Calor Gas Again!

Page 7 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
One can buy a spray to show any gas leaks, but not sure if will highlight any issues with the valve gear leaking. I guess a lot depends on how often it is refilled and whether the cylinder is subject to abuse?
A leak spray might identify some potential problems but not necessarily all, and by itself it would not constitute the periodic cylinder test which is set out in statutes.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As I use less than 2x6 kg propane bottle a year, the cost of transferring to Gaslites for me is not worth it. I would need two 5 kg bottles and a connector,

I would only carry two calor bottles if one was really low .
Gaslites refill cost for a 5kg is £38.50, Calor 6kg is £28. . I have enough spare weight in the caravan to carry the Calor heavies.
If I was starting out as a Newbie it might be different.
Regarding prices that is interesting as we pay less than £10 to refill our 7.5kg Safefill. We have only been refilling 2 - 3 times year, but expect that to increase due to metered pitches coming into play on a number of sites so either way we can make quite a saving.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As I use less than 2x6 kg propane bottle a year, the cost of transferring to Gaslites for me is not worth it. I would need two 5 kg bottles and a connector,

I would only carry two calor bottles if one was really low .
Gaslites refill cost for a 5kg is £38.50, Calor 6kg is £28. . I have enough spare weight in the caravan to carry the Calor heavies.
If I was starting out as a Newbie it might be different.
Either are still miles cheaper than blue Campinggaz bottles. 1.8kg £33 approx

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think their little CV470 cylinders work out even more expensive!
Surprisingly the CV 470 628 gm at £8 from Millets work out at £23 for 1.8 kg which is substantially cheaper than the R904…Camping Gaz exchange cylinder now at £36+ 🙁

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
According to the statutes, how often should a periodic cylinder test be done?

All cylinders should be hydrostatically tested every 10 years. I believe all consumables , valves etc are replaced without question.

How self filled one’s are controlled , I don’t know.

BS EN 14208 should help you
: Transportable gas cylinders. Specification for welded pressure drums up to 1000 litre capacity for the transport of gases. Design and construction.
Google it. Couldn’t get the link to work
The above is a British Standard. I’m sure someone will point you to the HMG Statutory Instrument.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
All cylinders should be hydrostatically tested every 10 years. I believe all consumables , valves etc are replaced without question.

How self filled one’s are controlled , I don’t know.

BS EN 14208 should help you
: Transportable gas cylinders. Specification for welded pressure drums up to 1000 litre capacity for the transport of gases. Design and construction.
Google it. Couldn’t get the link to work
The above is a British Standard. I’m sure someone will point you to the HMG Statutory Instrument.
Perhaps the statute does not cover cylinders used for domestic and leisure purposes? Also the Safefill cylinder does not seem to made from any metal alloy?

The relevant standards describing the periodic inspection and testing requirements for cylinders include:

• BS EN 1802, Transportable gas cylinders. Periodic inspection and testing of seamless aluminium alloy gas cylinders.
  • BS EN 1803, Transportable gas cylinders. Periodic inspection and testing of welded carbon steel gas cylinders.
  • BS EN 1968, Transportable gas cylinders. Periodic inspection and testing of seamless steel gas cylinders.
  • BS EN ISO 10460, Gas cylinders. Welded aluminium-alloy, carbon and stainless steel gas cylinders. Periodic inspection and testing.
  • BS EN ISO 10462, Gas cylinders. Acetylene cylinders. Periodic inspection and maintenance.
  • BS EN ISO 11623, Transportable gas cylinders. Periodic inspection and testing of composite gas cylinders.
  • BS EN ISO 18119, Gas cylinders. Seamless steel and seamless aluminium-alloy gas cylinders and tubes. Periodic inspection and testing.

I am not disagreeing with inspection as that is a safety issue, but wonder where a Safefill cylinder woudl fit into the above. For more details on Safefill see https://www.safefill.co.uk/pdf/cylinder-instruction-leaflets-2023.pdf

Safefill are manufactured within the EU so have had to undergo a TUV certification plus UK certification

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
With the weather being a tadge colder again, and as our central heating boiler is on its last legs, it is 39 years old. I thought I would bring in the gas heater from the garage and use up the last of a 13 kg butane cylinder, which ran out this evening after 4 hours use. I have change the regulator over and now using up the last of a Calorlite so that I can get it refilled, I might get 10 hours of gas usage from the bottle
Thankfully the place I know of ,will replace my Calorlite with a full one for £25, and with my other full Calorlite that will see me through this year's Caravanning.

I have plenty of fresh air entry to the fire, 3 different air bricks, so no problems there, also 2 Co detectors and 4 fire detectors.

Reactions: Buckman
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
With the weather being a tadge colder again, and as our central heating boiler is on its last legs, it is 39 years old. I thought I would bring in the gas heater from the garage and use up the last of a 13 kg butane cylinder, which ran out this evening after 4 hours use. I have change the regulator over and now using up the last of a Calorlite so that I can get it refilled, I might get 10 hours of gas usage from the bottle
Thankfully the place I know of ,will replace my Calorlite with a full one for £25, and with my other full Calorlite that will see me through this year's Caravanning.

I have plenty of fresh air entry to the fire, 3 different air bricks, so no problems there, also 2 Co detectors and 4 fire detectors.
Don"t you think it might be time to get a new boiler but 39 years old is great service for your old one

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Don"t you think it might be time to get a new boiler but 39 years old is great service for your old one

That's what 39 year old boiler technology was capable of achieving; ours is 44 years old and still functioning.
However, despite the passing of time and undoubted improvement in efficiency, more modern kit seems to be way poorer on longevity, one element of technology where they have "dropped the ball". Or maybe it's some cash generating ploy?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That's what 39 year old boiler technology was capable of achieving; ours is 44 years old and still functioning.
However, despite the passing of time and undoubted improvement in efficiency, more modern kit seems to be way poorer on longevity, one element of technology where they have "dropped the ball". Or maybe it's some cash generating ploy?
I would agree there as our so called Eco machines are more hassle they they are worth!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well when we brought our bungalow the boiler was over 50 years + and before trying it we had it check out and it was condemned it was leaking gas so we brought a brand new central heating boiler and it been service every year from new it now 7 years old .

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I am waiting for the warmer weather to come first, I will pay a bit more for a 10 year warranty one. Probably a flush through of the central heating system would help, as when I replaced a radiator last year a lot of black sludge came out.

Reactions: Beachball
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
This afternoon put some caravan accessories on fb only on for 1hr he came to collect he saw my 3.9kg propane gas bottle (full ) in garage he offered me cash for it a very happy bunny .

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
Yes, I am waiting for the warmer weather to come first, I will pay a bit more for a 10 year warranty one. Probably a flush through of the central heating system would help, as when I replaced a radiator last year a lot of black sludge came out.

I strongly reccomend that you have a magnetic filter fitted at the same time. You may find that your warranty on the new boiler requires it anyway.
https://www.boilerguide.co.uk/articles/magnetic-filters-are-they-worth-it

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I strongly reccomend that you have a magnetic filter fitted at the same time. You may find that your warranty on the new boiler requires it anyway.
https://www.boilerguide.co.uk/articles/magnetic-filters-are-they-worth-it
We have obtained quotes for a replacement boiler for our daughters house. They range from £2500-3000 for a Worcester Bosch. Both BG and a local specify a full system flush, fitting a magnetic filter and a Siliphos scale inhibitor. The system already has a filter and Siliphos unit.

Reactions: Challenger

Grumpy

BANNED
Jan 25, 2023
Visit site
My local caravan centre have still got Calorlite bottles for exchange and said there is no problem getting more. So I will be going back and getting 2 more full ones.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My local caravan centre have still got Calorlite bottles for exchange and said there is no problem getting more. So I will be going back and getting 2 more full ones.
Which area are you in Grumpy ? As I mentioned, before the thread went to central heating, There is a place in Coventry that exchanges Calorlites and the 3.9 kg propane cylinders, probably refilled by themselves. I shall be using them .

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Which area are you in Grumpy ? As I mentioned, before the thread went to central heating, There is a place in Coventry that exchanges Calorlites and the 3.9 kg propane cylinders, probably refilled by themselves. I shall be using them .

Considering that one of the reason Calor demised the lites were they were failing safety checks, not sure I'd be comfortable sourcing them from Dodgy Dave who's refilling them on the sly.

Potential ticking time bomb. especially if they are guessing how much gas they need to refill them with.

Grumpy

BANNED
Jan 25, 2023
Visit site

I'm in glorious Somerset and the sun is shining and 15 degrees, basically summer!
The Calor lites come from one of the largest caravan sellers in the UK. Dodgy Dave might be working for them, I don't know I will certainly email them and ask them. As their are a multi million pound business I doubt it.
Calor have got many problems and it wouldn't surprise me if the parent company sold it off to FloGas who seem to have their finger on the pulse.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I'm in glorious Somerset and the sun is shining and 15 degrees, basically summer!
The Calor lites come from one of the largest caravan sellers in the UK. Dodgy Dave might be working for them, I don't know I will certainly email them and ask them. As their are a multi million pound business I doubt it.
Calor have got many problems and it wouldn't surprise me if the parent company sold it off to FloGas who seem to have their finger on the pulse.
Every time we go to Brean, we find a reason to pop in as their staff are very knowledge whether caravan or accessory. They seem to have recovered from that massive fire they had a year or so back.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I know this is an old thread .Yesterday at Swindon Caravans a notice says no new cylinder agreements are being offered. Only one refilled cylinder exchange per person allowed.
Is there still a shortage? Can’t say I’ve had a problem at all this year?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I know this is an old thread .Yesterday at Swindon Caravans a notice says no new cylinder agreements are being offered. Only one refilled cylinder exchange per person allowed.
Is there still a shortage? Can’t say I’ve had a problem at all this year?
A number of our local outlets are now Flogas including Gaslight too.. Not good news for new customers of Swindon caravans. I will sell you a new caravan for £25000 but cannot supply you a new gas cylinder…… try EBay, or Flogit, or Dodgy Dave’s Decanting Depot ☹️

Last edited:
Reactions: JTQ and Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts