Bourton on the Water - Best Route?

May 29, 2009
Visit site
Hi gang,

We're booked in to Cotswold Camping, Folly Farm near Bourton in August and in my pre-break getting exited stage, I'm looking at routes from Wolverhampton.
Google is suggesting M5 south and off at J10 and through Cheltenham town centre.
Not knowing Cheltenham and looking at the satellite, it looks a little easier keeping on the M5 'til 11A and coming up the A436 from there avoiding Cheltenham completely.

Is it worth the few extra miles to avoid the town, or any other suggestions, obviously avoiding hills / narrow sections, from the West Midlands, much appreciated.

Cheers, MM

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I rather like travelling down the Fosse which I pickup by taking the Stow, Cirencester signs at the Stratford on Avon end of the Warwick by pass. Stow and Moreton are not a problem unless the horse fair is on but that's in May/ June I think.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You could leave M5 at junction 9 for Tewkesbury and Evesham, travel towards Evesham and at first large roundabout follow signs to Stow and then to Bourton that way.if you come off at 11a,you will have a steep hill to climb at Birdlip,although it is 2 lanes for the uphill section it is notorious for delays caused by lorry breakdowns.I would avoid Cheltenham town centre like the plague,it can be a nightmare on the one way system unless you know your way around.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
At Broadway you have Fish Hill, but it is not a big issue. The route Rita has suggested is probably rthe best. Off at junction 6, then through to Evesham, over Fish Hill into Moreton in Marsh, turn right at roundabout carry on past Stow to Bourton on Water.
However once you have passed Fish Hill about 2 - 3 miles you could branch off to the right onto A424 which then misses Moreton in Marsh, but when you start getting near Stow the road twists a bit and is narrow in some places. At Stow you then have the issue of the junction plus traffic lights and it can take ages to get across. My preference is through Moreton.
Towing a caravan through Cheltenham is no joke and not recommended. It is bad enough driving solo with all the lane changing etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts