Brake lights whilst stationary

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have just checked the auto hold and brake lights on my own Passat with DSG auto. With auto hold engaged and coming to a stop by applying the foot brake, obviously the brake lights illuminate. Having stopped and taken my foot off the brake pedal, the car is held by the auto hold, but the brake lights turn off. (thankfully)

Obviously I can only comment regarding my own car, but it seems probable that the same protocol would apply to all VW with the "Auto Hold" feature.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Not sure what year yours is Prof but as Lutz says this something the German makers have done deliberately .The Touareg brake lights stay on when in auto hold mode and foot is off the brake pedal. Also unless the seat belt is correctly fastened the auto hold is inoperative. As I said previously a lot of hidden techie things yet to be discovered 😜😜

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
I thought that the driver applying the hazard lights was the correct procedure. 😀

But I agree with Dusty that it’s still annoying when in traffic to sit behind a row of high intensity brake lights, especially when wet.
By coincidence police cars which have been alongside at lights all had their brake lights on

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
My wife has been sitting waiting for space to turn right so had to cross the other lane, twice she has had some idiot running into the back of her car, when insurance claims were made on both occasions the insurance questionnaire asked for confirmation that the rear brake lights were illuminated, she confirmed they were but I wonder what the insurance company would have said had she said that brake lights were not on. If your behind someone in a queue then if you get near enough you will in lots of cases block the glare from brake lights unless they are the high sort, I agree they are glaring but you just need to look away.

BP

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
That imo is a very unfair question to ask. How would she know? I only found out on a dark night in a road works jam. The brake light glare was very apparent in the mirrors. There’s nothing in the Highway Code that says brake lights must be illuminated when stationary. If I was asked - Don’t know!

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
When the question is worded as “can you confirm you were stationary and your brake lights were on” I think I’d sooner say yes because I’d prefer not to muddy the water and risk being part at fault, with modern cars flagging warning lights on the dash if a bulb isn’t working you could confidently say they must have been illuminated or I’d have had a warning light, I understand what people mean about the glare but it’s often for a short time and if it’s a long delay lots of people put it in to neutral and apply handbrake, the ones with foot on the pedal I’d put at the minority, but then again the majority of my driving is daytime so I could be wrong, there are lots of worse bad driving habits, my biggest bug is people failing to indicate, now that’s a lot more common I think. Doesn’t matter how good your own driving is there’s plenty of idiots who behave like they’ve never passed a test.

BP

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When the question is worded as “can you confirm you were stationary and your brake lights were on” I think I’d sooner say yes because I’d prefer not to muddy the water and risk being part at fault, with modern cars flagging warning lights on the dash if a bulb isn’t working you could confidently say they must have been illuminated or I’d have had a warning light, I understand what people mean about the glare but it’s often for a short time and if it’s a long delay lots of people put it in to neutral and apply handbrake, the ones with foot on the pedal I’d put at the minority, but then again the majority of my driving is daytime so I could be wrong, there are lots of worse bad driving habits, my biggest bug is people failing to indicate, now that’s a lot more common I think. Doesn’t matter how good your own driving is there’s plenty of idiots who behave like they’ve never passed a test.

BP
Still doing quite a bit of nighttime town driving brakes lights illuminated are the majority and I don’t notice them going off as handbrakes are applied.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Beehpee
who asked the question ?Your Insurers or the third party? Sometimes questions asked are a deliberate way to obtain contributory negligence and reduce the amount of your claim!

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Our insurance company I’m pretty sure, I did wonder at the time if the other persons insurance was trying it on, both accidents went against the other drivers insurance.
on the subject of bumps, I had someone run into the back of me, at a roundabout as I pulled away so the guy behind was going slow so very little damage, we exchanged details, his insurer was admiral and when I continued driving I got a call from his insurer within 10 minutes and they accepted the fault there and then, I was amazed, one thing it did teach me though, I’d never told my insurer I had a tow bar fitted, when I mentioned to my insurer I thought it would be good if the towbar was replaced, there was a short silence and I was asked if I had ever told my insurer I’d had it fitted, I very quickly said of course I had, he said no problem it’s not showing so he put it on my policy there and then, now if the bump had been my fault there’s a good chance there would have been a lot more made of them not knowing, I would think there’s lots of people who don’t declare the towbar to their insurer as they don’t realise it’s classed as a modification.

Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's a bit of a loaded question!

The Highway code tells us when we are stationary for example at a junction, we should apply the hand brake. That does not display the brake lights. Following traffic should be aware and keep a safe distance, so as to avoid a collision with vehicles that might be stationary, and perhaps waiting for a safe gap in the traffic to complete a junction.

To some, the appearance of a brake light might be taken to mean the vehicle is slowing down and not necessarily stationary.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The "Highway Code " is just that that and not the law, you do not have to put a handbrake on, I learned to slow down using the gears on the Car/ motorbike, not the brakes, as i believe is normal now,.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The "Highway Code " is just that that and not the law, you do not have to put a handbrake on, I learned to slow down using the gears on the Car/ motorbike, not the brakes, as i believe is normal now,.
Even more reason to assume the lack of a brake light means a vehicle could be slowing or stationary.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The Highway code tells us when we are stationary for example at a junction, we should apply the hand brake. That does not display the brake lights.

Whilst that was generally true* with cable-operated parking brakes, many modern cars have electronic parking brakes often incorporating "autohold" and these vary whether the brake lights are on or not.

* some vehicles did show brake lights with the handbrake applied, eg the Austin J4 van - via a switch on the handbrake.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
On two police driving courses ( not speed awareness) it was pointed out that much of the Highway Code is embodied one way or another in legislation. Where it is not non adherence could count against you if it came to a court case.

Braking with brakes was taught as was changing up a gear on overtaking. But that assumes the overtaking driver has left sufficient distance behind the slower vehicle to accelerate in the lower gear and change up as they come to pass the slower vehicle. Most driver sit too close behind the slower vehicle to do this technique. Or if you leave space someone fills it. So much easier if your car is adorned with blue lights and high viz emblems. 😀

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That is the correct way to drive as indicates you are observing the road ahead and taking into account all changes in your surrounds. It is the responsibility of the driver behind you to be maintaining a safe distance and also to be observant.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Technology and Highway Code appear to have parted company. I suspect EU regs have something to do with German car makers approach to safety .
Back in 2013 my copy of the HC says:-

“In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.
Law RVLR reg 27”.
Millions of drivers totally ignore this code but maybe today it is not enforceable .

On the assumption all vehicles sold in the U.K. are designed to the very strict vehicle design and construction regulations I have to assume VW have got it right and our dazzling prejudices are no longer valid😢😢

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That is the correct way to drive as indicates you are observing the road ahead and taking into account all changes in your surrounds. It is the responsibility of the driver behind you to be maintaining a safe distance and also to be observant.
My last police driving course was in the mid 1980s and slowing down on the brakes was taught back then. But in town I was continually told to drop down a gear or two as controlling speed is easier by use of the throttle. Similarly on the open road. Where I would normally be in 5th the instructor would be in 4th. But always proper braking was done on the brakes not gears.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
My last police driving course was in the mid 1980s and slowing down on the brakes was taught back then. But in town I was continually told to drop down a gear or two as controlling speed is easier by use of the throttle. Similarly on the open road. Where I would normally be in 5th the instructor would be in 4th. But always proper braking was done on the brakes not gears.

Emissions requirements have changed things a lot since the mid 1980's. In order to reduce emissions it is nowadays generally recommended to change up a gear as soon as possible.
Technical changes that were previously unheard of have also appeared lately. I mean things like white daylight running lights that turn into amber indicator lights when making a turning or sequential indicators that VW/Audi and perhaps other manufacturers, too, are now fitting.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Emissions requirements have changed things a lot since the mid 1980's. In order to reduce emissions it is nowadays generally recommended to change up a gear as soon as possible.
Technical changes that were previously unheard of have also appeared lately. I mean things like white daylight running lights that turn into amber indicator lights when making a turning or sequential indicators that VW/Audi and perhaps other manufacturers, too, are now fitting.

I guess police driving isn't too concerned with emissions, more control of the vehicle and safety.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Technology and Highway Code appear to have parted company. I suspect EU regs have something to do with German car makers approach to safety .
Back in 2013 my copy of the HC says:-

“In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.
Law RVLR reg 27”.
Millions of drivers totally ignore this code but maybe today it is not enforceable .

On the assumption all vehicles sold in the U.K. are designed to the very strict vehicle design and construction regulations I have to assume VW have got it right and our dazzling prejudices are no longer valid😢😢
That is what I have done for years. And with the Auto Hold system its simple.

However a couple of years ago, someone rear ended me (not seriously but it cost them about £1800 in repairs to my car and my excess costs).

Approaching an roundabout from a a two lane dual carriage way, with the intention to take the first exit so I was in the near side lane. There were several vehicles stationary queuing in both lanes waiting to enter the island so I slowed and stopped with a couple of vehicles ahead of me.

Another vehicle slowed and stopped behind me. We all moved forward when space allowed. As usual I was using the Auto Hold. When I was at the head of the queue I had to stop to allow traffic on the island to pass, and just as I took my foot off the brake peddle and still stationary , the vehicle behind ran into me!

The driver claimed that when my brake lights went out he assumed I was pulling away, and so started to accelerate.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts