Buying with a previous damp issue

Dec 28, 2023
Visit site
Hi all
Iv just looked at a swift freestyle 2011 priced at 10k looks a good van very clean. However my only worry is it had a small leak in rear which had been dealt with last month by a professional, the service picked it up at 35%, it’s been fixed and he has the paperwork to back this up, nothing showing on inside of van so all looks ok, what I’m asking should I go ahead or do I avoid ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I’m in a pickle as I really love the van

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Do you know which joint failed? And why?
You could always employ an independent Engineer to do a full damp test on your behalf, and comment on the repair. That may put your mind at rest.
Remember any test is a snap shot in time. No guarantees a future area of damp will not arise.
However it sounds the seller has been honest and open with you which counts a lot in my book

Reactions: Mr Plodd
Dec 28, 2023
Visit site
Do you know which joint failed? And why?
You could always employ an independent Engineer to do a full damp test on your behalf, and comment on the repair. That may put your mind at rest.
Remember any test is a snap shot in time. No guarantees a future area of damp will not arise.
However it sounds the seller has been honest and open with you which counts a lot in my book
Yes he showed the seal which has been fixed only a small area, it’s got a damp test prior to fixing it I’m ok with that but slightly worried about damage caused that can’t be seen, it’s in the corner of a rear bathroom

Attachments

• 051ef314-e944-416c-86fc-24a630ee5c69.jpeg
    051ef314-e944-416c-86fc-24a630ee5c69.jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 14
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Welcome Tino, I fully understand your predicament, the question that must be asked is, Why is the seller , selling this caravan, is he /she retiring from Caravanning, or maybe buying a newer caravan. Or are they getting rid of it because of the same concern as yourself, ie, hidden damage.
Another thing you could do is go and talk to the person that done the repair, although they are bound to say all is good.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You are correct to be cynical about any revelation about damp. The first thing to say is the older a caravan the greater the probability it will suffer from damp, so it is an increasing risk you need to bear in mind.

At least your seller has been honest and declared there has been a problem, And if the repair has been dome competently then it is likely to last longer than the rest of the caravan! but the problem is the evidence is almost always hidden, so it's always a concern.

The question is can you trust the seller and the paperwork you've been shown.

When buying anything second hand, there is an important adage to follow - "Buyer Beware", and that means its essential the potential buyer should ask all relevant questions and get satisfactory answers before agreeing to purchase the goods. In the case of a caravan, its reasonable to have independently surveyed before you agree.

If the seller is not cooperative in allowing your surveyor, then that to me would be a enough of a red flag to make me walk away.

Dec 28, 2023
Visit site
Thank you he seems a genuine nice chap that is selling due to illness which is clearly true, he’s selling the van with absolutely everything included so I’d say he is genuinely giving up he told me about the damp and showed me what had been done, by who and the result of the habitation check, thank you for the advice I think I will get a independent to look over it

Reactions: Hutch and Dustydog
Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
Tino If it's possible for you to check the top of rear panel isn't cracked where it connects to the roof also see if that's the area been repaired..I recently repaired a sealing strip on a 2016 Elddis roof to front panel .. unfortunately not before window frame had rotted and I repaired that whilst I was at it.Good luck

Dec 28, 2023
Visit site
Tino If it's possible for you to check the top of rear panel isn't cracked where it connects to the roof also see if that's the area been repaired..I recently repaired a sealing strip on a 2016 Elddis roof to front panel .. unfortunately not before window frame had rotted and I repaired that whilst I was at it.Good luck
Thank you, I can see the repair it’s the corner joint a seal that’s opened up and been repaired I can keep a eye on it, the van will be kept inside also

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you, I can see the repair it’s the corner joint a seal that’s opened up and been repaired I can keep a eye on it, the van will be kept inside also
:confused_old: Hmmm. Think about your logic... If a caravan (with a leak) is kept inside a dry storage, the leak won't be detectable until you start to use it outside in the wet. by then it's too late.

Reactions: toad a caravan
Dec 28, 2023
Visit site
Tino.
How long has the seller had the Swift?
Has it been regularly serviced with full damp test?
He’s had it seven years Iv seen all service records and the full damp test in November which picked the damp issue up showing 30% the same servicer who done test, picked up issue and then fixed it

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
30% whilst unwelcome is not a catastrophicly high figure and may not have done any lasting damage to the structure. I had a figure in that region when my rear panel on a 2011 (manufacture date) Sprite had a crack in the rear panel. When the panel was replaced under warranty there was no underlying damage. It will all depend on how effective the repair has been. The area in question could take a good while to show reduced damp levels given the impermeable boarding and weather.

Dec 28, 2023
Visit site
30% whilst unwelcome is not a catastrophicly high figure and may not have done any lasting damage to the structure. I had a figure in that region when my rear panel on a 2011 (manufacture date) Sprite had a crack in the rear panel. When the panel was replaced under warranty there was no underlying damage. It will all depend on how effective the repair has been. The area in question could take a good while to show reduced damp levels given the impermeable boarding and weather.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts