Buccaneer Commodore (2020) and Kia Sorento (2022) Noseweight Problems.

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Another issue is the chances of any police officer having access to information regarding nose weight of any vehicle is highly unlikely as that data is difficult to obtain. A vehicle may have several different variations of engine plus trim levels which all may alter any car's nose weight.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Another issue is the chances of any police officer having access to information regarding nose weight of any vehicle is highly unlikely as that data is difficult to obtain. A vehicle may have several different variations of engine plus trim levels which all may alter any car's nose weight.

The noseweight limit is always shown on the type approval plate attached to the towbar so a police officer would have no difficulty in accessing the information. It is based on structural constraints only so it is independent of engine and trim levels (unlike the towing limit which is dependent on chassis and powertrain constraints).

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The noseweight limit is always shown on the type approval plate attached to the towbar so a police officer would have no difficulty in accessing the information. It is based on structural constraints only so it is independent of engine and trim levels (unlike the towing limit which is dependent on chassis and powertrain constraints).
On some cars, it may depend on engine/transmission - some manufacturers use 4% of the towing limit which sometimes varies with the transmission - eg mk2 Hyundai Santa Fe had 2000 kg towing limit and 80 kg noseweight limit on automatics and 2500/100 on manuals, with identical rear structures.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
On some cars, it may depend on engine/transmission - some manufacturers use 4% of the towing limit which sometimes varies with the transmission - eg mk2 Hyundai Santa Fe had 2000 kg towing limit and 80 kg noseweight limit on automatics and 2500/100 on manuals, with identical rear structures.

There's no real reason why the two models shouldn't have the same 100kg noseweight limit regardles of differences in towing limit unless the permissible rear axle loads are different too. After all, a higher noseweight doesn't at the same time increase the maximum allowable load on the rear axle.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
There's no real reason why the two models shouldn't have the same 100kg noseweight limit regardles of differences in towing limit unless the permissible rear axle loads are different too. After all, a higher noseweight doesn't at the same time increase the maximum allowable load on the rear axle.
I agree - when I had my mk2 Hyundai Santa Fe automatic it did irk me that the manual had the higher noseweight limit and I didn't regard the 80 kg limit with any respect!

It irks me now that my VW Touareg has a 140 kg limit (4% of 3500 kg) when Touaregs in other markets have 280 or 350 kg limits with no structural changes - but since my caravan is limited to 100 kg it's an academic annoyance.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Did you read my previous post where i mentioned towbar limits and also maximum weight on rear axle? :unsure:

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
No problem - the maximum axle weights are on the VIN plate and the noseweight limit is on the towbar Type Approval label - more likely to be a DVSA examiner doing the checking.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
There probably isn't any legislation regarding exceeding the maximum nose weight on the hitch on the caravan.

Actually, the noseweight limit of a caravan is plated along with the MTPLM and the axle load limit. It is plated as “axle 0”, so presumably it is an offence to exceed the caravan’s noseweight limit as it’s on the same plate as the MTPLM.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I agree - when I had my mk2 Hyundai Santa Fe automatic it did irk me that the manual had the higher noseweight limit and I didn't regard the 80 kg limit with any respect!

It irks me now that my VW Touareg has a 140 kg limit (4% of 3500 kg) when Touaregs in other markets have 280 or 350 kg limits with no structural changes - but since my caravan is limited to 100 kg it's an academic annoyance.
Are we worried ? No. The Al-ko hitch is limited to 150kgs so for me the Touareg is ace👍👍

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Are we worried ? No. The Al-ko hitch is limited to 150kgs so for me the Touareg is ace👍👍

What AlKo specify as the hitch limit is irrelevant. It's what the caravan manufacturer states what the limit is on the weight plate that counts. It may be the same, but it could be less.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
What AlKo specify as the hitch limit is irrelevant. It's what the caravan manufacturer states what the limit is on the weight plate that counts. It may be the same, but it could be less.
Thanks. No wonder the average punter in the street gets confused!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
However it is a guideline so probably not enforceable in legislation. I am unsure whether the figures on a sticker on the side of a caravan could be enforce as again they are only a guideline and I don't thi nk the sticker is mandatory otherwise they could never upgrade the MTPLM of a caravan?

However as usual we are getting way off tangent from the original post. The outfit is legal there is no doubt about that, but the issue is whether it is safe or not. In my opinion which doesn't count for much, it is not a safe combination especially as the OP wants to start touring around Europe again.

The OP has been given the correct advice in a number of posts regarding changing either the car or the caravan. It is not their decision. (y) :unsure:

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
However it is a guideline so probably not enforceable in legislation. I am unsure whether the figures on a sticker on the side of a caravan could be enforce as again they are only a guideline and I don't think the sticker is mandatory otherwise they could never upgrade the MTPLM of a caravan?

I wasn't referring to the sticker on the side of the caravan but to the statutory weight plate which specifies the MTPLM and the maximum allowable axle loads. The sticker on the side of the caravan doesn't give details of maximum axle loads.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
As I have mentioned before, on my 2013 Coachman there is No statuary weight plate. I did ask Coachman about it, and they said for that year it might or might not have one.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
As I have mentioned before, on my 2013 Coachman there is No statuary weight plate. I did ask Coachman about it, and they said for that year it might or might not have one.

The requirement for a statutory weight plate came into effect with whole vehicle type approval of caravans which was phased in between 2012 and 2014 so your Coachman must be one of the last without.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The requirement for a statutory weight plate came into effect with whole vehicle type approval of caravans which was phased in between 2012 and 2014 so your Coachman must be one of the last without.
To be honest this debate about weights is probably no longer of any interest to the OP as they are legal weight wise? :unsure:

Reactions: Mel and Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts