British Gas acting as a bank on my behalf

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My fixed low rate tariff ends at the end of April so I thought I would claim my energy credit which has built up to £584.40, in part due to HMG's largesse, but even without that money our £80 per month would have still seen us in credit. Normally you can obtain a refund by the online account, but not any longer. The BG website tells you that above £75 they should offer a credit refund, but that's not available to me as their estimates. show by 23 December we might be in debit by around £120. But since the fixed rate contract ends in April we plan to be billed monthly as one reason that a smart meter has been fitted. Also we may move to another supplier. So on the chat line the agent explained that for reasons of "safety" I would have to ring a separate department to discuss the refund. And to add to the sorry tale they wanted an increase in the £80 direct debit too. I wasn't very impressed so he must have felt I had launched full HIMARS salvo on him, and he offered to raise a complaint on my behalf.

Below is the guff that is offered as the reason for retaining my credit. We have only just started to come out of winter and by any norms 23 December 23 isn't really into the next winter, unless you are a gardener or astronomer.

I guess that when I ring the General Enquiries number I will be presented with the on going Covid excuses, and that there's an unexpected number of calls. Well the latter could be contained if online refunds were reinstated.

We can't offer you a credit refund
Paying the same amount every month could mean that during the summer months you might pay more for energy and not use it, and during the winter months need more energy than what you're paying for.

We base your payment amount with the seasons in mind, so we can forecast your plan across the year. Right now, you're in credit by £584.40 but you'll need that to put towards the cold winter days when they arrive.

Because of this, we aren't able to offer you a refund today.*

* Your monthly payments are forecast based on your current usage. We'll review the forecast on the 23rd December 2023

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We moved away from BGAS as soon as we coudl and moved to Octopus. Excellent service although we have only been with them 2 months.

Despite having a final bill after leaving BGAS and paying the over due amount, last week I cancelled the DD and got a snotty email from BGAS regarding the penalties of cancelling the DD! I ignore it.

Reactions: Banus
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
+1 Buckman.
We've been with Octopus for about four years and concur with your findings. Before that we were with Ovo who were also good.
Our issue is that we have a gas-fired Aga which provides all our cooking and all our hot water (we have a separate condensing boiler for heating when needed.) As a consequence our usage varies relatively little over the year which does not fit their business model. BUT you can talk to both Ovo and Octopus and they will agree how you handle your bills provided you agree to clear any debit that occurs immediately. No wonder they are 3rd and 4th in popularity.
If Octopus are good enough for M&S they are good enough for me!

Reactions: Banus and Buckman
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
British Gas, Scottish Power and OVO have been identified as the worst companies for enforced prepayment meter installations, the three of them making up 70% of all enforced installations.

With customer service this bad they can expect to lose a lot of customers when better deals become available.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Another for Octopus. We smoothly transferred from the Coop when they decided that they no longer wanted to do that business. But the same customer care. We must have been with them for about 15 years now.

When there is a need to speak to someone, they are polite and knowledgeable.

I suggests the OC stays thankful for the long term contract that he has enjoyed, and transfers at the first possible opportunity. (just jealous 🤓).

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My issue with BG is that they constantly estimate usage that is far more than we ever use. For example in 2022 we used £733 for gas and electric, yet their model assumed £1502 over twice our usage. The model is based on a generic four bed house and takes no notice of past usage records. I have now got £428 refunded.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
British Gas, Scottish Power and OVO have been identified as the worst companies for enforced prepayment meter installations, the three of them making up 70% of all enforced installations.

With customer service this bad they can expect to lose a lot of customers when better deals become available.

Ours is not a pre payment meter. I will decide what to do when our low tariff ends at the end of April. since having the smart meter I can monitor usage via the app or website. Will undoubtedly move to SVR but price per unit and daily charge will influence the decision on which supplier to choose.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Ours is not a pre payment meter. I will decide what to do when our low tariff ends at the end of April. since having the smart meter I can monitor usage via the app or website. Will undoubtedly move to SVR but price per unit and daily charge will influence the decision on which supplier to choose.

What surprised me about Octopus was how quickly and smoothly the transfer from BGAS to Octopus went. Transferring to BGAS from another supplier took nearly 6 months despite having a Smart meter. Took just over a week with Octopus and all done and dusted.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
What surprised me about Octopus was how quickly and smoothly the transfer from BGAS to Octopus went. Transferring to BGAS from another supplier took nearly 6 months despite having a Smart meter. Took just over a week with Octopus and all done and dusted.
We transferred to Octopus when Avro went bust - we lost our Avro fixed deal but the transfer was very smooth - the Octopus website allows me to vary the direct debit myself, within limits, and I was able to negotiate an even lower direct debit by email where I gave them detailed figures why I felt justified.

From April, the Octopus standing charges are lower than the Ofgem cap so marginally cheaper than other suppliers sticking to the cap

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
In the present times, I very much doubt that shopping around for the cheapest deal will save very much money. Therefore for me good service s paramount I get that from Octopus. But clearly, other suppliers may be as good.

Many topics on this forum have covered poor service. For a possible small saving, It is just not worth the angst.

John

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Most of the financial "experts" (Martin Lewis etc) reckon currently its not worth switching energy suppliers, so you might just as well stick with BG.
My fixed rate ended last October, I am still with the same supplier because no-one was/is offering anything approaching a reasonable fixed rate at present. Better tge devil you know?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Another one for Octopus Energy we are very happy with there service
but from April per month direct debit it will be £250 but we had expect it

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Most of the financial "experts" (Martin Lewis etc) reckon currently its not worth switching energy suppliers, so you might just as well stick with BG.
My fixed rate ended last October, I am still with the same supplier because no-one was/is offering anything approaching a reasonable fixed rate at present. Better tge devil you know?
Martin Lewis's advice is that there are no meaningfully cheaper deals around - whether it's worth changing from a company with a generally poor customer service record to one with a good customer service record is up to the individual - from what I've heard I wouldn't stay with British Gas for one minute longer than necessary.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I had the same problem with Scottish Power. Over £300 in credit;no way to get it back; no way to reduce direct debit without paying several hundred of pounds up front. Same reasoning.

Just over two weeks ago we switched to Octopus. Seems to have gone okay except I they haven't taken any money yet. The direct debit is less than SP and according to Octopus my recommended monthly payments based on usage is £0.

Early days yet. Main reason for switching was appalling customer service from SP.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We were switched to Octopus from Avro,so on variable at home,our business is on a fix with Octopus until August, I find that they are very accurate with billing, as long as you submit your own meter readings when asked.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Having read this topic it’s made me think about my account with EON, I’m about £250 in credit and they’ve told me my new direct debit will be £119 from May onwards, I’m happy for the time being as still using a decent amount of energy as weather is still cold enough to use a decent amount, we have a smart meter so I can check it as often anytime I want, should EON end up keeping too much of my cash that’s not being used I shall ask for it to be returned and should they refuse I will simply cancel my direct debit, if I’ve got an excess of my funds in my account I don’t see how they could cancel my account if I’ve got more than enough of my money, with my direct debit cancelled they won’t get any more until it’s in a reasonable amount of money either over paid or under paid, I think it’s Clive who has a large amount of his money in their bank accounts why do you not just cancel your DD.

BP

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Having read this topic it’s made me think about my account with EON, I’m about £250 in credit and they’ve told me my new direct debit will be £119 from May onwards, I’m happy for the time being as still using a decent amount of energy as weather is still cold enough to use a decent amount, we have a smart meter so I can check it as often anytime I want, should EON end up keeping too much of my cash that’s not being used I shall ask for it to be returned and should they refuse I will simply cancel my direct debit, if I’ve got an excess of my funds in my account I don’t see how they could cancel my account if I’ve got more than enough of my money, with my direct debit cancelled they won’t get any more until it’s in a reasonable amount of money either over paid or under paid, I think it’s Clive who has a large amount of his money in their bank accounts why do you not just cancel your DD.

BP
I have now had a refund of £428 agreed and £80 pm direct debit reduced which is fine as its close to the end of the fixed rate contract so by 1 May 2023 I’ve a relatively modest carry over onto SVR and I can then stay with a regular direct debit if required. Alternatively I could just pay what the smart meter submits each month.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar argument with anglia water, at the end of the year of paying a direct debit I was in credit about £200, I was told my DD was going to increase by 11% even though I’d overpaid for the year , I asked why it’s going up by 11% they said it’s gone up for 4%, so using their calculations I would still be over paid, I was told that there was nothing I could do other than accept the increase, she actually said “there’s nothing she could do and nothing I could do, I said actually I can do something I shall simply cancel my DD and from now send me a bill every time it’s due, I now make them wait every time they send me a bill I wait until I get a red reminder, they then send me a threatening letter asking for payment, it might not bother them too much but they ask me if I’d like to pay by DD and I get great pleasure telling them no chance and why, I’ve now been making them until I choose to pay for about 7 years, nothing they can do.

BP

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
As of last month this statement was on a Which type site. Seems reasonable to me.

“If you see that you're in credit, then you can claim it back at any time. Energy regulator Ofgem has put rules in place forcing suppliers to reimburse you if you ask, unless there is a good reason not to do so”.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I am in credit with Octopus by £357, I have been paying a direct debit of £300 for the last 2 months and my power usage has been , in December £475, Jan,£450 Feb £360, and as of today £350, and it will keep dropping, if the weather is favourable. Now Octopus have stated that as HMG subsidy has ended, I should put my DD upto £391, They automatically changed it, and I have just changed it back. They are NOT squeaky clean either.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I am in credit with Octopus by £357, I have been paying a direct debit of £300 for the last 2 months and my power usage has been , in December £475, Jan,£450 Feb £360, and as of today £350, and it will keep dropping, if the weather is favourable. Now Octopus have stated that as HMG subsidy has ended, I should put my DD upto £391, They automatically changed it, and I have just changed it back. They are NOT squeaky clean either.
If the direct debit has been correct for the last 6 months, taking into account the government's £66/67 per month subsidy, then it should need to go up now by £67.

The Octopus home page has a useful feature "View my balance forecast" which will show the debit/credit for each of the next 12 months - it assumes future energy usage the same as the last 12 months and uses their prices plus projections for future quarters.

We were transfered to Octopus from Avro at the end of September 2021 so I manage our account to ensure a zero balance at the end of each September.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As of last month this statement was on a Which type site. Seems reasonable to me.

“If you see that you're in credit, then you can claim it back at any time. Energy regulator Ofgem has put rules in place forcing suppliers to reimburse you if you ask, unless there is a good reason not to do so”.
BGs own website says if credit exceeds £75 you will be contacted to discuss your options for refund or retain the credit. Quite annoying that they don’t abide by their own statements.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
If the direct debit has been correct for the last 6 months, taking into account the government's £66/67 per month subsidy, then it should need to go up now by £67.

The Octopus home page has a useful feature "View my balance forecast" which will show the debit/credit for each of the next 12 months - it assumes future energy usage the same as the last 12 months and uses their prices plus projections for future quarters.

We were transfered to Octopus from Avro at the end of September 2021 so I manage our account to ensure a zero balance at the end of each September.
Octopus are not ,in my case, taking into consideration the previous year where I ended up with in November of £1160 in Credit with Bulb, I reclaimed £500 and over the last 6 months have whittled down the credit. I fully wish to have enough credit to be able to keep my DD payments at about £300 all year, but also if power costs are variable then so should DD payments.
Swings and Roundabouts, which in Milton Keynes we know all about

Reactions: Bluetonic
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I now make them wait every time they send me a bill I wait until I get a red reminder, they then send me a threatening letter asking for payment, it might not bother them too much but they ask me if I’d like to pay by DD and I get great pleasure telling them no chance and why, I’ve now been making them until I choose to pay for about 7 years, nothing they can do.
BP
However aren't you unfairly penalised by not paying by DD as some suppliers offer a 5% discount for paying by DD?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts