a fine of $235, that sort of fine differential sure would work as a deterrent.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Deli Dave_ said:
I don't understand why the photo isnt on the side that you show,it would be easier to catch people using someone elses badge then.
Security against no-goods who would look at the phote, wait for the disabled person and then mug them knowing that, by definition, they're less mobile.

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Parksy said:
I regularly see fit young people bounding out of cars after using the blue badge in disabled parking spaces when no disabled person is present in the car.

Parksy, please be careful with generalisations. My wife recently became eligible for a Blue badge, and if you seen her walk from the carpark to the supermarket door you would be forgiven for thinking she had used someone else’s badge, but if you watched her climb a short flight of stairs or walk more than 100m you would understand why she is eligible for the badge.
I would add that i welcome any crackdown on fraudulent use of badges. Also i am surprised how the conditions of use of the badge vary from council to council. Why can’t it be the same nationwide!
Roger

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Whittakerr said:
Parksy said:
I regularly see fit young people bounding out of cars after using the blue badge in disabled parking spaces when no disabled person is present in the car.

Parksy, please be careful with generalisations. My wife recently became eligible for a Blue badge, and if you seen her walk from the carpark to the supermarket door you would be forgiven for thinking she had used someone else’s badge, but if you watched her climb a short flight of stairs or walk more than 100m you would understand why she is eligible for the badge.
I would add that i welcome any crackdown on fraudulent use of badges. Also i am surprised how the conditions of use of the badge vary from council to council. Why can’t it be the same nationwide!

Roger
I take your point and sympathise Roger, not every disability is immediately obvious. The ones that I'm referring to appear to be quite capable of lifting, carrying and running so perhaps it's time that either the criteria for elegilility was tightened in some cases or badge users were asked to show the photo on the badge to traffic wardens in order to prove that they are entitled to use it.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Taken from the DMA website :
The government has recently announced some changes to the ‘Blue Badge’ scheme. These really should not affect those who are using their badges correctly, as they are designed to enforce the correct use only. There are two main changes that members should be aware of:
  1. It will become a criminal offence in future to abuse your badge. i.e., it won’t be a small statuary fine, it will mean that the badge, in a worse case scenario, will be permanently confiscated and the fine could be as much as £1000. An example is somebody using your badge when you are not even in the vehicle, for instance, your son/daughter using your badge for his/her convenience. Remember that the badge has been issued to the named person and nobody else. If, as in the above example, you only travel in that vehicle occasionally, then the badge should be kept by you, not left in the vehicle. If left there it could be a temptation that could result in you losing, permanently, your badge.
  2. Any person responsible for policing a car park will be able to ask to examine your badge, not just a serving police officer. It is therefore going to be much simpler for offences to be detected.

As an organisation we believe that these changes are long overdue. They may result in a little inconvenience for our members, but should make it a lot less worth it for cheats to use spaces set aside for those that actually need them.

The changes are set out in a Department of Transport leaflet which can be obtained by telephone 020 7944 2914 or by e-mail blue.badge@dft.gov.uk This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it if residing in England. Wales 029 2082 6501 blue.badge@wales.gov.uk This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it Scotland 0131 244 0869/0861. Belfast 02890 540434.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Deli Dave_ said:
I don't understand why the photo isnt on the side that you show,it would be easier to catch people using someone elses badge then.
That would probably make no difference and create more problems. Although a BB holder I certainly would not agree to powers to be given to these cowboys to fine any one as they will no doubt abuse it and look for any excuse to issue a ticket . We have two vehicles and on occasions I forget to transfer across the BB and I guess I am not the only one.
If they gave these cowboys so form of legitimatcy, it would mean hat our tresspass laws will have to be changed to accommodate any legislation regarding parking and this may open a can of worms unless it was only applied to disabled bays on private land. I know Scotland have something similar to this in place, but apparently clamping is banned.
Supermarket car bays are so narrow that at times it is nearly impossible to get out of your car unless you park on the white line. Imagine getting a legitimate ticket for doing this. If this does happen then supermarket car bays will need to comply with legislation regarding the size of the car space.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2080775/Strolling-bank-taxpayer-funded-home-disabled-father-claimed-nearly-300-000-benefits-Britain-AND-Denmark.html
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
click on the link above to read a story of a person who done very well claiming to be disabled , he built up a nice little nest egg , and how many more are there out there

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
…….as I understand it the various Road Traffic Acts apply to all "roads".

There is confusion about what is a "road" and I would be careful not to assume that supermarket car parks are exempt from these rules.
I always assume that the law still applies!

Quote………….

It is important to note that references to ‘road’ therefore generally include footpaths, bridleways and cycle tracks, and many roadways and driveways on private land (including many car parks). In most cases, the law will apply to them and there may be additional rules for particular paths or ways. Some serious driving offences, including drink-driving offences, also apply to all public places, for example public car parks.

Source of the above text.......

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069869

Make your own mind up....
smiley-smile.gif

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
joeby said:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2080775/Strolling-bank-taxpayer-funded-home-disabled-father-claimed-nearly-300-000-benefits-Britain-AND-Denmark.html
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
click on the link above to read a story of a person who done very well claiming to be disabled , he built up a nice little nest egg , and how many more are there out there
Don't these people have to be medically examined before they get any benefits? It seems too easy to me and says a lot about the Civil Service systems of check and supervision

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Parksy said:
The ones that I'm referring to appear to be quite capable of lifting, carrying and running so perhaps it's time that either the criteria for elegilility was tightened in some cases or badge users were asked to show the photo on the badge to traffic wardens in order to prove that they are entitled to use it.
Parksy - the criteria are quite tight enough thank you! But I do suspect that some have made false statements about their lack of mobility - badge holders have always been required to show the badge details, including the photo, to police officers, CPSOs, traffic wardens and the current Civil Enforcement Officers when requested, but I've never been asked.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My wife is a wheel chair user and BB holder, As she uses a handbag she can easily carry the cards with her and she only gets them out when we are about to park. I'm not being sexist when I say that us gentlemen often dont have anywhere to easily keep or carry these cards beacuase they are bigger than most pockets.

But there are other legitimate scenarios that might explain some of the events that Parksy has comment on.
When visiting some shops or town centres, the BB spaces are full, so we have to temporarily stop to get the chair out and move the car to a normal parking space. However if a BB space becomes free, then I will move the car to the space.
Equally when out shopping I sometimes return to take purchased items to the car whails my wife is still looking around the shops.
Or in larger towns, we may start at one end of the town, but rather than push the chair all the way back, I will often walk back to collect the car to take it to the other end of teh town where my wife is.
All these (and ther must be others) givie the impression to an onlooker that the space is being used by an able bodied person.

I have never been challenged yet, but I have often wondered what would hapen. - how do you prove the BB holder is still in te vicinity, fortuneately my wife usually carries her moble phone so some method of remote contact could be established.

then

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
…….as I understand it the various Road Traffic Acts apply to all "roads".

There is confusion about what is a "road" and I would be careful not to assume that supermarket car parks are exempt from these rules.
I always assume that the law still applies!

Quote………….

It is important to note that references to ‘road’ therefore generally include footpaths, bridleways and cycle tracks, and many roadways and driveways on private land (including many car parks). In most cases, the law will apply to them and there may be additional rules for particular paths or ways. Some serious driving offences, including drink-driving offences, also apply to all public places, for example public car parks.

Source of the above text.......

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069869

Make your own mind up....
smiley-smile.gif

The offence on private land is trespass as there are NO parking regulations for private land. However by the same token if you drive a motor vehicle under the influence on a supermarket car park apparently you can get done, but if it is on land with nio public access you cannot gte done.
Unless it is a council car park if you get a so called "ticket" on a retail car park which is actually an invoice and chose to ignore it, nothing generally happens. If you did end up in court by some extremely remote chance, the PPC is going to look very foolish asking for £60 becuase you parked incorrectly on private land. Even if they did try the trepass route they would be in trouble as the original invoice was for contravening some made up parking regulation. The landlord has to demonstrate top the court that they suffered £60 damages becasue you park there for longer than 2 hours. That is hardly likely to happen.
Just ignore any "ticket" marked "Parking Charge Notice" as it is an unenforceable invoice as they have to prove who was driving and you are under no obligation to supply this information.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts