Calor Gas - Shortage!

Page 8 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I’d assumed that this refers to just taking an empty bottle with no exchange for a full one. In which case £10 to spend in the store is daylight robbery. When you could sell an empty one for £50-70+ on eBay or gumtree.
otherclive well i did not get a card from Go outdoors so i would sell a empty one on preloved

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Just helped with the shortage and sold two 6kgs bottles,to a family who bought a caravan but couldn't use it as they couldn't get gas anywhere.

We've switched to Flogas lite, the reduced weight makes a world of difference and no spanner needed to change bottles, and readily available, very happy.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just helped with the shortage and sold two 6kgs bottles,to a family who bought a caravan but couldn't use it as they couldn't get gas anywhere.

We've switched to Flogas lite, the reduced weight makes a world of difference and no spanner needed to change bottles, and readily available, very happy.

What does it cost to refill the Flogas Lite 10kg? With a substantial price increase of pitches due on campsite sin the very near future, gas may be the way to go.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What does it cost to refill the Flogas Lite 10kg? With a substantial price increase of pitches due on campsite sin the very near future, gas may be the way to go.
They are not cheap and cost more per kg than Calor, but they are available and light. Prices on the Flogas website.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
I thought about switching to Flogas light. Bearing in mind that we already have 3 Calor bottles, so would need to switch 3 at about £60 each, plus 1 pig tail and 2 regulators for BBQ's. (One at home).
When we go to Continent for a month we take 2 full bottles, so the part used bottle is left behind.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site

Like Calor it tends to be a reseller can choose their own selling price so the price asked varies.

I use the 10 kg size and changed two, for an agreed £38 a piece, a few months back.
I recall B&M were asking £43, and the Flo gas depot were asking even more.

What is for sure is that over the last two years the price has rocketed, as for years I exchanged at a steady £28.

Another aspect that grinds with me, is the more commercial Flogas steel 11 kgs propane, so actually getting more product, can be had from £30.50 to £34; there is clearly at present a full-on exploitation of leisure users in the industry

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Like Calor it tends to be a reseller can choose their own selling price so the price asked varies.

I use the 10 kg size and changed two, for an agreed £38 a piece, a few months back.
I recall B&M were asking £43, and the Flo gas depot were asking even more.

What is for sure is that over the last two years the price has rocketed, as for years I exchanged at a steady £28.

Another aspect that grinds with me, is the more commercial Flogas steel 11 kgs propane, so actually getting more product, can be had from £30.50 to £34; there is clearly at present a full-on exploitation of leisure users in the industry
Thank you for quite an informative post. To refill out Safefill bottle costs and average of about £6 so with increase of pitch fees and if metered it will not take long to recoup the outlay. Finding 7.5kg bottles is an issue as we don't want the 10kg bottle.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
I bought a BP gas-lite for the BBQ in the garden years ago. When the Calor-lite issue 1st kicked in (2017?) I grabbed a pigtail with a compression fitting for my gas-lite. About 2 years ago, our B&M switched from Calor to BP/ Flo-gas, and offered a new full Flo-gas lite cylinder for the cost of a refill if you traded your Calor bottle, but didn't actually want the calor bottle back!
I now have 2 Flo-Gas lite (one 5 and one 10) which will fit in my Unicorn side locker just fine, and 2 empty Calor bottles in the shed (one lite, one a regular 6kg). Trying to decided what to do with the emptys - keep them in case flo-gas lite goes away, or get rid to save the space and potentially get some sort of refund. I feel bad having an empty calor lite in the shed as its one out of circulation that someone could use...

Reactions: Thingy
Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Flogas is slightly more expensive, by about £1/kg, but given we only used 2kg in 25 nights away so far this year I really don't care. The benefits of a light, rust free bottle and being readily available far outlay the cost difference in my opinion.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Flogas is slightly more expensive, by about £1/kg, but given we only used 2kg in 25 nights away so far this year I really don't care. The benefits of a light, rust free bottle and being readily available far outlay the cost difference in my opinion.
At the end of the day it your choice what you use :)

Reactions: Tobes
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
At the end of the day it your choice what you use :)
The main thing is availability. I have 2 stockists in walking distance of home who have a regular supply of Folgas lite, and it's easy to get hold of on the road.
Also the 10kg cylinder is extremely light for its volume. Makes a week or more away off grid very easy without the need for a refill.

Reactions: Beachball
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The main thing is availability. I have 2 stockists in walking distance of home who have a regular supply of Folgas lite, and it's easy to get hold of on the road.
Also the 10kg cylinder is extremely light for its volume. Makes a week or more away off grid very easy without the need for a refill.
Good luck with your choice :)

Reactions: Tobes

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I needed a full 6kg Calor propane for the off grid music festival that we're going to over the bank holiday weekend so I checked in Towsure last Sunday.
They had sold out and weren't sure when a new delivery was going to arrive.
On the way home I passed a Morrisons petrol station and they had plenty, so we're sorted 😊

Reactions: Hutch
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Just for the record, Parksy, in your neck of the woods-ish Tenthire Direct at Walsall always seem to have stock for exchange only. Been getting mine their for the last couple of years.

Reactions: Parksy

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
I needed a full 6kg Calor propane for the off grid music festival that we're going to over the bank holiday weekend so I checked in Towsure last Sunday.
They had sold out and weren't sure when a new delivery was going to arrive.
On the way home I passed a Morrisons petrol station and they had plenty, so we're sorted 😊
Morrisons sell Calor?

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Some do, but not all Morrisons forecourts are run by Morrisons, some are franchised through the big fuel companies, Esso, BP etc.

Reactions: Ern
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have an empty 13 kg Propane bottle, I know I should *** down to the local dealer, and ask, but are Calor refilling these at the moment, I know some one in Weymouth use's one when on a rally.

Auto text delete. Pain in the bum

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Hutch........I exchanged an empty 13kgs Calor for a full one relatively easily recently at a small garden centre local to me for the normal price. Main Calor depot 2 miles from me still shut to the public but will deliver for a £5 charge!!
Seems to be you have to shop around like Parksy.

Reactions: Parksy and Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hutch........I exchanged an empty 13kgs Calor for a full one relatively easily recently at a small garden centre local to me for the normal price. Main Calor depot 2 miles from me still shut to the public but will deliver for a £5 charge!!
Seems to be you have to shop around like Parksy.
Thanks Bill, thats what I was hoping to hear.

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Hope this may help someone I got my 6kg calor Propane bottle exchanged at a calor stockist in tickhill near Doncaster, who is my nearest stockist, they had standard bottles but no calorlite.

Reactions: Mel

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts