C&CC -v- 4x4's

Page 5 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
LB, I think thats true of every reasonable person. Anyone who damages crops when an alternative route is available should be done for walking without due care and leaving their brains behind.

This is another case of the RA syndrone that states "we are right and will do our best to make your life hell just to prove it"

I honestly think that with the right to roam being available, anyone who damages crops (even if a path is marked) should be made to compensate the farmer.
hear hear - just sheer bloody mindedness.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The whole point being that the crops should not be planted on the pathway as the farmer does not have the right to use that particular tract of land. No bloody mindedness on behalf of the walkers, just on the farmers side who thinks that the law should not apply to him. The public right of way that crosses my land has been there since the 13th century, are you really telling me that I should just do as I please, especially if it annoys Ramblers. I don't think so, I will take the advice of my solicitor and try to be reasonable with people who cross my land thank you.I have had to get used to the Idea that jumping up & down, shouting & swearing does not alter my legal obligation to maintain clear & unobstructed use of a public right of way, as many other land owner will confirm. The law is not reasonable or fair, but it is the law. Break it, get caught and you WILL pay the price. This applies to Ramblers, Farmers, Land owners, Uncle Tom Cobbly and All.

Steve W

Steve W

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I can see where you are coming from Steve W about the crops shouldnt be there in the first place but my point was I couldnt just wantonly damage them. Its not in my nature to do it and sleep with a clear conscience at night.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steve

You are wrong when you say the Farmer does not have the right to use that strip of land that is the footpath. He does if he owns it, has grazing or shooting rights on it.

What EVERYBODY has is the right to walk along it. If he chooses to plant crops he can do.

And have you ever tried to stop a seed drilling machine for a path accross a field? I doubt it.

If you own land with a public right of way accross it you should know what you as the owner can do. Basically it is anything you want that does not involve planning permission. What you canot do is restrict access.

So please do not make out the Farmer is being beligerent by planting crops. It is practically impossible to be that selective when planting and he also has every right to do so.

With attitudes like yours it is not surprizing that Farmers but Bulls and Stallions in strategic fields adjacent to crops.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Clive V

It is perfectly possible to avoid planting over a foot path, The farmer up the road from me does it every season, admitedly he does it to enable anglers to get to the fishing lake that he owns and makes a great deal of money from. I would submit that most farmers make all reasonable efforts to keep access routes open, indeed most farmers nowadays need the general public to buy direct from the farm shop in an attempt to stay solvent.

Steve W

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
As posted elswhere!

Many rights of way were established as routes to and from Churches and Villages for easy direct walking for people in Rural areas from their remote home in bygone days.

They were not used by every Tom Dick and Harry who jumps in his car or on a train to rid himself briefly of the confines and

pressures of city life.

I have farming relatives who have seen no one on their land for years some times and then a bunch of Bobble hats take the guy to task as according to their sat nav and maps he has planted over the foot path that has not moved in 25 years, about 5 metres out according to them!

Farmers have enough economic worries, if it were not for farmers and wealthy pop stars and the like a lot of the old homes and fields would be derelict and overgrown.

So if the route is a little out of the way, people should think themselves lucky that they have the time to enjoy the countryside and that someone is working it and caring for it.

All those nice litle Baa Lambs and Calves wouldn't be there for fun.

UK potatoe growers having to Buy a car to raffle to keep in with the supermarket buyers and other practices mean that many farmers need every inch they can use.

Screwed by the likes of Tesco who get planning consent anywhere they want virtually, whilst a farmer has to fight for years to get change of use on an existing building to try and survive!

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
4??

I have only had the 1 break this year. Next one is easter. I am so jealous
Hi steve, i'm fortunate enough to work a four day week and get friday saturday sunday monday and tuesday off every three weeks so we usually go away every friday to sunday on these weekends, we are off to wyreside lakes next thursday to sunday as i am on my spring annual leave all week then long weekend to wednesday. oh joy. we started this years caravanning on new years eve and will finnish two weeks before christmas.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That may be so Steve but it is just one case and the guy has a monetary motive to do so.

But where you have a large field with a footpath running at an angle across it the only way for a farmer to know when he needed to stop seed drilling is if his Tractor had sat nave accurate down to about a foot!

It is that of have helpers marking the lay of the footpath.

But at the end of the day - if you feel justified in damaging another mans property/livelihood you alone must take the consequences.

And just now with the mood of most Farmers after the Foot & Mouth, Hunting Ban, Right to Roam and other numpty meddling you could well be on the receiving end of a thick ear.

You say that "most farmers need the general public to buy from the farm shop in an attempt to stay solvent" - so if you recognise that many are having problems - why make it worse for them by walking all over their crops?

You also say that most farmers make a reasonable effort to keep access routes open - and I would certainly agree with that. However, my friend John who was told by a Rambler not to drive his Land Rover on his own land and where this arrogant Rambler had to stray considerably off the Footpath to remonstrate with John caused John to see "red".

The result was a Bull in the field and warning signs saying "Enter at Own Risk". Perfectly legal and got the point across.

All because one person felt he was on some moral ground higher than a hardworking farmer

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Clive V

Granted you always get the odd pratt on either side of any issue,

I still maintain that as a general rule it is more prudent to stay on the legal side rather than the moral side of a dispute if only from a financial standing.If you stay strictly within the letter of the law it would be difficult for anybody to obstruct your right of passage without falling foul of the local authority, this being the body charged with ensuring that peoples rights are not eroded. Of course it is not only farmers that that deliberately obstruct rights of way, the most persistent offenders are golf courses that alter or obstruct ancient pathways with out any consultation just so their members can knock a small white ball all over the place for no good reason at all as far as I can see. But perhaps most of them think caravaning is a complete waste of time as well.

Steve W

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes you are right there Steve

It all comes down to being sensible at the end of the day.

Being a "Green laner" - we do liaise regularly with the Local Rights of Way Officers and certainly FoDRoW has a very good relationship with them.

Surely the idea is is to enjoy the country side by whatever means as long as it is legal and non-damaging to anything.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Clive V

Granted you always get the odd pratt on either side of any issue,

I still maintain that as a general rule it is more prudent to stay on the legal side rather than the moral side of a dispute if only from a financial standing.If you stay strictly within the letter of the law it would be difficult for anybody to obstruct your right of passage without falling foul of the local authority, this being the body charged with ensuring that peoples rights are not eroded. Of course it is not only farmers that that deliberately obstruct rights of way, the most persistent offenders are golf courses that alter or obstruct ancient pathways with out any consultation just so their members can knock a small white ball all over the place for no good reason at all as far as I can see. But perhaps most of them think caravaning is a complete waste of time as well.

Steve W
Not this golfer, I don't mind anyone walking on the course so long as they respect it and don't damage it. They must also be prepared for the once in a while errant shot!

Armour recommended.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The traditional recognition for a right of way was that if a funeral courtage had walked the path to a church/cemetry then it became an established and recognised right of way. Many years ago a local farmer was prevented from fencing land without leaving access for the right of way and he lost the case on this point. He had to instal a gate and stile for access to the path.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
we had a brand new 307 sw 2.0 hdi we bought a brand new avondale dart 556/6 godiva the max weight fully loaded was 1500 the van fully loaded was 1300.we went to pick it up from the dealers put it on the back of the 307 sw and it almost sunk to the floor i could just get my hand under the back wheel and the van was empty.so the 307 sw went back and we had to go and buy a vauxhall monterey (same as a trooper)3.1td lwb.its like a beast you dont even know the van is on the back.

so david bellamy what car do you drive?.

do you own a caravan?.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
we had a brand new 307 sw 2.0 hdi we bought a brand new avondale dart 556/6 godiva the max weight fully loaded was 1500 the van fully loaded was 1300.we went to pick it up from the dealers put it on the back of the 307 sw and it almost sunk to the floor i could just get my hand under the back wheel and the van was empty.so the 307 sw went back and we had to go and buy a vauxhall monterey (same as a trooper)3.1td lwb.its like a beast you dont even know the van is on the back.

do you own a caravan?.
Hi Joanne - Even tho' I am a Land Rover "Nut" the abilities if the "Trooper" is very well respected.

Especially all that load space and that engine (tho' watch out for the 3.0 - bit of a problem there! so pleased to see you have the 3.1 L).

Also - did you know that the Australian armed forces selected Land Rovers BUT - with Isuzu diesel engines!

Happy and safe towing!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site

do you own a caravan?.
He cant hear you ... hes in his villa in Tuscany at the moment.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi Joanne - Even tho' I am a Land Rover "Nut" the abilities if the "Trooper" is very well respected.

Especially all that load space and that engine (tho' watch out for the 3.0 - bit of a problem there! so pleased to see you have the 3.1 L).

Also - did you know that the Australian armed forces selected Land Rovers BUT - with Isuzu diesel engines!

Happy and safe towing!
thanks

May 18, 2005
Visit site

do you own a caravan?.
Has anyone actually read the article by David Bellamy properly because he seems to be saying that using a 4x4 to negotiate a muddy campsite is ok. What he is opposed to is 4x4`s tearing up the countryside.This would seem to be a logical point of view for a conservationist.I am not aware that the c&cc are trying to stop people using 4x4`s unless they are commercial vehicles,and for people to start burning their membership cards is pathetic.I am not anti or pro 4x4 but don`t loose the plot guy`s.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts