Calor Gas

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all,
I changed two of my older type 6kg propane bottles yesterday for the newer lighter ones. Having phoned one outlet to make sure he had them in stock, he told me they had them when they first came out but Calor wouldn't supply them any more as they where only supplying the caravan dealers!! So, i phoned another outlet, a garden centre, who had them in stock. Off I goes with my empties only to be told when I got there, that Calor had told them they can't exchange old for new type. Not true says I, it plainly states on the web site I can exchange any in the same group, ie 6kg standard for the newer lightweight propane or butain. I also informed her that i was at a Caravan dealers on sunday who told me they can exchange the older bottles for the new ones AT THE MOMENT. Wait a mo says she, I will give them a call, this is costing me customers!!!! After a call and a call back, Bingo I can change them. So two new bottles in the garage at the moment. It was said that Calor may be short of the bottles, so they are trying to restrict use to Caravaners. Not a bad thing I suppose but they could fall foul of restrictive practice if they arn't careful. Why didn't I go to the caravan dealers, cause they are 25miles away opposed to 4.5 for the garden centre. Anyone else had a problem trying to change them?

Bri

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
nope??? did an exchange on tues butane 7kg bottle for 6kg propane lite cost £21.99 no problems here not fitted yet can't find the propane regulator I have put somewhere.

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I was told a year ago by my High St Calor supplier that they could not exchange normal for light, I would have to sign a new rental agreement and no money back on the old bottle. So I purchased a BP Gaslight bottle instead and gave the calor bottle away as I'm a firm believer in walking away when they do something unpalatable. I haven't put the BP bottle on yet and I've still a small amount in my other backup Calor bottle so I'll try them again when it runs out. If the same happens again, that will be another BP sold and a Calor customer lost for good.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The problem seems to be at calor suppliers? ie shop, garden centres and caravan places.They seem to charge what they want and exchange what they want as they know you are desperate for the gas, most of the time when you have run out.
Prime example is a Post office in the New Forest, he wanted £38 for a 13kgs Propane last year!!!
I always go to a Calor centre , dont have any issues with them and they charge the RRP not that and then some!

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Checked out changing to Calor lite. Can exchange standard bottle but they charge £2 more per refill for the same amount of gas !!. Clear scam. when they first introduced these bottles in 2008 they said the extra charge was to cover "development costs" for the new bottles. I think after 3 years they have more than done that and are now simply profiteering. I will consider changing only when Calor stop ripping customers off. i have emailed them to say so and I would urge all customers to do the same. i am also contacting the Caravan Club to ask them to question calor's unfair pricing policy.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I called local dealer today who said calor keep changing their minds about exchange policy re one type of bottle for the new lite type, he did say he always changing them regardless which is good, currently on calors website it states they will change them at present but I seem to think it said only until July, if you don't need to save on the weight your carrying then there is nothing to be gained from changing, if your cutting it fine on getting low enough weight then its quite a good saving I guess. BP

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
swapped both bottles for the Lite bottles over 2 years ago, was a straight swap, the Lite bottles are £2 dearer and whilst I would like it to be the same as normal propane I can live with the extra £6 a year and that is me using the van throughout the year.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well, we don't call it Rip Off Britain for nothing!!!!!
I have changed two of my bottles for the lighter ones due to ordering a new Bailey Orion which has limited space for gas. I will only need 1 gas bottle installed as we don't use much when on site. We always use electric for the heating, when needed, and for the water and fridge. The only time gas has been used for the fridge,water and heating is when the previous van was handed over and at service time.
So a gas bottle lasts me ages and when its getting low, I use it on the gas barbie at home which I still have a standard bottle in use. I have never, never say never eh!!!, run out of gas on site as we only use it for cooking which is extensive. We have simple meals when in the van or look for a suitable watering hole in walking distance.
smiley-laughing.gif
How long will my gas last, prob 2 years so, even tho the cost is a rip off, i'm not too concerned. NOW the cost of Diesel is another matter!!!!!
smiley-cry.gif
smiley-cry.gif

Bri

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts