buying first awning

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site
Where do we start with buying a awning. There are just too many to choose from. We want a full awning, easy to put up, and maybe spend up to £500. Any suggestions on good ones and ones to avoid. Thankyou. Denise

Nov 4, 2005
Visit site
We had the same problem as you. so we decided to go to the NEC show in Feb so we could see them all and weigh up the pro's and con's for each one, it was a real help and also all of the awning manufacturers were doing some sort of show offer ie. free ground sheet, free Alliminium poles ect. We saved the Entrance fee to get in on the price we paid for the awning and had a good day out to. Stean

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site
That is a good idea but we are about 4 hours from the NEC and finding someone to look after three little ones is difficult. The problem is when you go to a dealer they only stock certain makes and seem to have a particular favourite which they try to sell you. Also I would like to look at them up and not many places have the space. Never mind I'll just keep looking.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi Denise,

This may or may not be of use to you.

1. Isabella are normally regarded as making the best awnings. They are expensive.

2. Ventura (I think that the name) are made by Isabella, or use Isabella materials I can't remember which. A lot of people of these forums seem to rate Ventura awnings. They are a lot cheaper than Isabella to buy

3. NR Awnings also have a good rep. They are cost effective and made in the UK (Located somewhere up North I beleive). Available direct at www.nrawnings.net

4. Steel poles are the norm, but are heavy. Most manufacturers offer an aluminium option, but some forum people report poles bending in strong winds etc. An alternative is carbon fibre, expensive but strong.

5. 2nd hand awnings are a mixed bag, if you can find one that has only been used a couple of times and looked after it could be a good buy, otherwise best avoid?

Hope that helps a bit. (If the NEC os so far away, where about in the country do you live, in case anyone has any suggestions).

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sonic, Thanks for the info. We live near St Austell in sunny Cornwall. I travelled 150 mile round trip last week to go to a dealership in Exeter to try and get some info and help and they were very UNHELPFUL. We have a 2005Lunar Quasar and this place in Exeter is our nearest Lunar dealer (we didn't buy it from them) I made enquiries about servicing and they asked if we bought it there and as soon as I said no they didn't want to know. As for help with the awning they didn't have any on display and just handed me a eurovent brochure. Needless to say I am not going back there. Sorry for going off the subject! Denise

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Denise, Ive had a similar experience with the dealer you are on about (just off M5 at sevices?) I too found them very unhelpfull, I personally would not buy a thing from them.

Im suprised they have any customers at all with the attitude they have

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Ive had 3 NR awnings (different sizes) cant fault them excelent value for money. Try Surf Bay Leasure at Winkley Devon they sell Dorema and N.R.

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site
Yes Kevin thats the one. May try the one at Winkleigh thats about half way from here to Exeter so not too bad. If I can narrow my search down to a couple of makes it will be easier. Denise.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts