Camping Capalonga or Ca'Savio

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
I am considering one of these two sites for this August. The first one will cost me £430 and the second £334. Does anybody have any experience of visiting these? I've never been to Italy either.

Many thanks

Ian

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Ca'Savio has a lot of 'tour operators' such as Eurocamp and Keycamp. This can be an advantage if you have children with you - as there are plenty of other Brits to make friends with. However, if you're a couple then you might not want a site with lots of children around.

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Ian

I thought I'd better reply to a fellow north-westener LOL,we live in St Helens.

We've been to Italy twice with the our 'vans (2006 and 2007). We didn't stay at Ca'Savio but I think that it is quite close to Camping Village Cavallino where we stayed for 2 weeks whilst visiting Venice in 2006. We loved Cavallino -it is one of a long line of adjacent sites which stretch alongside the beach on the Jesolo Peninsula. I've put a review of Cavallino here

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=7387
The above review includes a number of "tips" about Venice and the surrounding area which may be useful.

Our other Italian sites were

Camping La Riva on Lake Como

Camping Roma Flash Sport near Rome

Camping Riva San Pietro on Lake Iseo

I've reviewed all of these on UKcampsite.co.uk (Ca'Savio is listed but, unfortunately, not reviewed.)

Both of our visits have been 4-5 weeks during July and August, we're teachers! Although we have large 7.2 metre vans on both visits, one a twin axle, we only booked one site in advance - the others we just phoned on the day before we arrived. Alan Rogers "Italy" and the CC's "Caravan Europe" guides were very useful.

If you have any other queries re Italy regarding or good routes to get there just ask.

We love Italy although it is, obviously, a long drive!!

Regards

Tim

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Tim and Evans

Tim, thanks for the info which I have read on Italy. We've never been before so all info is useful.

We are now looking at Pra'Delle Torri which looks like a very commercial site, but that will suit my children. I wish I could spend longer there but it will only be for 2 weeks in August. We will cross Hull to Zeebrugge and drive through Germany. Which way do you personally go over the alps?

Many thanks

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Ian

We went the Hull-Zeebrugge route a few years back. It was a good route but rather expensive we felt. For the last few years we have driven down to Dover and used Norfolk Line. Rather a long drive in the UK but we combine it with a visit to my Father-in-Law in north London.

The following is a pre-prepared accounto of my "Italian route" it includes some things I mentioned previously as that's quicker than editing them out!?

In 2006 and 2007 we travelled down Italy via Switzerland. On both occasions we had large (7.2 metre 'vans) - a twin axle in 2006. Although as teachers we have to travel in July/August we did not book any sites in advance but had little trouble finding pitches. I have amalgamated our experiences to give a route which we found reliable and some campsite recommendations. This route is TOLL FREE to the Swiss border.

In 2006 we travelled overnight arriving at Dunkerque at 06.00. After stopping for a couple of hours sleep at a Aire near Lisle we then drove on down through Belgium and Luxembourg on the E42. East of Namur we turned onto the E411.

Berchen motorway service, near Luxembourg, has the cheapest fuel in western Europe. For a night halt near the autoroute north of Luxembourg I would recommend Camping Chenefleur as an excellent night halt near to the motorway. We discovered this site in 2006 when we broke down on the way home and were towed there by breakdown truck. We stopped off there travelling south in 2007.

My review of Chenefleur: http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=7389

At Luxembourg we turned south onto the E23 and, in 2006, drove as far as an Aire near Nancy before stopping for the night at the aire - an excellent day's drive, from Lisle, we felt. The motorway ended just south of Nancy but we continued south past Epinal and then turned west onto the N66. This single carriageway road is a good one which goes through the heart of the Ballons des Vosges mountain range. The views are lovely and although there are some gradients these are relatively easily laid out in long hairpins.

In 2006 we spent a few days staying at the Camping Les Acacias site at Cernay, on the easter side of the Vosges.

My review of Les Acacias: http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=7390

From Cernay we continued down the A35 to Basle where we crossed into Switzerland. In 2007 we crossed into Germany before entering Switzerland which meant we avoided the centre of Basle. I have heard subsequently that the roadworks in Basle are now finished and it much easier to negotiate.

At the border we had to pay for the overpriced annual Swiss motorway vignettes for BOTH the car and caravan. When stopped at the Border point a man comes to sell them to you - 2 are needed one for the car and one for the 'van. We wished to pay by credit card so we had to park up and pay at the office. There are loos there too. We then followed the E35 through Switzerland a fantastically picturesque route

In 2006 we crossed the Alps via the St Gotthard Pass. The queues for the tunnel were very long so we decided to try the pass. It was quite doable even with our large outfit with a climb up long hairpins a long relatively flat part on the top and another hairpin descent. We tried to spend the night at the services at Airolo immediately after the pass but although services were clean and pleasant they were very busy and a lot of noisy folk laughing and shouting. We gave up at about 02.00 and pushed on and stayed at a services lower down for a few hours sleep in the van.

In 2007 we followed a similar route to the above but travelled southwards through the San Gotthard tunnel.

In 2006 we then continued southwards finally leaving the E35 at Chiasso. We then drove through Como and Lecco and up the eastern side of the Lake on the "E36" to Camping La Riva at the northern end of the Lake. We stayed at this site for about 2 weeks.

My review of La Riva: http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=7388

We then travelled on south westwards and picked up the autostrada near Bergamo. We then drove around the southern end of Lake Garda on the E66, E70 to near Venice. The roads were not brilliant until we reached the toll autostrada which were excellent. We drove from La Riva to Camping Cavallino in one day. Camping Cavallino had large pitches and accommodated us easily even though we had not booked just phoned ahead on the day before to see if they had room.

My review of Cavallino:http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=7387

In 2007 from St Gotthard we drove down to stay at Camping Roma Sporting Flash at Bracciano near Rome. We overnighted at 2 Italian aires on the way. From that pleasant lakeside site we travelled into Rome several times by train and went sightseeing.

My review of Roma Flash: http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=7385

In 2007 on the way back northwards we stopped for two weeks at Camping Riva San Pietro on Lake Iseo. A lovely site in a spectacularly beautiful lakeside location.

My review of San Pietro: http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=7386

In 2006 our route home was the same as the outward apart from the fact that we used the Gotthard tunnel on the way home. I hate tunnels but by that time had got a bit more used to them. For the 11 miles of the Gotthard I set the milometer at 0 at the beginning so that I could count off the mileage put my favourite new Johny Cash CD "My Mother's Hymnbook" on, whispered a prayer and went for it.

In 2007 we came back via the Brenner Motorway into Austria as we had had a car breakdown and the CC Red Pennant had only be able to provide us with a less powerful, hired, tow-car. The Brenner motorway is a toll motorway and Austrian motorways require an additional vignette too. The Austrian version is, however, available for short periods compared with the expensive, annual only, Swiss one and so works out much cheaper.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Tim

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi again Ian

A further quick thought. If you are looking for an "all singing" site near Venice Camping Union Lido, just along the road from Cavallino, might be your ideal.

Union Lido is very large but very well organised.It has several, (4 I think) swimming pools, a hotel,holiday homes,a cinema, Church, large supermarket, a shopping mall, its own adjacent sports centre and about everything else one could think of. It does have a touring area too and access to the same gently sloping beach, on the warm Adriatic, as Cavallino.

We visited Union Lido a couple of times to attend the English language Church services held there and had a look around. I believe it used to belong to a large (German?) industrial company and was a holiday camp for their workers. It could be just what you are looking for.

Regards

Tim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Tim and Evans

Tim, thanks for the info which I have read on Italy. We've never been before so all info is useful.

We are now looking at Pra'Delle Torri which looks like a very commercial site, but that will suit my children. I wish I could spend longer there but it will only be for 2 weeks in August. We will cross Hull to Zeebrugge and drive through Germany. Which way do you personally go over the alps?

Many thanks
You must book your sites before you go at that time of year.

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Superb Tim, many thanks. I did try and email you but could not find how to do it on the other site you pointed to me.

I've been bust but will read all of this in detail later with alittle glass of red, after I've picked up my Thai take-away....:)

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Hey Tim

I've tried three sites now all to no avail with 2 weeks in August.

Union Lido looks great. Its very expensive, but I expected it to be, and its available I suppose you get what you pay for. I will do a search on the forum here to see if anybody has been there.

Regards the route; I don't fancy paying the expensive Swiss vignette or french tolls so Germany and Austria looks like the route to me. I think its a bit further. I have no experience of this region and so I don't know if I avoid the worst of the alps (in terms of height/roads) by going through Austria.

Ian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ian

Through Germany is our prefered route to Italy. The Brenner is all motorway with an extra charge (8 Euro)for the Europabruck. This motorway bridge is about 650 feet above the river and worth a stop to look over. The Brenner motorway is quite spectacular but can be busy as weekends with lots of Dutch and Germans heading to or home from Italy. There are a few long pulls especially out of Innsbruck so pull out into middle lane early to pass the lorries. Most people leave the Stuttgart / Munich autobahn at Ulm and pass Kempton before Fussen and Austria. Here the motorway ends and you then have to cross the Fern Pass and go to Imst to miss the Holzleitner pass where I think caravans are not allowed or maybe not recommended. While this is not a bad route it can be slow. I now follow the motorway all the way to Munich, by pass it to the north still on motorway, and head for Salzburg. Near Rosenheim the motorway turns south into Austria and back to Innsbruck. This route is a little longer but having tried both it seems easier and faster. To be fair, if you have time, it is worth going via Fussen and spending a day or two here to visit Neuschwanstein Castle and others in the area. (Neuschwanstein is the fairy tale castle on biscuit tins and jigsaws). Heading to Stuttgart in Germany you would do well to cross Luxembourg and fill up with cheaper fuel. You will need a vingette for Austria but it costs only 8 Euro for 10 days and includes the caravan.

Hope this is of use.

Happy Travels BarryB

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
It most certainly is useful Barry.

You have confirmed sort of what I thought. Luxembourg, Munich and Salzburg. Thats 926 miles. According to my Autoroute its actually 15 miles shorter than using the Brenner pass as you suggested.

I think I will therefore have 2 overnights. Just after Luxembourg/Mannheim, then Villach in Austria just shy of the Italian border. I've no idea if there are any sites round there. Thats way down my list of priorities after booking the italy site, ferry crossing, flight for my daughter to fly directly there (17 year olds don't dig driving across europe towing a van).

I wish I could take more time on the way there/back but its already 3 weeks by the time I travel there and back and stay for 2.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It most certainly is useful Barry.

You have confirmed sort of what I thought. Luxembourg, Munich and Salzburg. Thats 926 miles. According to my Autoroute its actually 15 miles shorter than using the Brenner pass as you suggested.

I think I will therefore have 2 overnights. Just after Luxembourg/Mannheim, then Villach in Austria just shy of the Italian border. I've no idea if there are any sites round there. Thats way down my list of priorities after booking the italy site, ferry crossing, flight for my daughter to fly directly there (17 year olds don't dig driving across europe towing a van).

I wish I could take more time on the way there/back but its already 3 weeks by the time I travel there and back and stay for 2.
Hi again Ian

We have done the Salzburg to Villach route also when going direct to Venice. It is a sound and easy motorway but there are 2 short tunnels to go through (about 8 euros each I think). They restrict the traffic flow at times and you may have traffic lights at stop.....yes on the motorway...so be warned. Also there are several sites in the books you can use near Villach. You might find this web site of use also http://users.telenet.be/leo.huybrechts/snelweg.htmo

Happy Travels BarryB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts