Brake lights whilst stationary

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I've had a 40 tonner rear end me at the end of a traffic jam. Ever since then I make sure to switch on the hazard warning lights whenever a see a need to slow down suddenly.
That wouldn't be a good experience Lutz.
The hazard lights travel back to the end of the queue of traffic if everybody uses theirs.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The only time i use my Hazard warning lights if there slow traffic in the distance and i give warning so no one goes into the back of me ( i had it done once when it was raining heavy on the motorway i could see the lights flashing slow down in the distance i slow down but the person behind me said he didn"t see me he hit my towbar ,(Hardy any damage to my car but his car was dented in) .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Prof. I’m beginning to understand how the Germans made this car . Fact is brake lights stay on. A pet hate of yours🤪👍🤪
Indeed it is, but I suspect my very much earlier comments predated the mass adoption of this technology, and was brought very much to my attention when I was in a queue waiting to collect my children from a St. John's session and I was behind a lady driver in a large 4x4 who was hanging out of the window chatting to another parent, engine running, and foot on brake. The high level brake light was dazzling me.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Looked at positively now that VAG and others have more “ action” on the rear disks and complexity it can only do nothing but good for motor trade finances which have taken a hit since diesel gate 😂

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
That wouldn't be a good experience Lutz.
The hazard lights travel back to the end of the queue of traffic if everybody uses theirs.

That's right. It was one of the most frightening moments in my life. I could see him coming from behind and knew right away that he wasn't going to make it, but I just sat there in the car totally paralysed. Thoughts flashed through my brain whether it would be better to jump out of the car quickly, but it all happened so fast. He pushed me under the trailer of the truck in front. Fortunately the passenger compartment of the car stood up to the shunt reasonably well, the roof only had a slight kink in it, but the bonnet and the boot lid were bent at right angles.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That's right. It was one of the most frightening moments in my life. I could see him coming from behind and knew right away that he wasn't going to make it, but I just sat there in the car totally paralysed. Thoughts flashed through my brain whether it would be better to jump out of the car quickly, but it all happened so fast. He pushed me under the trailer of the truck in front. Fortunately the passenger compartment of the car stood up to the shunt reasonably well, the roof only had a slight kink in it, but the bonnet and the boot lid were bent at right angles.
That must have been a terrible experience. Thankfully modern motor engineering has improved a lot and that clearly helped.
When I did a police driving course I was advised that if possible as your coming to a halt behind a traffic stream try and keep at least one HGV length behind the vehicle in front until you are confident that following vehicles have seen you and stopped/slowed.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I use my hazard lights to warn following traffic that the traffic flow has come to an unexpected stop, in a hazardous spot. or perhaps your vehicle is broken down and you need to warn following traffic of the potential hazard. They should only be put on when statiionary apart from motorway or unrestricted dual carriageways..Rule 116. If I’m coming up to cars on a motorway where they have stopped or really slowed down I will turn mine on as my speed comes down and I’m approaching the traffic stream. Its all about making sure other motorists behind are aware if changed conditions which may not be just normal ebb and flow.
I think that is the correct thing to do as on occasions the driver behind you may not be observing the road in front of you.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That must have been a terrible experience. Thankfully modern motor engineering has improved a lot and that clearly helped.
When I did a police driving course I was advised that if possible as your coming to a halt behind a traffic stream try and keep at least one HGV length behind the vehicle in front until you are confident that following vehicles have seen you and stopped/slowed.
I hadn't realised that was an accepted and taught method, but its something I have instinctively done, it just seemed sensible.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It's also a good idea to hold the car on the footbrake only until the vehicle behind you stops - that way you can release the footbrake at the point of impact and reduce the forces involved

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
And then of course your brake lights stay on! MAybe leave a bigger gap if brake lights dazzle you-not always easy of course and good advice-I've been turning right before now in to our village-did a shoulder check to see some clown overtaking a line of traffice about to harpoon me-knowing your escape routes-ie gap in front or moving off fast can help-I did that and then turned round at the next junction-think she realised what she'd done when she arrived and passed me as I was still quite clearly indicating-hope so anyway as it was v dangerous.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
And then of course your brake lights stay on! MAybe leave a bigger gap if brake lights dazzle you-not always easy of course and good advice-I've been turning right before now in to our village-did a shoulder check to see some clown overtaking a line of traffice about to harpoon me-knowing your escape routes-ie gap in front or moving off fast can help-I did that and then turned round at the next junction-think she realised what she'd done when she arrived and passed me as I was still quite clearly indicating-hope so anyway as it was v dangerous.

It's ok for your brake lights to stay on UNTIL the vehicle behind has stopped - that's the point at which the parking brake should be applied.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I hadn't realised that was an accepted and taught method, but its something I have instinctively done, it just seemed sensible.
There’s the Police Driving Manual supplemented by the experience of road traffic officers who attend RTAs. I also did a police led motorcycle training course and to this day remember this piece of advice “ if you think you can overtake........ don’t”

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I keep an eye on my mirror to see if the car behind is stopping and flash my brake lights if he's looking like he/she isn't-any little helps but yes once stopped release the brake-hard work in an auto as you need to move the lever out of drive-not a mad auto fan tbh!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I keep an eye on my mirror to see if the car behind is stopping and flash my brake lights if he's looking like he/she isn't-any little helps but yes once stopped release the brake-hard work in an auto as you need to move the lever out of drive-not a mad auto fan tbh!
If it seems we are going to be stopped for awhile, put the car into neutral. Also I keep on the brake lights until there are several cars behind us as this woudl be very quick on most roads. You may get some HGV driver that is half asleep at the wheel and does not notice the stopped traffic in front. Unfortunately there have bene several of thsi type of accident in the past 2 - 3 years resulting in loss of life. I mention HGV although it can happen with a car or van driver, but the result may not be as devastating.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Oh please - what's difficult about moving the gear lever from Drive to Neutral, it's less effort than a manual as no clutch to dip/release!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I can apply the electric handbrake on my car with the gear lever still in Drive. In fact I often do, as it stops the engine stop/start from shutting the engine off automatically so I can move off faster again when the opportunity arises. I only have to hit the accelerator pedal to release the electric handbrake. (I know I could manually turn off the stop/start function, but that achieves the same result).

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Yes thinking about it I do that too; just haven't driven it since lockdown-tucked up in the garage on a maintenance charger. Driving the manuals atm!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It's also a good idea to hold the car on the footbrake only until the vehicle behind you stops - that way you can release the footbrake at the point of impact and reduce the forces involved
Roger, my Touareg isn’t like that. You take your foot off the brake pedal, brakes remain locked until the throttle is touched.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Yes. I take the view I paid for the latest technology and so use it. But as I started this thread it is not always the best of things?

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Roger, my Touareg isn’t like that. You take your foot off the brake pedal, brakes remain locked until the throttle is touched.

Hmmm, well there are variations according to age. Touching the throttle does not release auto-hold brakes unless the vehicle is automatic and it is given enough wellie to move. On a manual you have to start releasing the clutch and getting drive before the brakes are released, whether hydraulically held or with the automatic parking brake on.

On BlueMotion (i.e. stop/start) usually putting your foot on the clutch will restart the engine, but on the latest version moving the steering wheel without touching any pedal will also initiate a restart.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hmmm, well there are variations according to age. Touching the throttle does not release auto-hold brakes unless the vehicle is automatic and it is given enough wellie to move. On a manual you have to start releasing the clutch and getting drive before the brakes are released, whether hydraulically held or with the automatic parking brake on.

On BlueMotion (i.e. stop/start) usually putting your foot on the clutch will restart the engine, but on the latest version moving the steering wheel without touching any pedal will also initiate a restart.
Just a gentle touch on the throttle releases the brakes.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just a gentle touch on the throttle releases the brakes.
Different manufacturers or even just different models might have slightly different operational modes, so please don't fall out about a this issue.

My own Passat just like Dusty's only requires a brief tap of the throttle to release it, But I'm quite happy to accept that other vehicles may need other actions to release their's

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
As a matter of interest , just to confuse this old dog more, there’s nothing in the handbook explaining the brake lights stay on. I hope it hasn’t got a hidden MCAS🤪🤪🤪🤪

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts