Calais to Lake Garda stopover

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Now that the turkey has finally been eaten and we've given up on the rock hard mince pies our thoughts have turned to our summer trip and wondered if anyone could give me some advice please. We are planning a holiday to Lazaise in Lake Garda and would like one overnight stop on route from Calais probably about half way. Does anyone know of a suitable site not too far off the motorway. We have never done this journey before as we normally go to the south of France or Spain so any help would be most appreciated.
Thank you and Happy New Year.
Timbo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
What routes are you considering? And how far do you believe you can get from Calais before calling it a day?because obviously depending at what time of the day you cross will effect how far you can get...Halfway would be about 370 miles from the port or around the Strasbourg area, if one was using a toll route through France..

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
We are planning on getting the 05.55 ferry from Dover so we get an early start in France. We want to stick to the toll roads as much as possible. Any ideas? Dont mind a full day of driving.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
We stayed at a place called municipal molsheim, must be 9 years ago, you can find it on the acsi camping site, just under and to the side of Strasbourg. now we didn't actually tow but were in a party that did. we got off the A4 at servene and went cross country, but its only a few miles off the A35 i think thats the road name. Clean good site but like I said possibly 380 to 400 miles from the port, but also not out of your way and good acess back onto the A35 to head towards Basle.....Good luck

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
We always go from Calais through Belgium and Germany to Austria but think you will need at least 2 stops going that far.
We stop near to Bitburg in Germany but you could possibly get further than that the first day, then direction Stuttgart turning right at Ulm and down over the Fern Pass onto the Brenner and then down to Garda. You could stop near to Ulm and then Innsbruck for the 2 stops. No big tolls just Austrian Vingette and the Brenner Pass. Have a look on my website for ideas and names of sites as address in my signature to this post.

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi there
We go to Italy every year and like to use the German / Austrian route. We do not use the Fern Pass but follow the main autobahn around Munich and enter Austria near Kufstein and then head for Innsbruck and the Brenner. This route is a little longer than the Fern but we have found it to be quicker and easier although not as pretty. Which ever major route you use ( Switzerland or Austri ) it is about 800 miles (plus or minus a few) from Calais to the bottom of Lake Garda. We have never done the route in just 2 days, ie with one nights stop. I like to take 2 stops and then arrive on Garda with enough time to set up on site. Do not try to tow from Riva at the top of the lake as the roads are narrow and difficult. It is a an experience worth doing solo though.
If you decide to take 2 stops then these are two good site we use.
Camping Officiel just north of Arlon near Luxembourg
Camping Lech about a mile off junction 73 Augsburg, there are other site in the same area also but I am not sure what they are like.
If you want any other information do ask.
Happy travels BarryB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts