Brake lights whilst stationary

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I took my test in 1965, At that time lots of talk was about using the gears to slow down. As some have mentioned above. Even back then, my instructor said that’s nonsense. New brakes are far cheaper than a new gearbox.

I have also done a police driving course, very interesting but only theory. The tutor told us the preferred police method for taking a corner. Seemed very complex. I won’t try to repeat it as I am not sure if I remember fully. But some of us asked him if that’s what he did. “Only if I am being examined“ he confessed.

I do agree that brake lights should not be left on when stationary in traffic. But my car does not lend itself to doing that for different reasons than mentioned above. It’s an auto, with an electric brake with auto release but not auto hold. On stopping, putting the handbrake on involves leaning forward as the switch is in a daft place. Then the stop start function stops working as soon as the foot is removed from the brake. This can be sorted by putting it into park first. So it’s just something I do If it seems I will be stopped for a while.

I mentioned this to the dealers who said they just leave their foot on the brake!

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts