Camping La Rive

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just a quick line to ask, have you stayed at this site in Biscarrosse? What did you think, good or bad. Are the pitches large and well spaced out? Is there a supermarket close to the site?

Thanks for your help in advance

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi geoff we stayed at la rive near biscarosse a couple of years ago the site is large pitches a good size and a well stocked shop on site nice pool area and small bar/cafe well run on the lake which is very large but shallow job to get in to water deep enough to swim there is also a english run sailing club for schools so you will find it a bit noisy at times.but we enjoyed our stay and would go back if we were in the area not far from archashon lovley beach and plenty bike tracks have a nice time peter

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Hiya we have been looking to go back to france again next year and have been looking at la rive. Which route did you take ferry wise and how long from the ferry port? Sorry to be a pain just to check it wont be too long with 3 young kids. Site looks like exactly what where looking for, total mixture thanks again Tracy ~

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi we went via le havre stayed on a site near poitiers near futurscope then around bordeaux ring road try mappy or michlien route planner they are very good have a lovley time we are going back to portugal/spain next year pete

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Geoff

We stayed at la Rive on the last week of our hols, arrived back saturday gone. For a site near the coast it was good, brill pool for kids and oldies. Very good cycle paths that are safe too !

We drove back from site to Tours in 3.75 hours and Tours to Le have in 5 hours, just kept cruise on where poss at 75. So it is possible to do the drive in a day easy, it motorway nearly all the way.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tracey, If you go to Caen the route to Biscarosse is easy going. I go to the landes area regularly and been to sites at Biscarosse but have only visited La Rive. It is a really good area and the site has an access beach onto the lake which is fresh water and safe for children.

If going to Caen you could be in Tours in 5 - 6 hours and on the Aoutoroute A 10 for Bordeaux. A realistic driving time Caen to the site would be 12 - 14 hours.

There is no problem if you want a night stop there are many municipal sites I have used and could recommend if you go that way. Ray

Aug 5, 2005
Visit site
Ray, could you give me some advice? I read your post that you go to the Landes area and I am interested in going to Le Col Vert on lac Leon, are you familiar with this area or the site, I have 3 kids 15,13 and 6 who would love all the watersports. It looks so interesting because you have the lake and the sea close, but have not ventured that far south before- we have only been to Brittany and the Loire.Any comments would be fab!

Thanks in advance

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Jaqui, I have just returned from Le Col Vert having spent two weeks there at the end of July and beginning of August. I also stayed there in 2001.

Its a great site with good size pitches and very good sanatiers. The pitches are all shaded and it is commercial without being over the top and is very family orientated.It has its own beach onto the lake, which is great for kids and just outside is a larger municipal beach. There is lots to do in the area, St Girons beach is not far as is Mimizan. Leon is quite a nice town and we went to the night market at Dax. It has a web site just put la col vert into a search engine. if you have any particular query please come back to me. Ray

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Jaqui, I have just returned from Le Col Vert having spent two weeks there at the end of July and beginning of August. I also stayed there in 2001.

Its a great site with good size pitches and very good sanatiers. The pitches are all shaded and it is commercial without being over the top and is very family orientated.It has its own beach onto the lake, which is great for kids and just outside is a larger municipal beach. There is lots to do in the area, St Girons beach is not far as is Mimizan. Leon is quite a nice town and we went to the night market at Dax. It has a web site just put la col vert into a search engine. if you have any particular query please come back to me. Ray
Jacquie web site is www.colvert.com Ray

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tracey, If you go to Caen the route to Biscarosse is easy going. I go to the landes area regularly and been to sites at Biscarosse but have only visited La Rive. It is a really good area and the site has an access beach onto the lake which is fresh water and safe for children.

If going to Caen you could be in Tours in 5 - 6 hours and on the Aoutoroute A 10 for Bordeaux. A realistic driving time Caen to the site would be 12 - 14 hours.

There is no problem if you want a night stop there are many municipal sites I have used and could recommend if you go that way. Ray
Hi Ray, Weve just done Le Harve to La Rive, Biscarrose in 9 hours excluding a couple of breaks, Why was it so much longer from Caan?

Aug 5, 2005
Visit site
Jacquie web site is www.colvert.com Ray
Thanks for your post Ray, I think the site looks ideal...what about the pool areas did they get crowded for such a large site?I suppose with having the lake as an added bonus it may even it out. What about supermarkets etc.?Noise levels at night time? And what was the entertainment etc like? Did you need to buy bracelets etc for facilities?Thanks very much for your help Ray.

Aug 5, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for your post Ray, I think the site looks ideal...what about the pool areas did they get crowded for such a large site?I suppose with having the lake as an added bonus it may even it out. What about supermarkets etc.?Noise levels at night time? And what was the entertainment etc like? Did you need to buy bracelets etc for facilities?Thanks very much for your help Ray.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Marie, I didn't say how long it took me, I said 12 - 14 hours is realistic for a journey of approx 500 miles including stops.

(It takes me 9 hours to get from Poole to Glasgow solo). The section from Caen to Tours is not all auto route and on some sections a good average would be 40mph. Tracey may not be so cavalier with her speed as you and may be unhappy at cruising at 75 mph. She may also of course treat the journey as part of her holiday and see some of France on the way. Please don't take that as a criticism as its up to you what you do with your family aboard and you may have a particularly special car / caravan combination.

I see that you took 3.75 hours to get from site to Tours. Assuming a fairly fast time of 3/4 hour from Biscarosse to Bordeaux and taking into account that the autoroute section around Bordeaux can be fairly slow and say a max of 60mph, it means you travelled the 200 miles from Bordeaux to Tours in say 2.5 hours hours allowing for a short break. That makes an average speed of 85mph.Thats some going with a caravan on the back, lucky no lorries slowed you down.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Jacqui, bracelets are required they get fitted when you arrive and you pay a deposit as you do for the access barrier.

There is a good small supermarket on site plus pizza bar,take away or eat in - (outside really at nice table area). There is also a more formal restaurant at the bar / entertainment area near the access gate.

Entertainment is variable, some nights very good other nights disco / karaoke. They had a Basque folk group one night who danced on the long stilts famous in the area.

There is no noise at night although of course there are still people moving about at midnight - after all it is still hot and people are on holiday but quite subdued and very civil. There is a teenage disco which I think starts about 11ish and goes on till 2 or 3 am ( I never went!) but it is not near the caravan locations.

There is an outside and indoor pool. The 'indoor' one has a sliding roof and sides which can be closed if it rains. It is not particularly busy but in line with the norm gets busy late afternoon.

If you go to the website call up the site layout map and if you hover over the icons you can see the pool etc. The ERABLES (maple) area is good and close to the site beach.

I hope this all helps. Ray

Aug 5, 2005
Visit site
Jacqui, bracelets are required they get fitted when you arrive and you pay a deposit as you do for the access barrier.

There is a good small supermarket on site plus pizza bar,take away or eat in - (outside really at nice table area). There is also a more formal restaurant at the bar / entertainment area near the access gate.

Entertainment is variable, some nights very good other nights disco / karaoke. They had a Basque folk group one night who danced on the long stilts famous in the area.

There is no noise at night although of course there are still people moving about at midnight - after all it is still hot and people are on holiday but quite subdued and very civil. There is a teenage disco which I think starts about 11ish and goes on till 2 or 3 am ( I never went!) but it is not near the caravan locations.

There is an outside and indoor pool. The 'indoor' one has a sliding roof and sides which can be closed if it rains. It is not particularly busy but in line with the norm gets busy late afternoon.

If you go to the website call up the site layout map and if you hover over the icons you can see the pool etc. The ERABLES (maple) area is good and close to the site beach.

Thanks so much for the prompt reply Ray,excellent info on the site,I am getting excited already. I makes such a difference to know that somebody has been recently and it is as good as the website says it is.

Kind Regards

Jacqui

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site

Hi Thanks Ray for the responses, we were looking at portsmouth - caen just at pres deciding definate sites. Went to France last year and booked through caravan club who were brilliant and fantastic price, were going this year with select sites brilliant price again but unfortunately had to cancel, and preferences whom to book with or do I book direct any info greatly appreciated as only been abroard the once in 12yrs of caravaning, had 3 wks cornwall this yr with fantastic weather brilliant but spent twice as much as the 3 wks in brittany last year were the weather was awful. Thanks for the any info Tracy ~

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ray,

Get your point on senic route. Got my times wrong it was 4hours 20 mins driving time. We did the 90 kilometers around ring road hit the A10 peage so on the motorway our mileage was approx 75mph. No special car just mondeo 2.0 diesel, but I never drive back up with a fully laden caravan. The road on their motorways are so good the van never budges or sticks like glue. I agree with you in this country it always takes ages to get from A to B solo/towing our roads are appalling!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tracey, There are several good sites around Biscarosse and many more between there and Biaritz.There are of course many ways to get to France, I use Poole to Cherbourg to support my local port. I am lazy and must also take my holidays during school breaks, so if there is a site in C&CC Carefreee, or CC equivalent I usually book the ferry and the main site with them, and find my own sites for the rest of the time. It is of course a personal thing and I have booked direct with site and the ferry. I don't know what you want but if you have youngsters then then La Rive is as good as any that are on the lake. If you want the whole beach experience then Airotel Saint Martin at Moliets Plage is the place to be. I would avoid La Reserve as I found it to remote, and a bit captive, whereas I like a stroll in the evenings to local bars etc.

If you want any info on night halts at municipal sites let me know.

If you fancy a 2 day break at Poitiers a visit to Futuro Scope is to be recommended especially if you can stay for the midnight laser / hologram show ( not sure if its only on Fridays and Saturday nights). Parc de St Cyr is a good site if you do.

Anything specific you want to know just ask. Ray

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tracey, There are several good sites around Biscarosse and many more between there and Biaritz.There are of course many ways to get to France, I use Poole to Cherbourg to support my local port. I am lazy and must also take my holidays during school breaks, so if there is a site in C&CC Carefreee, or CC equivalent I usually book the ferry and the main site with them, and find my own sites for the rest of the time. It is of course a personal thing and I have booked direct with site and the ferry. I don't know what you want but if you have youngsters then then La Rive is as good as any that are on the lake. If you want the whole beach experience then Airotel Saint Martin at Moliets Plage is the place to be. I would avoid La Reserve as I found it to remote, and a bit captive, whereas I like a stroll in the evenings to local bars etc.

If you fancy a 2 day break at Poitiers a visit to Futuro Scope is to be recommended especially if you can stay for the midnight laser / hologram show ( not sure if its only on Fridays and Saturday nights). Parc de St Cyr is a good site if you do.

Tracy, see you have 3 young kids so perhaps Futuroscope not for you. Biscaorosse is not to far for you to venture but I think you should think about breaking your journey.There is a very good Municipal site at Sainte Maure de Touraine which is 40km south of Tours, which time wise is about half way.It is within 1 mile of the A10 autoroute junction 25. Ray

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site

Hi Ray, Thanks for all your help and advice still undecided as of yet where to go so many sites to chose from, want to make the right choice hopefully anyway......

Loved Brittany when we went there went to Concarneau, but fancy trying further down this time hopefully get a bit of sunshine

thanks again tracy ~

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts